The Student Room Group

Contraceptive advice

Hi. I am gutted as I've recently had to be taken off my combined pill for which I have been on for several years without any issues.
I am very good at taking the pill, same time every day without fail.
But, I can't decide which new contraceptive to take?
I'm really struggling and it's getting me down because I know the combined pill works, I've never had any bad side effects or irregular bleeding, however most other contraceptives seem to, or have terrible side effects.
Can anyone shed some light on the situation?
I've heard:

-POP/mini pills give irregular bleeding although those containing Desogestrel are just as effective as the combined, can give acne and weight gain
-The implant is similar but have heard more weight gain stories from this
-The copper coil gives heavier more prolonged irregular bleeding
-The hormonal coil is similar to POP
and I don't think the rest are as effective e.g. patch, condoms etc.

please help, any advice welcome, I'm more leaning towards the pills or hormonal coil.
I've only been on a series of 3 different combined pills, so from a personal experience I don't have much to say. However, what others experience isn't likely to always be what you experience, although I assume you know that.

You can also get injections that can stop pregnancy. Not sure how often these are given. But the effects wear off over time. But if you hate needles just as much as me, I don't advise it as it's given through a insensitive part of your backside, not your arm.
Reply 2
I've been on the combined pill but came off of it a year ago as a nurse had recommended an implant. It's the best decision I've made. I'm not sure about the weight gain as I haven't had too many problems, nothing that can't be fixed with regular exercise and healthy diet. My periods have stopped completely which is a blessing. Overall, it's been great. Also it is 99.9% effective which is quite fab.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I am gutted as I've recently had to be taken off my combined pill for which I have been on for several years without any issues.

I'm really struggling and it's getting me down because I know the combined pill works, I've never had any bad side effects or irregular bleeding, however most other contraceptives seem to, or have terrible side effects.
I've heard:

-POP/mini pills give irregular bleeding although those containing Desogestrel are just as effective as the combined, can give acne and weight gain

please help, any advice welcome, I'm more leaning towards the pills or hormonal coil.

For what reason were you taken off the pill you were on?
I have experience of using the combo-pill, I had the implant for 2 x 3years and now I have the IUS/Mirena coil.
I can't recommend the implant or the coil enough. Don't be put off by horror stories of weight gain, etc because everyone's body will react differently to hormonal contraception.
I'd recommend the website https://bedsider.org
Even better, get down to a family planning clinic and discuss your needs there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I saw someone mentioned the injections above as a form of contraceptive and I do not recommend it at all as weight gain is DEFINITELY a side effect. The contraceptive implant is probably your best bet, and it doesn't give me weight gain, but everybodys body is different. You can trial it out for a while and see how your body reacts to it?

I don't recommend the coil as there's a chance it can become misplaced and it causes cramps and it's quite sore.
Reply 5
Original post by Hamo2509
For what reason were you taken off the pill you were on?
I have experience of using the combo-pill, I had the implant for 2 x 3years and now I have the IUS/Mirena coil.
I can't recommend the implant or the coil enough. Don't be put off by horror stories of weight gain, etc because everyone's body will react differently to hormonal contraception.
I'd recommend the website https://bedsider.org
Even better, get down to a family planning clinic and discuss your needs there.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I was taken off because while at work (I thought this was a stress or other unrelated health matter) I felt dizzy and had floaters/loss of vision, I didn't have a headache but it kept happening, I thought it was due to never working long shifts before as now I am off work it hasn't happened. But the doctors have said that its migraine with aura, so I cannot have the combined pill. Yeah, I may look into the implant more, I think I it should also be similar to the pill containing desogestrel, so torn between the two. But thanks for the positive reply, I always hear negative stories so good to hear something nice
Reply 6
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Hi, I saw someone mentioned the injections above as a form of contraceptive and I do not recommend it at all as weight gain is DEFINITELY a side effect. The contraceptive implant is probably your best bet, and it doesn't give me weight gain, but everybodys body is different. You can trial it out for a while and see how your body reacts to it?

I don't recommend the coil as there's a chance it can become misplaced and it causes cramps and it's quite sore.

Hi, thanks for your reply, yeah if possible I would like to avoid the coil, but if it had the less side effects I'd go for it. However, I definitely don't want weight gain so will rule that out. Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by itsgreta
I've been on the combined pill but came off of it a year ago as a nurse had recommended an implant. It's the best decision I've made. I'm not sure about the weight gain as I haven't had too many problems, nothing that can't be fixed with regular exercise and healthy diet. My periods have stopped completely which is a blessing. Overall, it's been great. Also it is 99.9% effective which is quite fab.

Hello, thanks for your reply, can I ask why you got taken off the combined pill? that's good that its stopped your periods, I would much prefer that than irregular periods or spotting. Thanks :smile:
you're going to hear good and bad stories about everything! if something was terrible then they probably wouldn't keep offering it on the NHS - speak to your GP about what side effects most concern you (e.g. I told my GP I was concerned about mood changes and weight gain and she recommended what she felt was least likely to cause those in her experience) and hopefully they can guide you

you've always got to consider what you are happy to do, I would never be okay with getting injections in my bum every few months personally, some people are freaked out by the implant etc

remember if you don't like something all of these are reversible so if you start to gain weight or experience bleeding etc you can just stop using them and try something else
Which pill brand/name was it that you used? I'm on Microgynon 30 (been on for 1.5 years now) and I have found I suffer with less spots and has much lighter and regular periods. The only disadvantage I've found is that before I could loose weight easily (which I had been intentionally trying to do) while since being on this pill it's been harder (but still manageable) to loose weight. It's your choice and preference really and what you could easily keep up with.
Original post by OliviaBaggaley
Which pill brand/name was it that you used? I'm on Microgynon 30 (been on for 1.5 years now) and I have found I suffer with less spots and has much lighter and regular periods. The only disadvantage I've found is that before I could loose weight easily (which I had been intentionally trying to do) while since being on this pill it's been harder (but still manageable) to loose weight. It's your choice and preference really and what you could easily keep up with.

I was on Microgynon too, without any issues but now I have to pick something else so maybe thinking of Cerazette or Cerelle but worried about side effects.
Original post by Anonymous
I've heard:

Get Mirena. I've had it for a few months now and my period is regular and light. Period pain is also now non existent. Also, barely any of the hormones enter your bloodstream which lessens the chance of side effects
Original post by upperechelon
Get Mirena. I've had it for a few months now and my period is regular and light. Period pain is also now non existent. Also, barely any of the hormones enter your bloodstream which lessens the chance of side effects

Thanks for your reply :smile: yeah I think I'm torn between Mirena, the implant and POP pills. But that sounds positive :smile:
I used to take Microgynon but I always forgot. I wasn't using it as a contraceptive at the time (thank god, I'm sure I would have been pregnant a lot!).

I've had the Implanon implant for 2 years now. It has been successful (so far). I don't have the time of the month anymore which I suppose is an advantage however, it has caused me to have REALLY oily skin and scalp. Also made me gain weight, about 8lbs but it doesn't really bother me as I was quite slim beforehand. I'm just glad I'm not pregnant and I don't have periods anymore tbh.
Reply 14
Ive had the copper coil for three years and my periods haven't got anymore heavy or painful although they were longer for the first few months; other women's experiences vary of course. A few of my friends have mirena and say that they haven't experienced the same side effects with it as they have with other hormonal contraception (such as weigh gain, skin problems, mood swings etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending