The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

I failed my first year of Uni, how can I appeal and get through to second?

During my first year, I ended up breaking up with my boyfriend of 4 years and it had a massive impact on me emotionally. I started to skip lectures because I was depressed and barely tried hard enough in coursework. I got my grades back today and I passed 4 modules but failed 3 of them (I passed half of the 3 but only failed due to the other half being absent from the resits). I study English and journalism so it was mostly just coursework, I passed all my exams- just failed on the coursework side. On the website with my grades it says I have the opportunity to resit the whole year again, which I don't want to do because I'm already 21 and the 2 years I didn't go to Uni was through resisting sixth form and taking a gap year. I'm so upset, obviously I feel 100% better now and I regret spending all that time not working hard enough. Is there anything I can say or do that helps me go into the 2nd year???
theres something about Coventry Uni that so many people post on here about failing. I think you are the fourth. Ive answered these questions in detail before.

1. You have to look at the individual rules for cobentry about results and appealing.
2. You could probably have put in a claim for extenuating circs beforehand, but you chose not to.
3. Claims based on depression are only going to be viewed sympathetically of you have medical evidence and support. Its also less likely to succeed the further away from the exams it was. Thye might be sympathetic if you got cancer or you had a bereavement, less so about a relationship ending.
4. Book an appointment with the student advisor in the SU. You have a limited time to appeal maybe ten days, so you have to get a move on and they might be busy with other students.
5. You claim to have failed the course work aspect, perhaps your claim can ask them to let you do the coursework alongside going into the 2nd year.
6. The fact I assume you havent told them about your depression , then it looks to them as though you were just lazy or couldnt cope with the course. This si why you need medical support.

The rules are here. 6.5-6.9
http://www.coventry.ac.uk/Documents/Registry/Regulations%20Academic/2015-16/FINAL%206%20Academic%20Regulations%20for%20the%20UG%20Curr%20Frwk%202015.pdf
You should really have spoke to someone beforehand. It seems as you dont have enough credits, they cnat let you advance to 2nd year. 6.5.2

Speak to your tutor and the SU. They could have kicked you out. There may be scope to resit, but they obviously feel you failed by so much they think you will benefit from a retake. i presume you will only have to retake the failed modules. Do check but asap.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Thank you for you reply! I have got 70 credits, how many do I need to pass?

Original post by 999tigger
theres something about Coventry Uni that so many people post on here about failing. I think you are the fourth. Ive answered these questions in detail before.

1. You have to look at the individual rules for cobentry about results and appealing.
2. You could probably have put in a claim for extenuating circs beforehand, but you chose not to.
3. Claims based on depression are only going to be viewed sympathetically of you have medical evidence and support. Its also less likely to succeed the further away from the exams it was. Thye might be sympathetic if you got cancer or you had a bereavement, less so about a relationship ending.
4. Book an appointment with the student advisor in the SU. You have a limited time to appeal maybe ten days, so you have to get a move on and they might be busy with other students.
5. You claim to have failed the course work aspect, perhaps your claim can ask them to let you do the coursework alongside going into the 2nd year.
6. The fact I assume you havent told them about your depression , then it looks to them as though you were just lazy or couldnt cope with the course. This si why you need medical support.

The rules are here. 6.5-6.9
http://www.coventry.ac.uk/Documents/Registry/Regulations%20Academic/2015-16/FINAL%206%20Academic%20Regulations%20for%20the%20UG%20Curr%20Frwk%202015.pdf
You should really have spoke to someone beforehand. It seems as you dont have enough credits, they cnat let you advance to 2nd year. 6.5.2

Speak to your tutor and the SU. They could have kicked you out. There may be scope to resit, but they obviously feel you failed by so much they think you will benefit from a retake. i presume you will only have to retake the failed modules. Do check but asap.
Original post by Bookaholic95
Thank you for you reply! I have got 70 credits, how many do I need to pass?

You need to reassess being at Uni and maybe an extra year will let you work it out.
Bf's arent worth your degree. its costs you £10-20k.
Go and speak to someone as suggested.
The best I think you cna hope for is them letting you retake the modules. If they are capped, then I would probably write it off and retake the year. Capped marks are fatal for a degree. You need to finish with a good one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

You need to reassess being at Uni and maybe an extra year will let you work it out.
Bf's arent worth your degree. its costs you £10-20k.
Go and speak to someone as suggested.
The best I think you cna hope for is them letting you retake the modules. If they are capped, then I would probably write it off and retake the year. Capped marks are fatal for a degree. You need to finish with a good one.

That's not true, to progress for next level you need to have at least 90 credits, means that you can fail one normal module ( 20 credits) and an advantage module (10 credits) they will let you pass but you need to cover up those modules in the next year.
if you fail two big modules (20+20) you might not progress for the next year. However they might give you the condoned pass (one of those) means that they will let you pass the module without resit it next year. To get that you need apply some rules, for example you need to achieve at least 90-100 credits + have an overall between 35 40% in the total marks module.
If you pass the resits they will Capped your marks at 40% but doesn't matter because the first year doesn't count at all you just need to pass the modules.
Your situation was similar as mine on May I had my results and failed 4 modules, 1 exam and 3 courseworks (online quiz) but I mostly pass all my exams with great score. I pass all the resits except one coursework for just 5%, later I found that they gave me the condoned pass so next year I do not need to repeat it.
Those information are all written in my faculty handbook and I as I was in your same position I asked personally to my course leader.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ermejo22
That's not true, to progress for next level you need to have at least 90 credits, means that you can fail one normal module ( 20 credits) and an advantage module (10 credits) they will let you pass but you need to cover up those modules in the next year.
if you fail two big modules (20+20) you might not progress for the next year. However they might give you the condoned pass (one of those) means that they will let you pass the module without resit it next year. To get that you need apply some rules, for example you need to achieve at least 90-100 credits + have an overall between 35 40% in the total marks module.
If you pass the resits they will Capped your marks at 40% but doesn't matter because the first year doesn't count at all you just need to pass the modules.
Your situation was similar as mine on May I had my results and failed 4 modules, 1 exam and 3 courseworks (online quiz) but I mostly pass all my exams with great score. I pass all the resits except one coursework for just 5%, later I found that they gave me the condoned pass so next year I do not need to repeat it.
Those information are all written in my faculty handbook and I as I was in your same position I asked personally to my course leader.

Well looking at the rules it says.

Regulations for the Undergraduate Curriculum Framework
6.2 Undergraduate credit framework
6.2.1 All courses leading to the award of a degree shall normally be named and all shall be designed on a framework of 120 credits (6 modules or equivalent) per full-time year.

Progression
6.5.1 To progress from one stage of a course to a subsequent stage, whether by full-time or part-time study, a student must pass all modules required by the previous stage, which includes meeting any pre-requisite or any other requirement set out in the course definitive documentation.

A condoned pass is different. Its still a pass i.e they give you the credits for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Well looking at the rules it says.

Regulations for the Undergraduate Curriculum Framework
6.2 Undergraduate credit framework
6.2.1 All courses leading to the award of a degree shall normally be named and all shall be designed on a framework of 120 credits (6 modules or equivalent) per full-time year.

Progression
6.5.1 To progress from one stage of a course to a subsequent stage, whether by full-time or part-time study, a student must pass all modules required by the previous stage, which includes meeting any pre-requisite or any other requirement set out in the course definitive documentation.

A condoned pass is different. Its still a pass i.e they give you the credits for it.

I do not know if they probably updated their rules. I'm sorry, I'm too lazy to check through my handbook but these are what were written and told by my course leader. In addition, my friend from the same course ( Computer Hardware & Software engineer) failed the advantage and a normal module, they've been told that he can progress for the next stage but needs to resit the two modules in the second stage!

They asked to resit both in the second year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm sorry for stealing the thread, but I'm just so worried about today. So I'm first year and just finished taking the summer resits and thought I didnt do well in one of them (below 40%) . I have achieved 100/120 credits with some good grades so far, one of my failed modules worth 10 credits I expect I did kinda okay but another was a mess. I have emailed my private tutor and the University support but doubt i could hear back from them in short time, I'm very worried. Please give my advice on what are the options for me, what should i do as the moment as I really need to progress to my 2nd year..
Reply 8
Original post by Tt.mii
I'm sorry for stealing the thread, but I'm just so worried about today. So I'm first year and just finished taking the summer resits and thought I didnt do well in one of them (below 40%) . I have achieved 100/120 credits with some good grades so far, one of my failed modules worth 10 credits I expect I did kinda okay but another was a mess. I have emailed my private tutor and the University support but doubt i could hear back from them in short time, I'm very worried. Please give my advice on what are the options for me, what should i do as the moment as I really need to progress to my 2nd year..

hey i just wanted to ask how did it go, kinda in the same situation.
Original post by momolim
hey i just wanted to ask how did it go, kinda in the same situation.

I think it might be better to just make a new thread asking everyone on TSR as that user hasn't been on here for about 10 months
Hello,I am in a situation and I’m in my first year studying biomedical sciences and the school told me I have to pass three modules if not I will not achieve my award. Please what does that mean?
Original post by ahmeda115K
Hello,I am in a situation and I’m in my first year studying biomedical sciences and the school told me I have to pass three modules if not I will not achieve my award. Please what does that mean?

Hey @ahmeda115K,

Thank you for your message.

According to my interpretation, failure to achieve a pass in the three modules may impair the award (degree classification) you get when you finish your course. If you are unable to meet the requirements of passing the mandatory modules, you may be considered for an alternate award. The reason is that the course is designed in line with the IBMS and RBS accreditations. Supporting this, the key modules adhere to the HCPC guidelines Standards
for Education and Training and HCPC Standards of Proficiency - the council where you apply for your registration. Passing those modules shows you have the required knowledge, understanding, and skills the QAA Benchment Statement is looking for to prepare you for the working environment.
You can find out more information here.

Because you're in the first year, it may just mean you need to pass three modules to progress into the second year.

I strongly suggest to ask for clarification from the course director (Lauren Acton) or to put a post on Aula and ask the question on there as the lecturers are great at responding on the Aula pages. Also, keep an eye on your Solar account as this will show the official exam board results and let you know if you will progress onto the next year.

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending