The Student Room Group

Britain entering a recession?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skeptical_john
Too early to tell for sure but PMI and other survey indicators are suggesting the biggest contraction since 2008 financial crash. I think BoE are going to be able to prevent anything too major but we will see.

If the economy was performing at a state similar to the late 1950s or the great depression then I'd be worried, but really all you're saying here is that we might get a recession that would be the worst since the last recession we had. When we were in the EU.
Reply 61
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Completely false argument and is like comparing apples to oranges.
Reply 62
Original post by 999tigger
You fail to understand it from a business perspective.
You cnat give any guarantees.
Plenty of businesses are just deciding to wait and see, so many investment decisions are put on hold till they get more information. It would be reckless and stupid to invest beforehand until certain things are know about the future.

They are just being prudent and protecting their businesses against potential risks. Its precisely because the future is uncertain that they will delay. Some businesses need to be in the EU, so it makes sense before opening here, that if we arent in the single market, then they open branches in a country within the EU.

Yes but likewise many businesses (a growing proportion which are also larger than those trading with the EU) would benefit from lower tariffs. In addition, we could lower taxes, such as VAT which would also attract business.
Original post by Codetto
Yes but likewise many businesses (a growing proportion which are also larger than those trading with the EU) would benefit from lower tariffs. In addition, we could lower taxes, such as VAT which would also attract business.

Wrong argument. Its one between certainty and uncertainty.
We now have uncertainty, which means risk and people are risk averse.
Jam tomorrow doesnt work.
Original post by Codetto
Completely false argument and is like comparing apples to oranges.

Apples and oranges are very similar.
Reply 65
Wrong argument. Its one between certainty and uncertainty.
We now have uncertainty, which means risk and people are risk averse.
Jam tomorrow doesnt work.

Yup, i misread what you said.

Tbh it doesn't looks like investment has been hit too much. None of MNCs have relocated abroad and many have committed staying in the uk.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/the-outlook-for-investment-in-uk-manufacturing-industry-following-brexit/

Chief Executive of Raytheon International said they don't really see their plans changing.

http://www.hazardexonthenet.net/article/122215/GSK-makes--275-million-manufacturing-investment-in-UK-despite-Brexit-uncertainty.aspx

GSK still investing £275m in 3 new sites creating thousands of new jobs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/01/glaxosmithkline-and-googles-verily-to-invest-540m-in-join-uk-res/

GlaxoSmithKline and Google's Verily to invest £540m in joint UK research centre

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e538e27a-5001-11e6-8172-e39ecd3b86fc.html

VC firms invest $200m in UK tech start-ups after Brexit vote

It's still very early but i don't think it's Armageddon like some people are making out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lots of warnings coming through now about the economy. The Bank of England is widely forecast to be cutting rates shortly, from the already-low 0.5% (once they've done this cut, that method of stimulating the economy will be fully exhausted) - the all-important Service PMI (which predicts what services are going to buy) is sharply down and many economists are predicting a recession.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/03/ftse-100-to-open-lower-hsbc-gets-pummelled-and-next-faces-higher/

So much for all the lies from the Brexiteers about everything looking much better than Remainers said it would. In fact, if anything, it's looking worse.

Nahh no chance. Business is booming thanks to the brave brexiters and sir Nigel Farage (PBUH)

Britain has made herself an inpenetrable recession proof gargantuan that has the world quaking in her shadow
Reply 67

So far as the comment in the last box is concerned there really is some truth in it.edit well obviously experts do know a lot of things. But all those things they know often leads them to believe they are infallible and other problems that seeing things from up close can bring.

Whenever the predictions of so called 'experts' in certain fields have been scrutinised it's often been found that a troop of monkeys could have come up with similar results by 'guessing'.

Expert opinions in general really are held in too high esteem I and others believe.

How would you or anyone like it if your child died in their sleep and some ******* expert in court said you must have killed it?

That actually happened.And the poor woman went to prison.

In the case of doctors ,don't make me laugh. Read the book,Bodies by Jed Mercurio.Ok that's fiction but there's some truth in much fiction and I understand this book has some truth in it.

Doctors make many many mistakes. But guess what? A) One of the reasons they make mistakes is because lesser staff are scared to question the expert doctor.
B) Experts are often arrogant and are loathe to admit mistakes
C) There's almost certainly a c

I don't wish to offend anyone but I'm passionate about the subject of experts.

The politest thing I can say I think is that I definitely knock a few % points off my estimation of the IQ of someone who is otherwise intelligent but who blindly follows the advice of experts .
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Codetto
Yup, i misread what you said.

Tbh it doesn't looks like investment has been hit too much. None of MNCs have relocated abroad and many have committed staying in the uk.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/the-outlook-for-investment-in-uk-manufacturing-industry-following-brexit/

Chief Executive of Raytheon International said they don't really see their plans changing.

http://www.hazardexonthenet.net/article/122215/GSK-makes--275-million-manufacturing-investment-in-UK-despite-Brexit-uncertainty.aspx

GSK still investing £275m in 3 new sites creating thousands of new jobs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/01/glaxosmithkline-and-googles-verily-to-invest-540m-in-join-uk-res/

GlaxoSmithKline and Google's Verily to invest £540m in joint UK research centre

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e538e27a-5001-11e6-8172-e39ecd3b86fc.html

VC firms invest $200m in UK tech start-ups after Brexit vote

It's still very early but i don't think it's Armageddon like some people are making out.

We simply dont know. the uncertainty is an issue by itself. Thats what may of the brexiters fail to appreciate.

Just because some firms invest doesnt include those who invest less. We will just have to wait and see and whether it was a good idea or not wont be known till we have more date over the next 5-15 years.
According to one person I know, we are still stuck in the recession we were in in 2008, and the media saying we left it by now is just lies. :s-smilie:
Reply 70
Original post by moggis
So far as the comment in the last box is concerned there really is some truth in it.edit well obviously experts do know a lot of things. But all those things they know often leads them to believe they are infallible and other problems that seeing things from up close can bring.

Whenever the predictions of so called 'experts' in certain fields have been scrutinised it's often been found that a troop of monkeys could have come up with similar results by 'guessing'.

Expert opinions in general really are held in too high esteem I and others believe.

How would you or anyone like it if your child died in their sleep and some ******* expert in court said you must have killed it?

That actually happened.And the poor woman went to prison.

In the case of doctors ,don't make me laugh. Read the book,Bodies by Jed Mercurio.Ok that's fiction but there's some truth in much fiction and I understand this book has some truth in it.

Doctors make many many mistakes. But guess what? A) One of the reasons they make mistakes is because lesser staff are scared to question the expert doctor.
B) Experts are often arrogant and are loathe to admit mistakes
C) There's almost certainly a c

I don't wish to offend anyone but I'm passionate about the subject of experts.

The politest thing I can say I think is that I definitely knock a few % points off my estimation of the IQ of someone who is otherwise intelligent but who blindly follows the advice of experts .

You don't even need to go into that depth of analysis. Doctors use science and therefore are able to diagnose illness with a lot greater accuracy than economists which try and extrapolate current data using simplistic models and theory which try to (and more often than not incorrectly) predict future outcome.
They [referenda] are a favourite tool of fascist and reactionary governments everywhere.

you are ****ing ridiculous.
Reply 72
Original post by sleepysnooze
you are ****ing ridiculous.

I know right... this person claims to have studied PPE at Oxford as well.. No wonder he/she couldn't cut it in the real world and works as a researcher.

Edit: I actually cannot tell if the OP is trying to troll us.
(edited 7 years ago)

it's funny because I bet if 52% of people voted for your left wing idols in a general election, you'd forget all about this ideal of authoritarian technocracy, with all the economic consensus *against* left wing politics, and you'd instead support democracy.
(edited 7 years ago)
You fail to understand it from a business perspective.
You cnat give any guarantees.
Plenty of businesses are just deciding to wait and see, so many investment decisions are put on hold till they get more information. It would be reckless and stupid to invest beforehand until certain things are know about the future.

They are just being prudent and protecting their businesses against potential risks. Its precisely because the future is uncertain that they will delay. Some businesses need to be in the EU, so it makes sense before opening here, that if we arent in the single market, then they open branches in a country within the EU.

No, I completely understand what you're saying ^^ but my point is that it's a stupid thing to do
Original post by 1010marina
No, I completely understand what you're saying ^^ but my point is that it's a stupid thing to do

Its clearly not stupid because theres now a massive series of unknowns and thats why they prefer to wait till they have more information. That is perfectly reasonable and logical. That is what most businesses are doing.
What we have now is uncertainty.

We'll know the real picture when Brexit actually happens.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Nahh no chance. Business is booming thanks to the brave brexiters and sir Nigel Farage (PBUH) Britain has made herself an inpenetrable recession proof gargantuan that has the world quaking in her shadow
Thank God for that, I was getting worried for a second. :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Codetto
You don't even need to go into that depth of analysis. Doctors use science and therefore are able to diagnose illness with a lot greater accuracy than economists which try and extrapolate current data using simplistic models and theory which try to (and more often than not incorrectly) predict future outcome.

Sure.

(I'm aware my post had little or no merit and was unfair to doctors but I'm hot headed at times :frown: )
Lots of warnings coming through now about the economy. The Bank of England is widely forecast to be cutting rates shortly, from the already-low 0.5% (once they've done this cut, that method of stimulating the economy will be fully exhausted) - the all-important Service PMI (which predicts what services are going to buy) is sharply down and many economists are predicting a recession.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/03/ftse-100-to-open-lower-hsbc-gets-pummelled-and-next-faces-higher/

So much for all the lies from the Brexiteers about everything looking much better than Remainers said it would. In fact, if anything, it's looking worse.

that good for me gold will go sky high and everyone will flood the market emptying family heirlooms and unworn piece into my furnace
spread this more and I'll have a couple more watches before this year ends maybe my Aston too

Quick Reply

Latest