The Student Room Group

Remarks are too expensive and poorer students are disadvantaged

Scroll to see replies

Stay positive, you may have gotten your desired grades.

Cross that bridge when you get to it - and hopefully you won't even have to!
The system is frustrating. I paid £45 for a Chemistry remark and just missed out on an A*. On the other hand, I paid £10 to get my Economics paper back and found that they had added up the marks wrong . . . Giving me a B and not an A. This was amended for free, but was a massive struggle to get them to correct their mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by miless090
At 16 you do GCSEs and can get remarks then, not unreasonable to think you might have or should've thought about it.

I didn't decide my school based upon whether they pay for retakes or not and I didn't think about it at 16 because people just don't. Besides I didn't have much choice about my school anyway...
Reply 63
My school paid for my remark last year and I am so grateful!

My overall English grade was an E. On one paper, I got a D and on the other I got a U. This was bizarre because I'd been getting higher grades all year.

Both papers went back, and both went up. The paper I got a U on was remarked at a B, two marks off an A. This changed my overall grade massively and it actually meant my entire class had the opportunity to have their papers remarked because the examiner had made such a huge mistake.

I'm ridiculously sceptical of marking now. If my school does want me to pay for any potential remarks this year, I won't be able to afford it which could cost me my place at uni! Why aren't papers marked thoroughly?!
Reply 64
Original post by 999tigger
Dont really go with the one is too many argument. there are millions of papers if the error rate is down ro one ib evert 10,000 papers cant see anything wrong in that.

Nobody is stopping you appealing. the rule changes were brought about becayse of near 20% year on year rises in appeals. Not becayse they were getting worse, but people were using it as a second stab to try and get extra marks rather than the emergency something seriously wrong route it should have been in exceptional cases.

Think its quite easy for them to put an experienced marker on the case and who will remark, but only change the actual mark where they think its a clear error. They will have their boundaries, but expect it to me more than just a grade or 10%. the exam system works perfectly well for millions of syudents over many years. Abusing the appeals process by automatically going for it is one of the reasons they needed to change.

You're complaining about remarks in general and just the idea of them. My point is that since they do exist, they should make it fairer so that at least everyone has a chance to have one because you should know, examiners make mistakes all the time. They count up the marks wrong, they're tired after already marking 100 papers or they were perhaps just ill. If someone genuinely believes they deserve a higher mark, they should be able to get a remark. That is an issue and you can deny it all the time, but I don't see you complaining about rich people getting remarks? You think if its cheaper, more people will demand them? That I think is fairer than just a select group of people being able to afford them.
You have to pay for remarks?! I didn't pay for my english language remark so I'm guessing my school paid for it. Either way my grade and marks were still the same.

I remember I wanted a remark for my French because I was 6 marks of a grade B but then decided it was best not to. You hear these stories of how a person with a grade A suddenly went down to a grade E after a remark and that puts you off.

I'm very sceptical of markings because BBC news published an article saying the grades for IGCSE english last year was unreliable and weren't marked right. Even grade A students somehow only achieved Cs. If that was true then I could've maybe passed english. Another thing is that one of my friend did drama, she managed to get Bs in both her performance and coursework yet somehow she actually ended up with a grade C.
Original post by lahorizon
You're complaining about remarks in general and just the idea of them. My point is that since they do exist, they should make it fairer so that at least everyone has a chance to have one because you should know, examiners make mistakes all the time. They count up the marks wrong, they're tired after already marking 100 papers or they were perhaps just ill. If someone genuinely believes they deserve a higher mark, they should be able to get a remark. That is an issue and you can deny it all the time, but I don't see you complaining about rich people getting remarks? You think if its cheaper, more people will demand them? That I think is fairer than just a select group of people being able to afford them.

Im pointing out that 20 years ago hardly anyone went for remarks, it was only in exceptional circs where people suspected a clear error.

Because people have been remarking as a 2nd chance the number of requests has grown massively. An abuse of process.

You are claiming some sort of injustice over something I think is pretty cheap anyway. You might look at other differences such as students going to private school or being able to afford tutors. they are much bigger advantages and unfair. Unfortunately life isnt always fair. If you always knew this was a possibiliyu youve had 2 years to save some money. You dont even have the results yet, which leads me to think you would be appealing anyway unless you got 3A*.

Hopefully the new sustem will mean fewer remarks as it will definitely mean fewer changes in grades becayse only genuine errors will or should be comepnsated.
Reply 67
Im pointing out that 20 years ago hardly anyone went for remarks, it was only in exceptional circs where people suspected a clear error.

Because people have been remarking as a 2nd chance the number of requests has grown massively. An abuse of process.

You are claiming some sort of injustice over something I think is pretty cheap anyway. You might look at other differences such as students going to private school or being able to afford tutors. they are much bigger advantages and unfair. Unfortunately life isnt always fair. If you always knew this was a possibiliyu youve had 2 years to save some money. You dont even have the results yet, which leads me to think you would be appealing anyway unless you got 3A*.

Hopefully the new sustem will mean fewer remarks as it will definitely mean fewer changes in grades becayse only genuine errors will or should be comepnsated.

I will be getting a remark if I am close to the next boundary since it is my right. I have had too many friends have their marks increased by large amounts. People have their grades increased by 2 or 3. If I suspect I did better, I will get a remark because the marking system right now is no where near perfect as examiners are overloaded by work and deadlines.

Even if I could save money, doesn't mean people less well off than even me could afford it.

The fact of the matter is that there is a remark system and if they're going to have one, they should at least try to make it affordable. I'm not asking for anything more.
I will be getting a remark if I am close to the next boundary since it is my right. I have had too many friends have their marks increased by large amounts. People have their grades increased by 2 or 3. If I suspect I did better, I will get a remark because the marking system right now is no where near perfect as examiners are overloaded by work and deadlines.

Even if I could save money, doesn't mean people less well off than even me could afford it.

The fact of the matter is that there is a remark system and if they're going to have one, they should at least try to make it affordable. I'm not asking for anything more.

£40 is very cheap. you just havent sat enough exams or dealt with qualifications in the real world.

thats the type of reasoning which has caused them to change the rules. the appeals system is for where you think theres been a genuine mistake and not so you cna have anotherspin of the wheel. Now they have changed the rules you are much less likely to succeed.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know why everyone's piling on you here. I totally understand - I never wanted anything remarked but I'm a former free school meals kid and the way people refuse to understand that £40 can be an astronomical amount of money is ridiculous.*

My advice would be- don't post on here about it, because you'll end up getting irritable, bitter comments from people who just don't understand that sometimes poor people need to vent about how the odds are stacked against us sometimes.

Best of luck in your exam results. *
Rather than worrying about the remark system (which I agree is atrocious and high fees deterring poorer students from getting remarks kinda defeats the whole purpose of remarks making the system fairer and more equal for all) the marking system and format of exams needs to be majorly reformed imo. Needs to be a lot more standardised than it is in order to make rogue marking more difficult. Also, we just need to have more examiners to spread the work load more evenly

- I haven't met a single examiner/ex-examiner who complains about the ridiculous work load. Maybe we could make it so that all teachers are obliged to mark a certain, very small batch of papers. That way they're not overwhelmed by the process and are therefore more effective markers.

Whatever the case, it should at least start with getting rid of all the private boards and having one central friggin board for everyone!
Reply 71
£40 is very cheap. you just havent sat enough exams or dealt with qualifications in the real world.

thats the type of reasoning which has caused them to change the rules. the appeals system is for where you think theres been a genuine mistake and not so you cna have anotherspin of the wheel. Now they have changed the rules you are much less likely to succeed.

No matter how much I try explain it to you, you fail to understand my point. It is not about taking another spin at the wheel. I just told you that exam boards are not held up to high enough regulations and examiners are overworked, thus marks are not always accurate or near accurate. Mistakes happen and remarks help rectify that.

In the real world? A2 exams are pretty real to me as they determine essentially my future so please forgive me for trying to draw attention to how the system is imperfect -_-

£40 is not very cheap to me and thousands of other students btw, just so you know.
Reply 72
Original post by TheMouseyS
Rather than worrying about the remark system (which I agree is atrocious and high fees deterring poorer students from getting remarks kinda defeats the whole purpose of remarks making the system fairer and more equal for all) the marking system and format of exams needs to be majorly reformed imo. Needs to be a lot more standardised than it is in order to make rogue marking more difficult. Also, we just need to have more examiners to spread the work load more evenly

- I haven't met a single examiner/ex-examiner who complains about the ridiculous work load. Maybe we could make it so that all teachers are obliged to mark a certain, very small batch of papers. That way they're not overwhelmed by the process and are therefore more effective markers.

Whatever the case, it should at least start with getting rid of all the private boards and having one central friggin board for everyone!

I agree so much with you, they should just try spread out the work. My teachers are examiners and they always complain about the work load so that's where my I guess trust issues arises. I don't have enough trust in the exam boards and the remark fees make it harder for me and many others to get an accurate result.

Original post by such_a_lady
I don't know why everyone's piling on you here. I totally understand - I never wanted anything remarked but I'm a former free school meals kid and the way people refuse to understand that £40 can be an astronomical amount of money is ridiculous.*

My advice would be- don't post on here about it, because you'll end up getting irritable, bitter comments from people who just don't understand that sometimes poor people need to vent about how the odds are stacked against us sometimes.

Best of luck in your exam results. *

Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad to find someone who understands. And the thing is that the money can pile up depending on your luck or lack thereof. Also just the idea of asking my parents for money that they work hard for and not being able to tell them whether they can get it back or not, is the main thing that puts me off getting a remark.

Anyways, thanks again!
Original post by TheMouseyS

They have changed the rules, so there will be fewer appeals. If people hadnt been abusing the system in the first place there would be no need.

£40 is not a high fee.
Reply 74
They have changed the rules, so there will be fewer appeals. If people hadnt been abusing the system in the first place there would be no need.

£40 is not a high fee.

It all piles up. Leave your circle of friends and ask around and get a sense of what life is like for millions of other people besides yourself. Then get back to me.
No matter how much I try explain it to you, you fail to understand my point. It is not about taking another spin at the wheel. I just told you that exam boards are not held up to high enough regulations and examiners are overworked, thus marks are not always accurate or near accurate. Mistakes happen and remarks help rectify that.

In the real world? A2 exams are pretty real to me as they determine essentially my future so please forgive me for trying to draw attention to how the system is imperfect -_-

£40 is not very cheap to me and thousands of other students btw, just so you know.

20 years ago there wasnt this problem, but now everyone has to be so precious and insist on a remark. thats why they have changed the rules. It should only be for exceptional cases where something has really gone seriously wrong. the change in the rules will now make that more certain.

If you wnat examiners to take even more care on a system that seems to be perfectly fine for millions of others, then pay them more money to give them more time instead of the pittance they get. that means higher fees.

You could have out aside just over £1 a week and you could have built up a fuind all ready to pay for your remarks. Plenty of students manage to get a temp job, paper round or do babysitting to earn some extra money. If youd have done some forward planning then you coudl easily have had enough ready.

Yes and I did mean in the real world. Compare the cost of an A level remark to other exams and they will come off pretty cheap. If you ask anyone to even look at anything then its normally £50.
It all piles up. Leave your circle of friends and ask around and get a sense of what life is like for millions of other people besides yourself. Then get back to me.

I deal with members of the public all the time, plenty on benefits, others with lots of debts, so am well aware what life is like when people dont have money. Not my fault you just cant accept that £40 is cheap for an exam remark. If it was always going to be difficult for you and you knew you had exams coming then you should have taken action to save the money or explore all opportunities to source extra funding be that the school or charities.

Why not make an appeal to your headmaster. board of governors or the local LEA?
Original post by niteninja1
Why do you get £15 a week?

If your household income is below 21k a year, you will get £15 from your school through the government
This is coming from a student who's parents are higher earners.
In my experience I'd say you are completely deluded. Whilst at college I saw all my friends get money and equipment free of charge whilst I would have to work for everything I had. And whilst at university I saw all my friends receive over double the finances that I had, to put this in perspective I had a night job and a day job just to afford to live at university. Yes my parents could help me if I needed it but they are not in a position where money means nothing to them.
So don't sit there and expect people to feel bad for you. Go and use the money and help that is given to you on what it is supposed to be spent on.
Reply 79
Original post by Rorytymon
This is coming from a student who's parents are higher earners.
In my experience I'd say you are completely deluded. Whilst at college I saw all my friends get money and equipment free of charge whilst I would have to work for everything I had. And whilst at university I saw all my friends receive over double the finances that I had, to put this in perspective I had a night job and a day job just to afford to live at university. Yes my parents could help me if I needed it but they are not in a position where money means nothing to them.
So don't sit there and expect people to feel bad for you. Go and use the money and help that is given to you on what it is supposed to be spent on.

I'm not expecting retakes to be free for poorer students and £38 for richer ones. I am suggest they just charge a fairer price or schools be allocated a pot of money, which both rich and poorer students could access. And I don't think it is fair that student finance is based on the income of our parents fyi... And please don't make me start on the number of issues that I have had to face due to my income that you probably haven't.

I'm not trying to get people feel bad for me? No need to assume everyone who mentions being poor is trying to garner sympathy -_- Lastly, the money given to me or rather my parents, is supposed to be spent on food, housing and clothing. We don't have much left over to cover any mistakes exam boards may or may not make.

Quick Reply

Latest