The Student Room Group

My guy friend told me he likes me....

On a night out my friend poured his heart out to me (he was drunk). I tried my hardest to change the subject and failed. He already knows i only like him as a friend and mentioned being friendzoned by me in the past. He went as far as telling my friend he liked me (they had only met that night) and she told me all the details.

The next day I thought he would pretend he didn't mean anything he said, but instead he continued to tell me how he felt. I honestly thought he was over this crush since its been some years.

Prior to the night out we went for food /drink and then we chilled at his house which was really nice. I genuinely do enjoy his company and I'm not sure if i should be taking a step back before he gets the wrong idea.

It honestly hasn't been that awkward at all and for some reason we have become closer. Since hes confessed how he feels we've literally spoken everyday - its weird. I've noticed now he is trying to invite me places more and i want to go, however I think he is probably getting the wrong idea.

I don't know what to do. I've made my feeling crystal clear, i like him company and want to hang out but is it a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
On a night out my friend poured his heart out to me (he was drunk). I tried my hardest to change the subject and failed. He already knows i only like him as a friend and mentioned being friendzoned by me in the past. He went as far as telling my friend he liked me (they had only met that night) and she told me all the details.

The next day I thought he would pretend he didn't mean anything he said, but instead he continued to tell me how he felt. I honestly thought he was over this crush since its been some years.

Prior to the night out we went for food /drink and then we chilled at his house which was really nice. I genuinely do enjoy his company and I'm not sure if i should be taking a step back before he gets the wrong idea.

It honestly hasn't been that awkward at all and for some reason we have become closer. Since hes confessed how he feels we've literally spoken everyday - its weird. I've noticed now he is trying to invite me places more and i want to go, however I think he is probably getting the wrong idea.

I don't know what to do. I've made my feeling crystal clear, i like him company and want to hang out but is it a good idea?

Give him a chance to get over it. It's not fair to you or to him if he has feelings for you and you're actually 'progressing' (he'd definitely be getting the wrong impression from what you've said). It's clear that he's not going to get over it until you take a mutual break from the friendship.
Reply 2
If he still tries then you'll have to pull the "you're like a brother to me" card. That usually kills things off
Reply 3
Step back and give him a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was this guy once. You have to break, possibly indefinitely. Sorry.

He won't get over you unless you give him A LOT of space. This might be hard and take time to get right, but you have to try. If you are not interested, then you cannot be friends. Trust me, this is the best solution. If you continue, you will create a long-term hell for both of you.

You've got to remember - cutting it off early is less painful for him. If you continue to be friends (depending on what you're like), he will be led on and the result will either be ugly for both of you or very hard on him. I could have saved literally years of pain if me and this girl just cut it off from the get go. Instead we tried to be friends and eventually it just couldn't work. You need to communicate with him though. He can't read your thoughts so if you do this, it might be a complete mystery to him as to why unless you explain.

Think longer-term, you remain friends (he will hide it but still like you) and you get a boyfriend? Then what happens? This will kill him if you've been close friends up until that point. It will be a disaster. Your boyfriend will hate this guy and be jealous of him. And your friend will hate you.

I appreciate this is not the answer you want, but life is not easy and sometimes you have to take decisions that seem pretty bad but are actually good in the long-run. This is one of those. And it requires sacrifice for both of you. Of course, neither of you may be able to do it. In which case, you may have to let it runs it course until it explodes into a huge argument.

So - meet up, explain you need to talk. Tell him. And leave it at it. But be nice about it. Support him. But don't remain close friends. At least not until he is over you - which could be anything from months to years - you'll probably 'feel' a different vibe when he is over you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
^that post is everything.
I was in your situation where my friend was practically head over heels for me and we tried to stay friends because he was pretty much my best friend, and for a while i had no one else but him, but it only made it worse for him. It excelled to the point where we ended up making out at a party when i was drunk, and the guilt i felt for that was unreal. I never wanted to play him or hurt him but that's what i was doing even if i kept stating i wanted to be friends. I honestly can't even imagine what he must've gone through, it lasted for a couple years. eventually i broke it off for his sake, it was hard for me and probably harder for him but him being my best friend i only wanted the best for him and that wasn't going to happen anywhere near me haha. We're friends again now, and it's all okay but we needed a while away from each other first.
I Wish you all the best?!
Ouch, reading that post was heartbreaking - I can feel his hopes diminish as I read on...
Reply 7

Have you seen high school musical 2 where Sharpay's brother is trying to get the Wildcat to be part of the musical and he's all like hey man no I don't want to, and then they get on the baseball field and he's all like 'I don't dance I've just got to do my own thing' and Ryan's all like hey batter batter hey batter batter swing. Sometimes you just have to be firm in your conviction even when the pitcher is baiting you into swinging if you get what I mean.
Original post by swirly
Have you seen high school musical 2 where Sharpay's brother is trying to get the Wildcat to be part of the musical and he's all like hey man no I don't want to, and then they get on the baseball field and he's all like 'I don't dance I've just got to do my own thing' and Ryan's all like hey batter batter hey batter batter swing. Sometimes you just have to be firm in your conviction even when the pitcher is baiting you into swinging if you get what I mean.

I relate to the fact that you used HSM as an example so much
Reply 9
Original post by emi.hopkins
I relate to the fact that you used HSM as an example so much

have you ever watched The OC?
Original post by swirly
have you ever watched The OC?

no what is it?
Reply 11
Original post by emi.hopkins
no what is it?

Between The OC and HSM you can describe anything in life:redface:
Original post by swirly

Between The OC and HSM you can describe anything in life:redface:

Christ, I shall have to watch this emotionally intriguing movie
I've been that guy. You need to end it.

You said he liked you in the past too, he probably didn't stop and now it's all came out. You texting him 24/7 after he told you this is leading him on tbh. And so would agreeing to meet him. You're doing more damage by keeping him there, and need to keep your distance.

I'd like to say only for a while, but really it's probably indefinitely. Sucks but it's got to be done I'm afraid
Original post by SeanFM
Give him a chance to get over it. It's not fair to you or to him if he has feelings for you and you're actually 'progressing' (he'd definitely be getting the wrong impression from what you've said). It's clear that he's not going to get over it until you take a mutual break from the friendship.

😫 ahh such a shame. I honesty thought we were over this hurdle. Has to be done though, will have to cancel our plans. Thank you.
Original post by UWS
If he still tries then you'll have to pull the "you're like a brother to me" card. That usually kills things off

I actually made a joke about him being my uncle the other day. He wasn't impressed at all.

Original post by A321
Step back and give him a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do! Thanks
Original post by Commercial Paper
I was this guy once. You have to break, possibly indefinitely. Sorry.

He won't get over you unless you give him A LOT of space. This might be hard and take time to get right, but you have to try. If you are not interested, then you cannot be friends. Trust me, this is the best solution. If you continue, you will create a long-term hell for both of you.

You've got to remember - cutting it off early is less painful for him. If you continue to be friends (depending on what you're like), he will be led on and the result will either be ugly for both of you or very hard on him. I could have saved literally years of pain if me and this girl just cut it off from the get go. Instead we tried to be friends and eventually it just couldn't work. You need to communicate with him though. He can't read your thoughts so if you do this, it might be a complete mystery to him as to why unless you explain.

Think longer-term, you remain friends (he will hide it but still like you) and you get a boyfriend? Then what happens? This will kill him if you've been close friends up until that point. It will be a disaster. Your boyfriend will hate this guy and be jealous of him. And your friend will hate you.

I appreciate this is not the answer you want, but life is not easy and sometimes you have to take decisions that seem pretty bad but are actually good in the long-run. This is one of those. And it requires sacrifice for both of you. Of course, neither of you may be able to do it. In which case, you may have to let it runs it course until it explodes into a huge argument.

So - meet up, explain you need to talk. Tell him. And leave it at it. But be nice about it. Support him. But don't remain close friends. At least not until he is over you - which could be anything from months to years - you'll probably 'feel' a different vibe when he is over you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the detailed response. I've been that girl before. I told my guy friend i liked him and he avoided me like the plague - 10 years later we are best friends. It didn't happen overnight we had to rebuild after taking a break (he took a step back).

Ahh this sucks since we work together and see each other everyday. The only good thing is the fact we don't work in the same department anymore.

I've literally told him about all the guys I've dated over the last two years and he's always given me advice etc and he didn't seem jealous or anything. It was only a couple months ago it dawned on me that he liked me, after dating this guy recently he said '' you should of went on that date with me '' - i just kinda looked at him blankly and he laughed.

I guess I have to get on with it. First i have to tell him I can't go out with him this weekend and take it from there. Thank you.
If you like him, then give him a chance. You never know. Don't try to fight it by making unnecessary excuses. Maybe you are holding out for your "prince charming" or something.

If you don't, then cut it off ASAP. Put yourself in his shoes. Would you like to be in love with a guy, who feels the way you feel now?

You have to be fair to him and yourself. Good luck.

I don't think you have made it "crystal clear" based off your paragraph. Seems like your hesitant to say whether you love him or don't love him (romantically) outright. When you figure this out, just tell him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I don't think you have made it "crystal clear" based off your paragraph. Seems like your hesitant to say whether you love him or don't love him (romantically) outright. When you figure this out, just tell him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are alot of things that have bothered me. 1. The fact we work together And see each Other everyday. 2. There have been a few rumours about him floating about apparently he slept with this girl who sleeps around alot, I also heard he asked my other colleague for sex 3. In between pouring his heart out he told me he also likes my work friend 4. He asked out another one of my colleagues that left a year ago around the same time he initially asked me on a date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending