The Student Room Group

Dumbbell bench press injury

Yesterday I attempted a DB bench that was too heavy and I had to drop them on the floor in an awkward way (sort of like an eccentric on a bicep curl). I tried benching a lighter weight today and I felt this sharp pain in my right delt/pec tie in and in my right bicep.

I feel that when I dropped the DBs on the floor I put my bicep and shoulder in a compromising position (which I make a priority not to do if possible, first time I've dropped them like this).

I don't think I've torn anything, but I'm wondering how long I should rest up before I lift again/if anyone else has done something similar (like most, I really don't want to skip workouts).
Until pain goes.
Go light weight, high rep with NO pain and then increase the weight over a couple sessions and you'll be fine.

You will need to miss a few workouts.

If you don't then you could well properly injure yourself and be 6 weeks plus off.

Sounds like you'll be fine in 1/2 weeks and it is minor. Do legs and like hammer curls maybe pulls ups etc ie anything that doesn't hurt.

You'll lose nothing in 2 weeks.
Ignore this advice, train. Keep re-injuring yourself and you will lose gains when in October you still can't bench.
Original post by Unistudent77
Until pain goes.
Go light weight, high rep with NO pain and then increase the weight over a couple sessions and you'll be fine.

You will need to miss a few workouts.

If you don't then you could well properly injure yourself and be 6 weeks plus off.

Sounds like you'll be fine in 1/2 weeks and it is minor. Do legs and like hammer curls maybe pulls ups etc ie anything that doesn't hurt.

You'll lose nothing in 2 weeks.
Ignore this advice, train. Keep re-injuring yourself and you will lose gains when in October you still can't bench.

Yeah you're right, cheers bro
Original post by Dreammachine1997
Yeah you're right, cheers bro
No problem :smile: It is easy to get fixated by workouts. It's a good habit etc but part of that is actually accepting injury and taking a little bit of time out.

If you're anything like me, you want to be lifting (maybe not as aggressively if kids, work etc) when you're 40, 50, 60 and beyond.

You need to learn how to deal with injury. A cautious approach at first of say 3-7 days off gym and then very slow introduction into what caused the pain is going to sort most minor things.

Just use this week as a break. Do stuff that doesn't hurt next week and your bench will be fine a few says thereafter.

I broke my leg. I got shoulder bursitis which stopped me benching for 4 months. Both unrelated to the gym in their cause. Kinda ruins your plans. Been able to lift for 4 weeks now (bench more like 2 weeks) and i look 90% of what i had and i'm leaner. Sure, i'm still down but by October i should be making PBs and at 2-4% lower bf.
Think long-term bro, there will be short (or in my case and many people's cases, medium term bumps in the road)
(edited 7 years ago)
short tempering will always leads longer problems.
Original post by Unistudent77
No problem :smile: It is easy to get fixated by workouts. It's a good habit etc but part of that is actually accepting injury and taking a little bit of time out.

If you're anything like me, you want to be lifting (maybe not as aggressively if kids, work etc) when you're 40, 50, 60 and beyond.

You need to learn how to deal with injury. A cautious approach at first of say 3-7 days off gym and then very slow introduction into what caused the pain is going to sort most minor things.

Just use this week as a break. Do stuff that doesn't hurt next week and your bench will be fine a few says thereafter.

I broke my leg. I got shoulder bursitis which stopped me benching for 4 months. Both unrelated to the gym in their cause. Kinda ruins your plans. Been able to lift for 4 weeks now (bench more like 2 weeks) and i look 90% of what i had and i'm leaner. Sure, i'm still down but by October i should be making PBs and at 2-4% lower bf.
Think long-term bro, there will be short (or in my case and many people's cases, medium term bumps in the road)

Done a bit of body weight stuff (push ups + pull ups), felt decent. Finished off with some tricep isolation.

I've started to question if bench is even worth it, and if I could achieve a decent chest with push ups alone (obvs won't build D cups, but an aesthetic looking chest is all I'm after). This would avoid the risk of future, potentially more severe bench injuries.

My only worry would be if I could maintain tricep mass without heavy benching, relying only on isolation exercises
Original post by Dreammachine1997
Done a bit of body weight stuff (push ups + pull ups), felt decent. Finished off with some tricep isolation.

I've started to question if bench is even worth it, and if I could achieve a decent chest with push ups alone (obvs won't build D cups, but an aesthetic looking chest is all I'm after). This would avoid the risk of future, potentially more severe bench injuries.

My only worry would be if I could maintain tricep mass without heavy benching, relying only on isolation exercises

I'd say bench is worth it.

You will have injuries, such is life.

Try incline bench then as lower weight needed (slightly).

Avoid bench for a bit, bring it in high rep, low weight but don't stop it long-term.

If you did like three tricep exercises then yeah, maybe.

Or you could bench and get Chest and front delts and Triceps worked all in one.
Then just one tricep isolation exercise...

Would be a mistake to cut it out just because you got a minor injury

Quick Reply

Latest