The Student Room Group

Have I damaged my chances of finding a job after sending this email?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sationti
Having recently graduated university, I am presently seeking employment and last week applied for a job with an agency. They got back to me a few hours later and asked me to attend an interview at their offices. When I got there though, all I was asked to do was show my passport as proof of my right to work in the UK, and fill in some basic form that basically said 'what skills do you have?'.

When the agency lady called me in to the office, I thought we would be discussing the role I had applied for, but she seemed clueless to say the least and not remotely interested in putting me forward for the role, and was just like 'oh we won't struggle to get you a job, we'll be in touch'. I made a point of saying that I had gone there about that particular role, but again she didn't seem much about it and just reiterated they'd be in touch.

I was angry because the agency was 22 miles away and must have cost at least 8 quid in petrol to do the round trip. To top it off, quelle surprise, a week later I've heard nothing.

Last night I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and sent them the following email to the lady who invited me to the interview:

'Dear Jackie, Thank you very much for wasting my time and petrol last week in inviting me to an 'interview' with your tinpot agency (you're hardly Adecco or Manpower are you, let's not delude ourselves). As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.

Your office had the atmosphere of a morgue and I can imagine you're hardly inundated with companies seeking your services (after the way you treat excellent candidates though, I can see why. If you were to phone me tomorrow and offer me that job, I would say 'not a chance, poopy-pants'.

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

On reflection, I know that I shouldn't have sent it as it was a bit off, but I was angry because I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered. Would this agency though be able to scupper my chances with any other jobs?

To be honest, it seems that way. Yes they could have been more prepared for the interview, but your response was uncalled for. If you respond in that manner to ANY job offer/company, then it gives you a bad reputation. You might think those things internally, but you shouldn't write it all down in an e-mail! If they have left it so long without contacting you, then chances are that they didn't want you. But that does not permit you to say stuff like that regardless of the outcome. If I had been to a job interview and hadn't heard anything by now, then I would have left it well alone. There is no point in dwelling on it and wondering what they did/you did wrong. You should have just left it at that. if anything, you've stirred it all up. Hopefully you can learn from this error, but no one will want to hire you if you present yourself in that manner: drunk or sober.

I'm not trying to upset you or anything, but I just thought that I would share my view! But good luck with everything! :smile:
Having recently graduated university, I am presently seeking employment and last week applied for a job with an agency. They got back to me a few hours later and asked me to attend an interview at their offices. When I got there though, all I was asked to do was show my passport as proof of my right to work in the UK, and fill in some basic form that basically said 'what skills do you have?'.

When the agency lady called me in to the office, I thought we would be discussing the role I had applied for, but she seemed clueless to say the least and not remotely interested in putting me forward for the role, and was just like 'oh we won't struggle to get you a job, we'll be in touch'. I made a point of saying that I had gone there about that particular role, but again she didn't seem much about it and just reiterated they'd be in touch.

I was angry because the agency was 22 miles away and must have cost at least 8 quid in petrol to do the round trip. To top it off, quelle surprise, a week later I've heard nothing.

Last night I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and sent them the following email to the lady who invited me to the interview:

'Dear Jackie, Thank you very much for wasting my time and petrol last week in inviting me to an 'interview' with your tinpot agency (you're hardly Adecco or Manpower are you, let's not delude ourselves). As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.

Your office had the atmosphere of a morgue and I can imagine you're hardly inundated with companies seeking your services (after the way you treat excellent candidates though, I can see why. If you were to phone me tomorrow and offer me that job, I would say 'not a chance, poopy-pants'.

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

On reflection, I know that I shouldn't have sent it as it was a bit off, but I was angry because I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered. Would this agency though be able to scupper my chances with any other jobs?

They certainly arent gloing to be contacting you any time soon.

You come across as immature, poor temprament/judgement ,an inability to hokd your drink and very arrogant. A disaster.

There are other agencies. Who knows she might be friends with some.
What a stupid thing to do.
People in glass houses should't throw stones.

Spoiler

Reply 23
Dear lord... why are people treating this seriously. It's obviously a joke!

If it was real it would make no odds to your applications for jobs in general, but obviously it would end your relationship with that particular agency.

However I do sense an element of truth in the premise of this story, with the agency essentially misleading you into think you had an interview just to get you in for paperwork to cover their backside. Frankly I'd tell them to go shove it if that happened to me.
Reply 24

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

Let me the first to say:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

This is the stuff of urban legend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by 999tigger
They certainly arent gloing to be contacting you any time soon.

You come across as immature, poor temprament/judgement ,an inability to hokd your drink and very arrogant. A disaster.

There are other agencies. Who knows she might be friends with some.
What a stupid thing to do.

These people literally suck the blood of the innocent for a living. Do you really think an agency is going to ignore a potential candidate on the back of an email he sent to a different agency? These people would employ a priest in a nursery if they could get £5 commission out of it.
Original post by M1011
These people literally suck the blood of the innocent for a living. Do you really think an agency is going to ignore a potential candidate on the back of an email he sent to a different agency? These people would employ a priest in a nursery if they could get £5 commission out of it.

Thats why I said there are other agents.
Reply 27
Original post by 999tigger
Thats why I said there are other agents.

Well that's not quite what you said now is it buddy? Talk about taking it out of context :tongue:

"There are other agencies. Who knows she might be friends with some.
What a stupid thing to do."
Original post by M1011
Well that's not quite what you said now is it buddy? Talk about taking it out of context :tongue:

"There are other agencies. Who knows she might be friends with some.
What a stupid thing to do."

So agents dont know other agents. They do. If it were real and not a troll then they do talk to each other. It would most likely be seen as funny, but outs him out there.
If it were real then he wouldnt need that to trip him up., becayse his temprament shows he will do that all by himself.
I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered.

How incredibly presumptuous. Sort your superiority complex out first. If you get a job you'll be working with real people in the real world ^^
Claims to
have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university
but lacks the initiative to not insult an employer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand your frustration, I don't even look at a job if it's through an agency, they make out they have an ideal role ready waiting and in reality they just want to get you interested and signed on their books.

However. Your email was immature, pompous and completely unprofessional. There were much, much better ways to voice your frustrations, you could have simply stated there and then that you were disappointed because you traveled so far under false pretenses for a job interview.
If I read that email I would laugh and post it all over the internet and would then send youna lovely sarcastic response. They'll probably just delete the email and never contact you again TBH cause they can't really respond to that LMAO . It was very entertaining though so well done :biggrin:
Original post by J-SP
Recruitment is a pretty small world. All it takes is anyone currently working at that agency to move to another one and your notoriety will follow you there as well.

People assume that you soon forget people's names in recruitment across 1000s of candidates you see each month/year.

Reality is anyone who does something this stupid/arrogant/rude will be remembered. I can still name people who did something similar from over a decade ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know he was completely wrong in his communication, but that aside, do you understand his frustration? To be lead to believe you were going for a job interview, to travel the distance, put all the interview preparation in, and then basically there is no job, and you've simply signed up to the agency.

Agencies do this all the time, and it's so misleading and I feel is preying on on desperate job seekers. Many of my friends who signed up to recruitment agencies never actually found work through them, but off their own backs.
Reply 34
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't assume this is a troll/joke by the way. You'd be surprised at the small minority of people who feel it's appropriate to communicate like this. I'd say I experienced it at least every 4-6 months over my career. This is in fact a mild version of some of the correspondence I've seen.

Well that's depressing. :colonhash:

If anyone thinks a 2:1 and a cocky attitude guarantees you a job, they've got an appropriately rude awakening coming.
I don't think so 😬
Original post by Twinpeaks
I know he was completely wrong in his communication, but that aside, do you understand his frustration? To be lead to believe you were going for a job interview, to travel the distance, put all the interview preparation in, and then basically there is no job, and you've simply signed up to the agency.

Agencies do this all the time, and it's so misleading and I feel is preying on on desperate job seekers. Many of my friends who signed up to recruitment agencies never actually found work through them, but off their own backs.

Thats the way agencies work. they arent job centres, they are paid by the client.
Whilst he might have wasted his time (assuming he is real) then his subsequent actions mark him out as someone with a very poor sense of judgement.

There are other more productive ways than the one he chose.
Reply 37
Original post by M1011
Dear lord... why are people treating this seriously. It's obviously a joke!

If it was real it would make no odds to your applications for jobs in general, but obviously it would end your relationship with that particular agency.

However I do sense an element of truth in the premise of this story, with the agency essentially misleading you into think you had an interview just to get you in for paperwork to cover their backside. Frankly I'd tell them to go shove it if that happened to me.

It just made me angry as they could see my address on my CV and so knew I would have a 22 mile journey to make. In all fairness, maybe it was me being naive as I know how agencies operate (especially the little backstreet ones desperate to fill their talent pool and say to employers 'ooo look how many CVs we hold'), but it was the premise that they got me there on the basis of going for a specific role rather than just being there to be added as another CV in their pool.
Reply 38
Beyond unprofessional. I think you should send an email out, and apologise. Say that you were frustrated or something.
That way it hopefully won't backfire later on, if you ever cross ways with the agency or the people you that received your email.
I have a better chance of getting a Girlfriend, than you getting the Job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending