The Student Room Group

Knife incident in Russell Square - One dead, five injured

Scroll to see replies

No evidence of a terror attacks So far
Original post by QE2

2. There are thousands, if not millions of people with mental health problems, yet the vast majority of them do not carry out such attacks, therefore, you cannot blame mental illness. (Notice that this is exactly the same argument regularly used to claim that Islam is not involved - although I think it would be a step too far to accuse people who claim mental illness is to blame of racism).

walob, mental illness manifests itself in different people in variable ways shocker.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
Ah, the non-conclusionists are out in force I see. It's like something from a Monty Python sketch, completely surreal. Come out and defend Muslims while they ALL preach your death and destruction, women and children are being raped and murdered on a scale unseen outside of a conflict zone and we have a bunch of pseudo intellectuals looking for the'true meaning' behind it.

If it were fundamentalists of Christianity waging a global crusade against all non-believers I can't help but think the reactions of these people would somehow be different when terror attacks happen.

There is no evidence of links to any religious motive so far. I don't see why you're implying it.
Reply 63
I think it's reasonable to speculate that it's probable to be a religiously-motivated terror attack. You don't need more evidence than a knowledge that we don't often get news stories of this type that don't turn out to be religiously-motivated.

Having said that, other types of attacks do exist as well, for example of the sort committed by Anders Breivik.
Reply 64
Original post by dingleberry jam
walob, mental illness manifests itself in different people in variable ways shocker.
Are you claiming that an ideology cannot "manifest itself in different people in variable ways"?

Because you'd be wrong. They do. All the time.
Original post by QE2
Regarding the mental heath issue, there are a couple of points worth considering.

1. By definition, anyone who stabs several people, mows them down with a truck, blows themselves up, etc, etc, is suffering from some sort of mental health issues. You couldn't do it if you weren't.

2. There are thousands, if not millions of people with mental health problems, yet the vast majority of them do not carry out such attacks, therefore, you cannot blame mental illness. (Notice that this is exactly the same argument regularly used to claim that Islam is not involved - although I think it would be a step too far to accuse people who claim mental illness is to blame of racism).

Regarding point 1, I would disagree, I think completely sane people could commit such an attack if you view those stabbed as your enemy.
Reply 66
Original post by miser
I think it's reasonable to speculate that it's probable to be a religiously-motivated terror attack. You don't need more evidence than a knowledge that we don't often get news stories of this type that don't turn out to be religiously-motivated.

Having said that, other types of attacks do exist as well, for example of the sort committed by Anders Breivik.
If you replace "religiously motivated" with "ideologically motivated", then your statement is probably accurate.
Reply 67
Original post by The_Opinion
Regarding point 1, I would disagree, I think completely sane people could commit such an attack if you view those stabbed as your enemy.
But to regard (for example, speculation as yet) a 60 year old woman on the streets of London as your "enemy", you are clearly suffering from mental health issues! I don't think it can be used as the reason, merely a contributary factor. But as it is present in all cases to a greater or lesser extent, there must be other factors involved.
Reply 68
Original post by QE2
If you replace "religiously motivated" with "ideologically motivated", then your statement is probably accurate.

I agree that it's more probable that it's an ideologically-motivated attack as opposed to a religiously-motivated attack, by virtue that religious motivations are a subset of ideological ones. I disagree that it affects the truth-value of my statement though. I claim it's reasonable to speculate about religious motivation, which I believe is true irrespective of the actual motivation as it turns out to be.
Original post by QE2
Are you claiming that an ideology cannot "manifest itself in different people in variable ways"?

No.
Reply 70
Original post by miser
I agree that it's more probable that it's an ideologically-motivated attack as opposed to a religiously-motivated attack, by virtue that religious motivations are a subset of ideological ones. I disagree that it affects the truth-value of my statement though. I claim it's reasonable to speculate about religious motivation, which I believe is true irrespective of the actual motivation as it turns out to be.
No, I agree. As all religious attacks are ideologically motivated, if you broaden the definition to ideologically, then includes those occasional outliers like Brevik and Roof, and avoids the usual claims of "but look at Brevik, that wasn't religiously motivated, so you are wrong" (they usually throw "racist" in here are well).
Reply 71
Original post by dingleberry jam
No.
So you agree that your point was fallacious.
Original post by QE2
So you agree that your point was fallacious.

Not yet, unless you have something to add?
Awful news and RIP to the woman who was so brutally murdered.
Original post by QE2

It's also the exact argument used by the far right, Republican Party and gun lobby in America every time there's a mass shooting but it's funny that you didn't mention that.
Original post by Casserole
was only a matter of time before it happened in Britain (again)

Knife crime is reasonably common, so that's a given.
Police as usual, limit info on background of the killer. Just stiicking to the current preference of 'catch all clause ' for potential terrorism to be as vague as possible.

Breaking news is killer is confirmed a Somali of Norweigan nationality. we can assume a specific ideological background or can we not?
Reply 77
Original post by Reformed

Breaking news is killer is confirmed a Somali of Norweigan nationality. we can assume a specific ideological background or can we not?

Here we go again.
Loads of police out on the streets all over town today. Clearly they are worried in case this is not an isolated occurrence.
Queue the geniuses with the incredibly original phrase "religion of peace strikes again"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending