The Student Room Group

BoE cuts interest rate to 0.25%, £60bn of extra QE

Expectations so far are that rates will be cut to 0.25% and some QE will be resumed. Pound has fallen against the dollar in expectation of a rate cut.

Announcement will be made at 12:00
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Likelihood of negative interest rates?
Original post by BasicMistake

Negligible.
Reply 3
Original post by BasicMistake

Highly doubt it. It's very much expected to drop to 0.25%. Pound has fallen but is picking up again against the dollar.

There may also be a quantitative easing announcement.
Reply 4
Economists' expectations for interest rate announcement (source: Bloomberg):
90.4% think it will be 0.25
3.8% think it will stay at 0.5
3.8% think it will be 0.10
2% think it will be cut to 0
Reply 5
The market has already priced in the high chance of a rate cut, as seen by the pound falling against the dollar. If the rate cut is as expected (0.25%) then perhaps there is a chance of the pound rallying up.

UPDATE: Pound is rallying up already, before the rates announcement.
(edited 7 years ago)
0.25%

Not sure what it will achieve but I don't see any other reasonable option
Confirmed by the Guardian - rate cut to 0.25%.
If rates go negative, would mortgage lenders be forced in some cases to pay people to take their mortgages? :teehee:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If rates go negative, would mortgage lenders be forced in some cases to pay people to take their mortgages? :teehee:

They haven't gone negative and even if they did the effects won't transfer to consumers. The banks aren't that stupid.
Reply 10

They have not gone negative. Rates have been cut to 0.25%
Original post by Trapz99
They have not gone negative. Rates have been cut to 0.25%

I know. I was just thinking ahead. And wishfully. :teehee:
Reply 12
£60bn of extra QE. This was not expected by most economists and by most traders.
Reply 13
I know. I was just thinking ahead. And wishfully. :teehee:

Well it wouldn't be a good thing anyway. Banks would probably not give out as many mortgages and people will find it difficult to secure a mortgage. And this only applies to tracker mortgages- most normal mortgages have an interest rate set by the bank itself, not by the BoE.
Original post by Trapz99
Well it wouldn't be a good thing anyway. Banks would probably not give out as many mortgages and people will find it difficult to secure a mortgage. And this only applies to tracker mortgages- most normal mortgages have an interest rate set by the bank itself, not by the BoE.

Sure, they are all based on "Base Rate + such-and-such a percentage" - I was amusing myself thinking of a situation where the base rate hits -2% and we get products 'charging' a rate of -0.5% on the mortgage. Of course, in the real world, they will find a way round it. :sad:

Note that the B of E has not ruled out further cuts in rates this morning.
Reply 15
Sure, they are all based on "Base Rate + such-and-such a percentage" - I was amusing myself thinking of a situation where the base rate hits -2% and we get products 'charging' a rate of -0.5% on the mortgage. Of course, in the real world, they will find a way round it. :sad:

Note that the B of E has not ruled out further cuts in rates this morning.

Yeah that's true. They have said that a further rate cut this year (most probably to 0%) is likely.
Excellent news for hard up ordinary citizens with mortgages and borrowing costs, bad for remainers hoarding their wealth hehe
Reply 17
Original post by neal95
Excellent news for hard up ordinary citizens with mortgages and borrowing costs, bad for remainers hoarding their wealth hehe

Well it's not that great. Ordinary people have savings accounts too...
But there will probably be a slight net benefit to ordinary people, yes
Reply 18
The Bank of England is the 55th central bank to ease interest rates this year.
Original post by neal95

Original post by Trapz99
Well it's not that great. Ordinary people have savings accounts too...
But there will probably be a slight net benefit to ordinary people, yes

I think you overestimate how much money the wealthy let sit in a bank account as opposed to investing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending