The Student Room Group

1 personal statement, many courses

Hi, so the subjects I'm currently taking are maths, physics (which I'll drop), economics and history and I'm interested in applying for combined economics.
I started drafting last term with my tutor but that was merging economics, history and politics but I've now changed focus onto international relations rather than history as St. Andrews (where I wanted to do econ and history) don't have modules I particularly like and durham I could maybe pick up history during the year.

As of now, my choices are:Oxford - PPE ; St. Andrews - Economics and International Relations ; KCL -Political Economy ; Durham - Combined Hons. in Social Sciences, Economics and Politics ; Exeter - Economics and Poltics and NCH - Economics with Politics and International Relations

Because I haven't studied politics or inter rels before (although I know much more about politics than IR), I wasn't sure if I could combine talking about the two rather than splitting it up so it would all be applicable to each uni. Also, if philosophy is not my main focus at all and if I went I would probably drop it after 1st year, how much should I include it in my PS?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sarahorr1_
Hi, so the subjects I'm currently taking are maths, physics (which I'll drop), economics and history and I'm interested in applying for combined economics.
I started drafting last term with my tutor but that was merging economics, history and politics but I've now changed focus onto international relations rather than history as St. Andrews (where I wanted to do econ and history) don't have modules I particularly like and durham I could maybe pick up history during the year.

As of now, my choices are:Oxford - PPE ; St. Andrews - Economics and International Relations ; KCL - Economics and Political Science ; Durham - Combined Hons. in Social Sciences, Economics and Politics ; Exeter - Economics and Poltics and NCH - Economics with Politics and International Relations

Because I haven't studied politics or inter rels before (although I know much more about politics than IR), I wasn't sure if I could combine talking about the two rather than splitting it up so it would all be applicable to each uni. Also, if philosophy is not my main focus at all and if I went I would probably drop it after 1st year, how much should I include it in my PS?

Thank you!

Hi sarahorr1,

This is great idea to start drafting your PS now.
You can combine politics and IR, but only if you feel it makes sense for you and you would be able to discuss and be at ease with that later on at interviews for example.
Don't include anything you are not confident in or isn't your main focus. This would be an open door to awkward questions and it would not reflect exactly what you want to do during your studies.
To sum up always talk about things you are passionate about and that you really want to study at Uni.

You might want to check this vlog which gives plenty of advice on what to include and not include in your PS.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. :h:

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)

As of now, my choices are:Oxford - PPE ; St. Andrews - Economics and International Relations ; KCL - Economics and Political Science ; Durham - Combined Hons. in Social Sciences, Economics and Politics ; Exeter - Economics and Poltics and NCH - Economics with Politics and International Relations

Thank you!

I'd suggest going for a split of 35% Econ, 45% Politics and IR and 20% Philosophy

(Don't ignore philosophy completely - although you can drop philosophy after a year Oxford are clear they expect to see applicants show an interest in all three subjects for PPE http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/admissions-criteria )

Edit: KCL don't seem to offer a degree in Economics & Political Science http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/Search-results.aspx?CourseKeywords=politics&CourseLevel=UG

(also you should probably be aware that your NCH degree will result in a degree certificate from Southampton Solent)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
I'd suggest going for a split of 35% Econ, 45% Politics and IR and 20% Philosophy

(Don't ignore philosophy completely - although you can drop philosophy after a year Oxford are clear they expect to see applicants show an interest in all three subjects for PPE http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/admissions-criteria )

Edit: KCL don't seem to offer a degree in Economics & Political Science http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/Search-results.aspx?CourseKeywords=politics&CourseLevel=UG

(also you should probably be aware that your NCH degree will result in a degree certificate from Southampton Solent)

Oh sorry I messed that up, it was political economy at KCL! And thank you for the rest of the advice. I was a bit concerned about the Southampton Solent thing regarding employment and prestige of the degree but I decided I don't mind too much as I'm almost 100% likely to apply for a masters, where I can go somewhere more highly regarded. I just thought the uni really suited me.
Reply 4
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi sarahorr1,

This is great idea to start drafting your PS now.
You can combine politics and IR, but only if you feel it makes sense for you and you would be able to discuss and be at ease with that later on at interviews for example.
Don't include anything you are not confident in or isn't your main focus. This would be an open door to awkward questions and it would not reflect exactly what you want to do during your studies.
To sum up always talk about things you are passionate about and that you really want to study at Uni.

You might want to check this vlog which gives plenty of advice on what to include and not include in your PS.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. :h:

UniAdmissions

Thank you! My tutors actually made me start drafting straight after ASs but now I've changed courses I have to start all over again.

It's not so much that I'm not confident with philosophy- I did it at GCSE, continued to read up on it last year and my old roommate's dad has a philosophy degree from Harvard, if all else fails! It just wouldn't be of any use to anyone other than Oxford, and I wasn't sure if the other unis would question it/dislike it, etc.
Oh sorry I messed that up, it was political economy at KCL! And thank you for the rest of the advice. I was a bit concerned about the Southampton Solent thing regarding employment and prestige of the degree but I decided I don't mind too much as I'm almost 100% likely to apply for a masters, where I can go somewhere more highly regarded. I just thought the uni really suited me.

That's good :smile:

The idea of NCH style university (very small, with lots of small group teaching) makes me cringe personally - but if it's the sort of environment you're looking for and think you'll do well in (and looking at your choices that seems to be a bit of a theme) then go for it :yep:
I think you need to focus your fire a bit more.

Writing about Philosophy, Politics, Economics, International Relations and Social Sciences in under 1000 words is going to come off as scrappy, you're not going to be able to develop your thoughts in your PS at all. It will all be rather shallow.

Don't worry about writing your personal statement yet. You need to work out what subject you want to do first. Then you can make a cracking PS once you know what you want.

SS
I'm not sure why the official applications people are advising you to write about 5 subjects in your personal statement. At least 40% of it is going to be off topic to each Admissions Tutor reading it.
Reply 8
Original post by Supersaps

Writing about Philosophy, Politics, Economics, International Relations and Social Sciences in under 1000 words is going to come off as scrappy, you're not going to be able to develop your thoughts in your PS at all. It will all be rather shallow.

Don't worry about writing your personal statement yet. You need to work out what subject you want to do first. Then you can make a cracking PS once you know what you want.

SS

I don't have to talk about social sciences in general for durham, only econ and politics. I know what you mean though and that's why combined courses are hard. Basically I want to do economics and politics but IR is included with politics for NCH, I'd really like to apply to St. Andrews and they don't offer straight politics and PPE is the closest choice at Oxbridge which my school want me to apply to. The trouble is, those 3 are my top 3 so I really don't want to change
Original post by Supersaps

SS

Social Sciences: Politics & Econ wont require talking about social sciences outside politics and econ.

And Politics and IR are generally covered as two areas of the same subject (like micro and macro economics) - so it's perfectly possible to cover general politics (which will encompass IR in most cases) as well as giving some emphasis to interest in IR topics without losing coherency.
I don't have to talk about social sciences in general for durham, only econ and politics. I know what you mean though and that's why combined courses are hard. Basically I want to do economics and politics but IR is included with politics for NCH, I'd really like to apply to St. Andrews and they don't offer straight politics and PPE is the closest choice at Oxbridge which my school want me to apply to. The trouble is, those 3 are my top 3 so I really don't want to change

I'd suggest applying directly to NCH - that way you can tailor your PS for that course specifically (and you get an extra UCAS choice)
Thank you! My tutors actually made me start drafting straight after ASs but now I've changed courses I have to start all over again.

It's not so much that I'm not confident with philosophy- I did it at GCSE, continued to read up on it last year and my old roommate's dad has a philosophy degree from Harvard, if all else fails! It just wouldn't be of any use to anyone other than Oxford, and I wasn't sure if the other unis would question it/dislike it, etc.

Oh I see! I don't think other Unis would dislike or question it as long as you find a relevant link to you further studies.
I would say that any other subject is always an asset to you, as you show you have a wide knowledge and interest in other subjects which might potentially enrich your main subject area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending