The Student Room Group

Knife incident in Russell Square - One dead, five injured

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Loads of police out on the streets all over town today. Clearly they are worried in case this is not an isolated occurrence.

Nah, got to be seen to be doing something. New Home Sec and new Mayor - the Met are going to be under so much pressure their nuts will be turning into diamonds.
It's now being reported he is of Somali origin. I can't say I'm surprised, I pretty much expected it would be a member of the "religion of peace".

It's improper for the police to rule out terrorism so quickly, given they've not yet had time to search his computer, phone and find out if someone was manipulating him to do this. And the location is particularly significant; Russell Square is where the 7/7 bus suicide bomb occurred.
Original post by TheMouseyS
Queue the geniuses with the incredibly original phrase "religion of peace strikes again"

That there are so many Muslim attacks on us the phrase has become redundant really says all you need to know.

Perhaps, and social etiquette isn't my forte, coming onto one of the many threads about Muslims killing little old ladies or pregnant women on the streets of Europe to point out certain turn of phrases that have become overused is in bad taste ?
Original post by QE2
Regarding the mental heath issue, there are a couple of points worth considering.

1. By definition, anyone who stabs several people, mows them down with a truck, blows themselves up, etc, etc, is suffering from some sort of mental health issues. You couldn't do it if you weren't.

2. There are thousands, if not millions of people with mental health problems, yet the vast majority of them do not carry out such attacks, therefore, you cannot blame mental illness. (Notice that this is exactly the same argument regularly used to claim that Islam is not involved - although I think it would be a step too far to accuse people who claim mental illness is to blame of racism).

Do you think there is also a cultural issue in regards to how mental health issues are dealt with? Certain cultures are possibly less open to speaking about mental health issues, and this can result in mental health issues going untreated.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
That there are so many Muslim attacks on us the phrase has become redundant really says all you need to know.

Perhaps, and social etiquette isn't my forte, coming onto one of the many threads about Muslims killing little old ladies or pregnant women on the streets of Europe to point out certain turn of phrases that have become overused is in bad taste ?

Yeah k I was only saying that it was unoriginal and doesn't contribute anything new or substantive to the conversation x
In other news, BoE cuts rates to 0.25%. £60bn of extra QE was announced along with £10bn in high quality corporate bond purchases and up to £100bn on a Long Term Funding scheme.

That is some big news which will dominate the news today hopefully.
Original post by Trapz99
In other news, BoE cuts rates to 0.25%. £60bn of extra QE was announced along with £10bn in high quality corporate bond purchases and up to £100bn on a Long Term Funding scheme.

That is some big news which will dominate the news today hopefully.

What does this all mean for the average joe on the streets?
Original post by Al-farhan
What does this all mean for the average joe on the streets?

It's a stimulus package designed to reduce the potential effects of Brexit. Also, it will lead to lower interest on mortgages and lower interest on savings accounts for the 'average joe'

The extra quantitative easing is supposed to stimulate economic growth. £10bn of corporate bond purchases will allow more funding for companies to grow during this time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by abcde3237
I wonder who the perpetrators were... hmm can't think of who it might be...

Allah snackbar ofc
not surprised it was a mali, dem man are savages, I doubt this was related to his religion, stabbings occur often in London,
Original post by Trapz99
It's a stimulus package designed to reduce the potential effects of Brexit. Also, it will lead to lower interest on mortgages and lower interest on savings accounts for the 'average joe'

The extra quantitative easing is supposed to stimulate economic growth. £10bn of corporate bond purchases will allow more funding for companies to grow during this time.

Makes the EU membership costs(even if £350m a day was true) seem like pocket change. :biggrin:
Reply 91
Original post by dingleberry jam
Not yet, unless you have something to add?
You agreed that ideologies manifest themselves in different people in variable ways, as do mental health issues. Therefore your ealier claim that mental health issues and ideological issues could not be compared was false.
Original post by JamesN88
Makes the EU membership costs(even if £350m a day was true) seem like pocket change. :biggrin:

The money needed is created by the bank so it's not a cost. EU membership is.
Original post by QE2
Therefore your ealier claim that mental health issues and ideological issues could not be compared was false.

Don't think i've made that claim.
Reply 94
Original post by jamesthehustler
it means we can publically execute them say down a quart of bleach or something
if only i was running this damn country

I usually think along those lines
Reply 95
Original post by Bornblue
It's also the exact argument used by the far right, Republican Party and gun lobby in America every time there's a mass shooting but it's funny that you didn't mention that.
Er, no. It is the opposite argument to that used by the US gun lobby to explain mass shootings!

They always blame mental illness (unless it is found to be tourism).
If you read it again, you will see I was explaining that as the vast majority of people with mental illness do not commit such attacks, then mental illness cannot be blamed - in the same way people claim that you cannot blame an ideology for the actions of people under its influence.

Or to put it simply, if the argument "Most Muslims are peaceful so you cannot blame Islam if some are violent" is true, then the argument "Most mentally ill people are peaceful so you can't blame mental illness if some are violent" must also be true.
Mentally ill background... just stop with this PC nonsense. In ALL these terror attacks, the background of the killer has always been Asian, from a Muslim country.

Doesn't matter how the press dress it up, mentally disturbed, political or religiously motivated, knife or guns - the background of the murderer is always the same.
Reply 97
Original post by The Epicurean
Do you think there is also a cultural issue in regards to how mental health issues are dealt with? Certain cultures are possibly less open to speaking about mental health issues, and this can result in mental health issues going untreated.
Almost certainly. Also, I can imagine it is more difficult to identify such issues in cultures where dogmatic ritual and obsessive behaviour are valued and admired.
Original post by Casserole
Mentally ill background... just stop with this PC nonsense. In ALL these terror attacks, the background of the killer has always been Asian, from a Muslim country.

Doesn't matter how the press dress it up, mentally disturbed, political or religiously motivated, knife or guns - the background of the murderer is always the same.

I swear they just said the guy was Somalian. Last time I checked Somalia isn't in Asia...
Original post by Casserole

Somalia is not in Asia but Africa. It is an islamic country, so to speak.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending