The Student Room Group

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

Your A-levels are done, you're now officially a little bit older and a little bit wiser :moon:

So what's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

Other golden threads:

1. List the fibs your teacher told you at school

2. What's your ultimate summer tune?

3. Which GCSE subject can you not wish to ditch?

4. Sum up how you’re feeling about results day in a meme or gif

5. How do you plan to celebrate your exam results?

6. Starting uni: what are you most excited about?

7. One essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

8. What's the one thing will get you through results day?

The competition runs from 3 August to 23:59 on 26 August 2016. The random draw will be made on 30 August 2016.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do NOT take 4 A2s and an EPQ in year 13. No matter how confident you feel after AS, just don't.
Original post by She-Ra
Your A-levels are done, you're now officially a little bit older and a little bit wiser :moon:

So what's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

Consistently work hard throughout the year, i.e. make sure notes are completed and your happy with everything you learn. I say this because the content can be very difficult at Alevel and because you sit your exams at the end of A2 its important your notes will be complete and easy to recap and revise from.
Do subjects you actually enjoy otherwise studying for them becomes a nightmare, don't forget to actually have a life outside of A levels- There should be a balance between working and blowing off steam.
Reply 4
Try to love and be interested in the subject you're studying.
Time goes by so fast- so be sure to revise consistently.
Practice exam questions.
Take your mocks seriously! It'll pay off, as it means you'll have less to review as the year goes on.
Make sure you do other things outside of school- if you're good at managing your time.
Do as many past paper questions as possible: from the new spec, old spec, textbook, other exam boards, international papers etc. You're being tested in your ability to perform in an exam, not just your competence (excluding practical subjects).
I think the two main important things I would personally say is do not pick A-level subjects because you were good at them during your GCSEs. It will make no difference if you got an A* at Maths GCSE, but only pick A-level Maths 'cause you were simply "good at it". You need to enjoy the subject, to be able to appreciate and understand it. You will be more willing to learn about the subject if you genuinely enjoy it.

Also, don't pick A-level subjects because you've been told by your parents it's a good A-level or because they want you to do a certain degree. Don't pick it because your teachers say "you'll be good at it" and do not pick a subject just because your friend will be doing it. These are all the wrong reasons for picking your A-level subjects.

You need to really consider your future and whether the subjects you wish to study at A-level are needed for Higher Education or future employment. If you want to choose Pharmacology; then make sure you pick at least two sciences, etc. It's fun to pick subjects at the time when you enjoy them, but at the same time, you should start thinking about what career you'd want to go into and so forth.
Stop. Quit. Now.
Reply 8
For certain subjects, do outside reading as it will benefit you greatly. E.g. in Philosophy I used arguments/critiques in my essays, which I'd read outside of class and my teachers commented on how beneficial that was ye - it honestly helped me get higher marks on those essays in a few cases simply because I otherwise would have had very little to write about :tongue:
make sure to understand the topics and not just memorise them
work hard
dont be afraid to ask the teacher for help explaining any topics you dont understand
work super hard but enjoy you subjects find the interedting stuff in every topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
For science/ maths - past papers, and tonnes of them. The answers come back again and again.
For humanities - read extra, understand and enjoy it. Passion does pay off.
For languages, set up a deck with an SRS program like Anki (free), and try to learn 10 new words a day, and practice using one piece of grammar a day. It's only about 20 minutes of work but it's much less possible to cram for languages at A Level, so getting yourself into the habit of constantly using the language will really help you.

Also, do homework and do it well. There's less pressure at sixth form to follow all the rules, and teachers are generally less angry with you for not doing homework, but oftentimes homework will be something like making notes or doing a little bit of extra research, or doing past exam questions. All of these things are incredibly helpful at A Level, and a sustained work schedule throughout the year can really boost your summer grade.

So I guess if you want the tl;dr version: revise little, but revise often.
Don't listen the teachers that say you're stupid.
Reply 13
* Make sure you like the subjects you take
* Don't leave anything for last minute! (TRUST ME)
* Give yourself some time off studies (Not too much)
* Plan out your study days and set your own deadlines on everything.
* Do your own independent learning outside of school
Get ready to have a mental breakdown everyday
Reply 15
If you want to be good at something you have to put in the time, if you want to be great at something you have to put in a lot of time. It's as simple as that, when it gets to Feburary/March before exams, if you want A*A*A*+ you better be prepared to consistently pull 80-100 hour weeks. If you fancy 3A's+ then probably like 60 hour weeks. All in all: When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
Stay organised, and don't take time off when you don't need it. Catch-up work is a pain. Study at home where you can, and try not to fall behind.
Start making revision notes around 4-3 months in advance, it'll save you a world of hassle.
They're not that hard at all, but there is a fair bit of volume. So get an early revision plan so that you're cementing your knowledge of the material throughout the year rather than leaving it.
Reply 19
Original post by JoeyTr
If you want to be good at something you have to put in the time, if you want to be great at something you have to put in a lot of time. It's as simple as that, when it gets to Feburary/March before exams, if you want A*A*A*+ you better be prepared to consistently pull 80-100 hour weeks. If you fancy 3A's+ then probably like 60 hour weeks. All in all: When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What the **** are you on about?

Quick Reply

Latest