The Student Room Group

GP laughed at me

After a long long time of living miserably I finally decided to go and speak to my gp. SO i told him how I've been feeling scared and hopeless and everything else that's wrong. I also told him that I am hearing stuff (sometimes I hear a group of people shouting at me and it seems very real when it's happening but when I think later on about this I realise I hear just stuff). But he didn't do anything to make me feel better instead he laughed at me. I am very upset

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
After a long long time of living miserably I finally decided to go and speak to my gp. SO i told him how I've been feeling scared and hopeless and everything else that's wrong. I also told him that I am hearing stuff (sometimes I hear a group of people shouting at me and it seems very real when it's happening but when I think later on about this I realise I hear just stuff). But he didn't do anything to make me feel better instead he laughed at me. I am very upset

GPs are sadly not miracle workers, and often mental health problems such as the ones your describing are difficult for them to interpret because there are no physical signs and symptoms. Possibly if you didnt describe it very well he may have been confused as to how your truly feeling.

That being said he had no right to laugh at you at all!

If your unhappy with the way your GP treated the situation then maybe try going to see another doctor. Also be aware that with mental health problems the GP is unlikely to make you feel any better there an then, things like this take time and treatment to work through.

Hope you get this sorted.
Reply 2
Original post by Natalierm2707
GPs are sadly not miracle workers, and often mental health problems such as the ones your describing are difficult for them to interpret because there are no physical signs and symptoms. Possibly if you didnt describe it very well he may have been confused as to how your truly feeling.

That being said he had no right to laugh at you at all!

If your unhappy with the way your GP treated the situation then maybe try going to see another doctor. Also be aware that with mental health problems the GP is unlikely to make you feel any better there an then, things like this take time and treatment to work through.

Hope you get this sorted.

Right okay I get what you mean but he didn't give me a treatment. He did nothing
Reply 3
Right okay I get what you mean but he didn't give me a treatment. He did nothing

Please explain in more detail. Did he ask you to leave and say he couldn't help you? Or did he give you options that you were unhappy with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

If things are as you describe them he is extremely unprofessional
Reply 5
Original post by Rachel147
Please explain in more detail. Did he ask you to leave and say he couldn't help you? Or did he give you options that you were unhappy with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He just said it will get better. I don't think it will since I've been like this for atleast 2-3 years

He just said it will get better. I don't think it will since I've been like this for atleast 2-3 years

Well you should have turned around and stated when he said "it will get better" that you feel you need some extra help with it because you have been feeling like this for a long while now and no matter how much you have tried it just isnt getting better.

Treatment can be asked for you know, just speak up.
Reply 7
Original post by IYGB
If things are as you describe them he is extremely unprofessional

I don't know if i can complaint. I don't talk to people but when I do it knocks off my confidence even more(like today). So am just gonna think about it and make my life even more miserable.
Reply 8
That's appalling behaviour from a doctor but sadly, it's all too common when it comes to mental health matters. He should have referred you to the appropriate mental health departments such as a psychiatrist or psychologist at the very least.

I would suggest going to see another GP, either one in the same practice or switch to another. It's very much hit or miss though to find an empathetic doctor when it comes to mental health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well you should have turned around and stated when he said "it will get better" that you feel you need some extra help with it because you have been feeling like this for a long while now and no matter how much you have tried it just isnt getting better.

Treatment can be asked for you know, just speak up.

I got really upset and I didn't know what to do so I just accepted the fact that I won't get any help and came back home.
I got really upset and I didn't know what to do so I just accepted the fact that I won't get any help and came back home.

I understand, but that is not really going to help you at all. You need to suck it up for 30 seconds and just ask, I know its hard trust me, but the first step to recovery is speaking up and asking the question.

May I ask what kind of help you were expecting from your GP? any treatment ideas in mind. Often good GPs will ask you in these situations what treatment you had in mind or what you were hoping to get out of the consultation to avoid you going home unhelped?
Original post by Spock's Socks
That's appalling behaviour from a doctor but sadly, it's all too common when it comes to mental health matters. He should have referred you to the appropriate mental health departments such as a psychiatrist or psychologist at the very least.

I would suggest going to see another GP, either one in the same practice or switch to another. It's very much hit or miss though to find an empathetic doctor when it comes to mental health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you. It took me six months to gather up the courage to ask for help and it didn't turn out to be very good. So it's gonna be while before I ask for help again.
I understand, but that is not really going to help you at all. You need to suck it up for 30 seconds and just ask, I know its hard trust me, but the first step to recovery is speaking up and asking the question.

May I ask what kind of help you were expecting from your GP? any treatment ideas in mind. Often good GPs will ask you in these situations what treatment you had in mind or what you were hoping to get out of the consultation to avoid you going home unhelped?

I don't know anything about the treatment but I was pretty much willing to try anything.
I don't know anything about the treatment but I was pretty much willing to try anything.

Thats fine, most people dont really know much about the treatment options.

I would book another appointment with a different doctor asap (the quicker you do it the quicker the recovery, I know it is hard right now but its just going to get harder and more miserable the longer you leave it) and when you go in say you have been dealing with this for a number of years and it is not getting better. Make sure you say to the doctor that you would like some formal treatment for this issue as you dont feel self help is working for you.

If it makes you feel better or more confident try going with a family member or friend, often if you are unsure of what to say or lacking confidence they can pitch in to help you.

some GPs have a blummin awful lack of understanding when it comes to mental health and it makes it even more crap when they can't deal with such matters with the sensitivity they deserve.

Get a second opinion from a different doctor or source counselling from a charity or college or uni.

It's not right that people who are mentally ill have to fight to be seen and heard but it's got to that and I promise you're not alone.

Wishing you well.*
Thats fine, most people dont really know much about the treatment options.

I would book another appointment with a different doctor asap (the quicker you do it the quicker the recovery, I know it is hard right now but its just going to get harder and more miserable the longer you leave it) and when you go in say you have been dealing with this for a number of years and it is not getting better. Make sure you say to the doctor that you would like some formal treatment for this issue as you dont feel self help is working for you.

If it makes you feel better or more confident try going with a family member or friend, often if you are unsure of what to say or lacking confidence they can pitch in to help you.

Right okay thank you. I'll try and book an appointment. Well my family think I am crazy so I won't be asking them. But I'll try and see a doctor. Thanks
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
some GPs have a blummin awful lack of understanding when it comes to mental health and it makes it even more crap when they can't deal with such matters with the sensitivity they deserve.

Get a second opinion from a different doctor or source counselling from a charity or college or uni.

It's not right that people who are mentally ill have to fight to be seen and heard but it's got to that and I promise you're not alone.

Wishing you well.*

right okay. Thank you
Right okay thank you. I'll try and book an appointment. Well my family think I am crazy so I won't be asking them. But I'll try and see a doctor. Thanks

Hope it all goes well. x
Every GP practice has a practice manager. Contact the practice manager who is the first point of contact if you have an issue with one of the doctors.
Ask to see another doctor in the practice and tell him/her that you wish to be referred for treatment for your problems.
Original post by Seamus123
Every GP practice has a practice manager. Contact the practice manager who is the first point of contact if you have an issue with one of the doctors.
Ask to see another doctor in the practice and tell him/her that you wish to be referred for treatment for your problems.

okay . Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest