The Student Room Group

If Land Economy graduates do go to Investment Banking, what about master studets?

I have known some and heard of people who have studied Land Economy at University of Cambridge for the full three undergraduate years and went to finance or consulting graduate schemes.

My question is: to what extent can a postgraduate course (masters) be judged on the basis of undergraduate statistics at the same university?

Here are the statistics available for BA Land Economy: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007788FT-UG_LETX_KIS Is this at all relevant to masters?

Is doing an MPhil in Land Economy similarly beneficial if you are from another academic background? In terms of masters, I think doing pure MPhil Economics is better than MPhil Land Economy, but Land Economy is better than other humanities or social sciences like History or Management. I would say it ranks somewhere in the middle between all of the Cambridge courses for financial services/consulting.

Scroll to see replies

Personally I don't think any postgrad Oxbridge degrees are as prestigious as their undergrad counterparts
Original post by Helg
I have known some and heard of people who have studied Land Economy at University of Cambridge for the full three undergraduate years and went to finance or consulting graduate schemes.

My question is: to what extent can a postgraduate course (masters) be judged on the basis of undergraduate statistics at the same university?

Here are the statistics available for BA Land Economy: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007788FT-UG_LETX_KIS Is this at all relevant to masters?

Is doing an MPhil in Land Economy similarly beneficial if you are from another academic background? In terms of masters, I think doing pure MPhil Economics is better than MPhil Land Economy, but Land Economy is better than other humanities or social sciences like History or Management. I would say it ranks somewhere in the middle between all of the Cambridge courses for financial services/consulting.

As repeatedly said:

It doesn't matter what course you're doing.

Beef up your CV, network with some professionals, prep for interviews and apply. Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helg

Apart from potentially answering a few questions on your interest in finance from doing a partially unrelated masters, any of those degrees would be fine. What I'd urge you to consider is which degree you genuinely find most interesting. The Mphil in Land Economy is equivalent to an MRes so is 2 years and includes a year of research, if you'd like to do a related 1 year degree which is more relevant you may want to consider the MPhil in Real Estate Finance offered by the same department. For both Finance and Consulting, most degrees are suitable for entry so it would be counterproductive to try and rank them!

In terms of the Bachelors vs Masters degrees it does depend entirely on the course but generally masters degrees from the same department will generally have better employment statistics (doesn't always hold true) due to masters students generally having more work experience and a better idea of what they actually want to do with their lives. For a research masters like the MPhil in Land Economy the employment statistics will be skewed by the fact that many of the students will aim to study for an extra 2-3 years for a PhD rather than going straight into employment.

As a side note what's your bachelor's in?
Reply 4
Original post by anonwinner
Personally I don't think any postgrad Oxbridge degrees are as prestigious as their undergrad counterparts

Yes, this may indeed be true. So which one would you take out of these two?

Original post by Princepieman
As repeatedly said:

It doesn't matter what course you're doing.

Beef up your CV, network with some professionals, prep for interviews and apply. Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beef up my CV with what, sorry? I mean I had some internships, but masters is probably the best beef up I can think of, or is it not?

Original post by RunningBack34
Apart from potentially answering a few questions on your interest in finance from doing a partially unrelated masters, any of those degrees would be fine. What I'd urge you to consider is which degree you genuinely find most interesting. The Mphil in Land Economy is equivalent to an MRes so is 2 years and includes a year of research, if you'd like to do a related 1 year degree which is more relevant you may want to consider the MPhil in Real Estate Finance offered by the same department. For both Finance and Consulting, most degrees are suitable for entry so it would be counterproductive to try and rank them!

In terms of the Bachelors vs Masters degrees it does depend entirely on the course but generally masters degrees from the same department will generally have better employment statistics (doesn't always hold true) due to masters students generally having more work experience and a better idea of what they actually want to do with their lives. For a research masters like the MPhil in Land Economy the employment statistics will be skewed by the fact that many of the students will aim to study for an extra 2-3 years for a PhD rather than going straight into employment.

As a side note what's your bachelor's in?

Thank you for your reply - very helpful. My bachelor is also from a good university in non-STEM business studies. I think both of these masters would benefit me great. Can the MPhil Land Economy Research be utilised in the same/similar way to the MSc Management? Which one would you take and why?
Original post by Helg

Beef up my CV with what, sorry? I mean I had some internships, but masters is probably the best beef up I can think of, or is it not?

Leadership positions in societies (or anything really), volunteering, awards...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Leadership positions in societies (or anything really), volunteering, awards...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's already like a veal beef - I want to do my masters also.
Original post by Helg
It's already like a veal beef - I want to do my masters also.

Then, I don't see what the issue is. If the masters programme interests you, do it because of that, it's unlikely to boost your odds significantly (unless you're using it as a step up in uni brand name) by itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody cares about your education as long as you have done a degree and got a 2:1
Original post by Helg
Yes, this may indeed be true. So which one would you take out of these two?

Thank you for your reply - very helpful. My bachelor is also from a good university in non-STEM business studies. I think both of these masters would benefit me great. Can the MPhil Land Economy Research be utilised in the same/similar way to the MSc Management? Which one would you take and why?

I'm mistaken in assuming that the degree would be 2 years (like many MRes degrees) it's actually 10 months/1 year but the point about it being research based still stands (i.e the need to be passionate about the degree). The decision as to which is more suitable is more or less already decided for you as Cambridge don't admit students with undergraduate business degrees to their MPhil in Management. Their LandEc research degrees also seem to require undergraduate degrees in related subjects (which presumably means Econ/Law/Geography/Real Estate/Surveying etc). If you have an opportunity to do a final year project I'd recommend you try to do it in a topic related to Urban Development, Land Policy or something related (should help your case when applying). The other masters offered by the department are definitely open to business graduates though!

It's amazing how people comment without having the slightest clue. You haven't even studied a year at university - no idea of difficulty, applied for a single job - no idea of labour market, haven't studied postgraduate degree/applied for it - don't understand the purpose of postgraduate study. You honestly think the DPHILs producing world changing research is inferior to doss subjects like land economy. Says it all really.

OP you are doing it for the wrong reasons, don't recommend postgraduate study. I don't even understand the point of your question, obviously an MPHIL in Economics is much more employable. Postgraduate Econ degrees get people jobs in Central banks, highly quant roles, multilateral institutions etc. Given you need a 67+ on Economics Part II tripos to be accepted onto the MPHIL, the quality of student is higher vs. UG too. You won't get a place unless you have significant background in Econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Delete.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newcastle456
It's amazing how people comment without having the slightest clue. You haven't even studied a year at university - no idea of difficulty, applied for a single job - no idea of labour market, haven't studied postgraduate degree/applied for it - don't understand the purpose of postgraduate study. You honestly think the DPHILs producing world changing research is inferior to doss subjects like land economy. Says it all really.

OP you are doing it for the wrong reasons, don't recommend postgraduate study. I don't even understand the point of your question, obviously an MPHIL in Economics is much more employable. Postgraduate Econ degrees get people jobs in Central banks, highly quant roles, multilateral institutions etc. Given you need a 67+ on Economics Part II tripos to be accepted onto the MPHIL, the quality of student is higher vs. UG too. You won't get a place unless you have significant background in Econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chill out kid, as I said I was just giving my personal opinion.

"You honestly think the DPHILs producing world changing research is inferior to doss subjects like land economy. Says it all really."

No, we're talking about what is more prestigious, not what is academically superior or inferior.

There's no need to be hostile. If you disagree with me, fine, but calm down.
Chill out kid, as I said I was just giving my personal opinion.

"You honestly think the DPHILs producing world changing research is inferior to doss subjects like land economy. Says it all really."

No, we're talking about what is more prestigious, not what is academically superior or inferior.

There's no need to be hostile. If you disagree with me, fine, but calm down.

:facepalm:
:facepalm:

I find the use of 'kid' ironic, do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Says the guy who still watches cartoons
Says the guy who still watches cartoons

I'm actually disappointed in this par tbh, like genuinely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. I agree with you anyway, the subject doesn't really matter. That said, if you study Econ rather than English, have a natural advantage at interview.

I do think though that for more technical roles, and choice of career, the degree subject does matter and Economics certainly opens up public policy jobs which consultants aspire towards long term.
Agreed. I agree with you anyway, the subject doesn't really matter. That said, if you study Econ rather than English, have a natural advantage at interview.

I do think though that for more technical roles, and choice of career, the degree subject does matter and Economics certainly opens up public policy jobs which consultants aspire towards long term.

Agree with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
You won't get a place unless you have significant background in Econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already have a place and the thread is about MPhil Land Economy not just any MPhil or indeed MPhil Economics.The question is this: can you rely on undergraduate statistics for BA (i.e. in terms of employability) when you are applying for MPhil and to what extent will Land Economy as a postgrad degree be simiarly beneficial to undergraduate BA.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending