The Student Room Group

So lets discuss this dating lark..

I literally do not know how to do this so called thing called 'dating'.

I'm one of them people who likes to not be flung straight into romantics, like do guys not try and be friends with you first?

Basically whats the best way to meet new people? As in potential dates? Or how did you guys meet your partners etc?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol. Attractive woman needs to know how to meet people.

Would you like an oxbow lake and an interlocking spur in that river I'm about to cry for you?
Original post by natalie427
Basically whats the best way to meet new people? As in potential dates? Or how did you guys meet your partners etc?

Group outings, picnics, Bible Study sessions (don't throw stones), sporting events, the likes.
Don't have your eye on meeting someone in a night club or a bar. Even though it is possible to have a serious genuine and lasting relationship, the first encounter often contributes to the general lasting mood of the entire relationship. Meet someone in a restaurant where moods and minds are crystal clear, or maybe in a park, the gym, church, library, or right here on TSR:popout:
(edited 7 years ago)
You look good in your avatar, try to meet people in situations where it's friendly, but there is no context that you should be dating/hooking up, so everything feels more natural and genuine.
Reply 4
Lmao imagine coming on TSR thinking it was a good place for dating advice.
Reply 5
@natalie427

go places that are renowned for these types of things........... parks, restaurants etc.

btw I have no experience in this, am just giving you an option
Reply 6
Original post by Trinculo

Would you like an oxbow lake and an interlocking spur in that river I'm about to cry for you?

So many things wrong with this reply.

But primarily, not sure why the rude reply was necessary??
My most meaningful relationships were through introductions from friends and classmates.

I never got much from online dating. :no:
Reply 8
Original post by SecretDuck
My most meaningful relationships were through introductions from friends and classmates.

I never got much from online dating. :no:

I am aware that online dating attracts and is great for some people, but I'm with you in that it really wasn't for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Also, may I add.

I work with teenagers who have problematic sexual behaviours and men who are sex offenders. I have in the past got the feeling that this has put people off me.

So to you guys are there, would this be an issue?
It wouldn't put me off, but I would be kinda worried about your safety.
Also, may I add.

I work with teenagers who have problematic sexual behaviours and men who are sex offenders. I have in the past got the feeling that this has put people off me.

yh could be an issue :redface:
So, I ended my last relationship last year.

However, I literally do not know how to do this so called thing called 'dating'.

Guys have spoken to me but they seem to think that now I'm single I want casual flings (if you get my drift) and they all seem to be sickly and just not 'cool' (I mean cool as in - not themselves).

I have tried that thing called 'Tinder' and I even went on a date from it (I was sooooo nervous about it). I cancelled the second date because the guy hadn't organised anything at all and was not putting in the effort. I had to drive to where he works for the first and he wanted me to do it the second time or no date at all. I chose no date.

No-one approaches me when I'm on a night out - I'm not dog ugly so not sure why thats the case.

I'm one of them people who likes to not be flung straight into romantics, like do guys not try and be friends with you first?

meeting new people isn't easy I have found a lot of people through my work but traveling can work as well
(why do you think i plan to spend 4 extra months in SoCal than i need it that i am desirable and it a cheap area to live in moderate luxury)
Reply 13
Original post by Trinculo

damnnnnn that geography banter tho :rofl:

If that is indeed you in you're profile picture, I would imagine a lot of men would feel intimidated by your beauty. Not going to lie, I think you're stunning. So, if the men around you are anything like me, they probably assume you're out of their league.

Solution: Do the approaching yourself. You'll soon find dates, but be cautious of the muppets out there looking for only one thing.

Also, may I add.

Personally, no, and I can't fathom why any other guy out there would either. To each their own, however.
If that's you in your avatar then I'm surprised you're having difficulty. Maybe you're going for the wrong guys? Guys who just want sex, 'bad boys/lads'?

Do you flirt with guys? Are you picky? Find a decent looking guy you like, who seems like a nice, down to earth person and chat to him, a bit flirty. Maybe suggest meeting up some time but not directly asking him. Message him on social media/text to chat
This is exactly what I was going to say - If I saw the OP I would stright away think "She's way out my league" also OP said "Do guys not try to be friends first" ---------- Well I do, but most people don't because then they up in the famous "Friend zone" with most girls.
Original post by AndrewSCO
If that's you in your avatar then I'm surprised you're having difficulty. Maybe you're going for the wrong guys? Guys who just want sex, 'bad boys/lads'?

Do you flirt with guys? Are you picky? Find a decent looking guy you like, who seems like a nice, down to earth person and chat to him, a bit flirty. Maybe suggest meeting up some time but not directly asking him. Message him on social media/text to chat

Thank You!

Maybe its the flirting, Im a little amateur in that area.
Original post by -
If that is indeed you in you're profile picture, I would imagine a lot of men would feel intimidated by your beauty. Not going to lie, I think you're stunning. So, if the men around you are anything like me, they probably assume you're out of their league.

Solution: Do the approaching yourself. You'll soon find dates, but be cautious of the muppets out there looking for only one thing.

Personally, no, and I can't fathom why any other guy out there would either. To each their own, however.

Approaching a guy seems a scary procedure! Something to work on.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pav94an
This is exactly what I was going to say - If I saw the OP I would stright away think "She's way out my league" also OP said "Do guys not try to be friends first" ---------- Well I do, but most people don't because then they up in the famous "Friend zone" with most girls.

I get why guys wouldn't become friends first, due to the 'friend zoning' issue.

Quick Reply

Latest