Reply 541
Original post by RDKGames
Incorrect. Please, lay it out as follows:

2x + 12 + 6x + 8 = 32
8x + 20 = 32

Solve for x

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know how to do the first one.

For the second one, let's say that polygon has an nn number of sides. We know that the interior is 160. So you can recall your formula for getting the interior angle and apply it in terms of nn. Not sure how challenging you would find this because it involves some algebraic manipulation (I can walk you through it if you wish). Or alternatively, you can also find it because you know that the exterior angle of a regular polygon is found by 360n\frac{360}{n} so you can solve for nn as you know what the exterior is. I believe this is the way they expect because it's shorter but either is valid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 545
You know how to do the first one.

For the second one, let's say that polygon has an nn number of sides. We know that the interior is 160. So you can recall your formula for getting the interior angle and apply it in terms of nn. Not sure how challenging you would find this because it involves some algebraic manipulation (I can walk you through it if you wish). Or alternatively, you can also find it because you know that the exterior angle of a regular polygon is found by 360n\frac{360}{n} so you can solve for nn as you know what the exterior is. I believe this is the way they expect because it's shorter but either is valid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct. However, I think my GCSE polygon knowledge is a bit cloudy, because the answer to a should be 20 rather than 300.
It makes sense to me that the exterior angle is 300 but I believe in GCSE the exterior angle is considered to be something like this:

Look through your notes for the proper definition of what an external angle is and let me know.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/maths/shape_space/polygons/revision/3/
(edited 7 years ago)

That's correct. But the first part is 20. As it's 180-160
(edited 7 years ago)
Correct. However, I think my GCSE polygon knowledge is a bit cloudy, because the answer to a should be 20 rather than 300.
It makes sense to me that the exterior angle is 300 but I believe in GCSE the exterior angle is considered to be something like this:

Look through your notes for the proper definition of what an external angle is and let me know.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/maths/shape_space/polygons/revision/3/

This is correct, the diagram, exterior angle is 180-interior angle. The sum of the exterior angles must equal 360
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 549
Original post by 34908seikj
This is correct, the diagram, exterior angle is 180-interior angle. The sum of the exterior angles must equal 360

Are both answers correct?
Original post by z_o_e

The first one isn't. If this is foundation, then it makes sense that the answer to a is 20 and you use this in part b. However the second one is correct.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 551
Original post by 34908seikj

Original post by z_o_e

The first part isn't correct. You put 200 as 360-160 is 200. However to work out the exterior angle you do 180-160 which equals 20.
Reply 553
The first one isn't. If this is foundation, then it makes sense that the answer to a is 20 and you use this in part b. However the second one is correct.

Help on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 554

Help on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Help on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Angles ABC and AHC are equal, angles BAH and BCH are equal. Use this to mark some angles and find the values of some of the angles and see what you can do.
Original post by z_o_e
Help on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you might need to ask your teacher to do foundation if you're struggeling this much. There is plenty of worked past papers on Google and YouTube but because there are 28 pages on this thread it makes me worry a bit
Original post by iHammmy
I think you might need to ask your teacher to do foundation if you're struggeling this much. There is plenty of worked past papers on Google and YouTube but because there are 28 pages on this thread it makes me worry a bit

She said she is in year 10 and getting D's. Doing foundation would mean she wouldn't be far from the top grade. However, by working like this, she definitely has potential to get much higher grades but GCSE Higher Maths is literally getting the basic understanding, then applying it. Compared to the start of the thread, I can see she has improved a lot so I personally wouldn't suggest to move her down to foundation. Also not to mention she has another full year if Maths, this gives her plenty of time to work hard and reach a higher grade. I had a friend who was in this scenario in year 10 but now she is getting high B's. It just takes time for some.
Reply 558
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
She said she is in year 10 and getting D's. Doing foundation would mean she wouldn't be far from the top grade. However, by working like this, she definitely has potential to get much higher grades but GCSE Higher Maths is literally getting the basic understanding, then applying it. Compared to the start of the thread, I can see she has improved a lot so I personally wouldn't suggest to move her down to foundation. Also not to mention she has another full year if Maths, this gives her plenty of time to work hard and reach a higher grade. I had a friend who was in this scenario in year 10 but now she is getting high B's. It just takes time for some.

Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Help on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile

The blue angles are the interior angles of the two pentagons. You can find the red angles because it's a parallelogram where opposite angles are equal, and all of these add up to 360. Black angle + red angle should make up the interior angle of the regular pentagon, thus allowing you to find angle AEH.

Pentagons.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply