The Student Room Group

I May Have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Hi all,

In April 2015, I received a threat by someone I knew but I wasn't close to, saying they were going to knock my face in. This scared the Hell out of me and they told me they didn't care about police but that they were going to do it regardless. I saw him a few days later while I was at a bus stop and he sort of stood near me and made a phone call (I believe it was to his friends to come help him) but thankfully my bus came and I was able to leave the scene.

Ever since then I have suffered with terrible anxiety and depressed feelings. I never want to visit the area where I saw him because it brings back the fear (it's very very hard because my sixth form is near there). I always try to avoid going there on foot, I only pass through the area on a bus. These feelings have sort of come and gone since April 2015 and when they come, they flare up badly before dying down again. To this very moment, I am still petrified he is out to get me.

I have set up a fake Facebook account and added him as a friend so I can watch his moves and see if he's in the area. I can't tell if he's moved away or not because he posts statuses saying he has yet it still says he lives in the same city as me. His girlfriend lives in my city and a lot of his friends do too so I am always scared to go into town in case I bump into him there. Put it this way, there aren't many places I can go without looking over my shoulder or worrying about where he is.

A few weeks ago, I saw him in a local newspaper and he was on trial for committing an offence and he was due to be sentenced. I looked up the sentencing guidelines for his offence he had plead guilty to and it relieved me he was going to be locked up for a while, but I didn't know when his sentencing was going to be. I just had a nosey on his Facebook and it has been moved to a later date in nearly 2 months time so I know he is out and about. Reading these stories in the news has brought it all back to me and my fear has flared up. I'm meant to be going to a party in the town where he allegedly lives and I am scared witless.

Please advise me on how to cope with these feelings. I have no idea what to do. This fear is still eating me up, I have just managed to cope with it for the past year and 4 months. I can't remember the last time I was free from this fear and I am still extremely paranoid he will attack. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

In all honesty, I think you should talk to a doctor and/or therapist. It sounds as if you need it. PTSD isn't a pleasant thing.
Reply 2
Original post by TercioOfParma
In all honesty, I think you should talk to a doctor and/or therapist. It sounds as if you need it. PTSD isn't a pleasant thing.

I haven't officially been diagnosed. The title is a bit silly to be honest it's just the closest match I can find.
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't officially been diagnosed. The title is a bit silly to be honest it's just the closest match I can find.

I didn't think you had. I think you should tell a doctor/therapist what you just wrote.
Aw buddy :hugs:

Go to your GP talk about it.

I hate some humans sometimes :frown:
Reply 5
I didn't think you had. I think you should tell a doctor/therapist what you just wrote.

What would the doctor do for me though?
Reply 6
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Aw buddy :hugs:

Go to your GP talk about it.

I hate some humans sometimes :frown:

I'm worried the doctor won't give me anything to help me as I'm not even 18 for a few months. I've already had counselling but he was crap and just referred to him as a "little ****" and wasn't taking me very seriously
What would the doctor do for me though?

The practice would probably prescribe drugs and/or set you up with a councillor.
Reply 8
The practice would probably prescribe drugs and/or set you up with a councillor.

I've had counselling and it didn't work. What drugs can they give to a 17 year old?
I'm worried the doctor won't give me anything to help me as I'm not even 18 for a few months. I've already had counselling but he was crap and just referred to him as a "little ****" and wasn't taking me very seriously

Please don't be worried, it's actually good you're not 18 yet because you can still be referred to CAMHS, maybe give the counselling thing another shot?

Honestly, the best thing to do is to go to the GP and look at the options you have available to you, sometimes sitting at home we think that nothing can be done to make this go away but the truth is with the correct help and time, things do improve. What you've gone through is SO understandable, honestly it really is. Please go and try and talk it out with your GP.
I've had counselling and it didn't work. What drugs can they give to a 17 year old?

I am not clear on any brand names or anything, but usually they will give you drugs that reduce serotonin in the blood. That will bring down anxiety.
Please don't be worried, it's actually good you're not 18 yet because you can still be referred to CAMHS, maybe give the counselling thing another shot?

Honestly, the best thing to do is to go to the GP and look at the options you have available to you, sometimes sitting at home we think that nothing can be done to make this go away but the truth is with the correct help and time, things do improve. What you've gone through is SO understandable, honestly it really is. Please go and try and talk it out with your GP.

Is it really understandable though? My friends know what I've been through but I never tell them how I feel they think I'll do anything and I'm not scared but inside I am weak and petrified. Furthermore, I don't want my mum to know I've been to see a GP?
I am not clear on any brand names or anything, but usually they will give you drugs that reduce serotonin in the blood. That will bring down anxiety.

Will they give me those if I don't go with my mum/without her consent because I don't want them to tell her
Is it really understandable though? My friends know what I've been through but I never tell them how I feel they think I'll do anything and I'm not scared but inside I am weak and petrified. Furthermore, I don't want my mum to know I've been to see a GP?

Of course it bloody is!

If someone told me that they wanted to smash my face in and they I heard them call a friend I would be petrified too.

Your mum doesn't have to know, you can go alone and of course the doctor would keep all information private.

You're not weak, it is anxiety, it's the way your body is reacting to a difficult situation. It's not weakness, weakness would be hiding away from help while it eats you up inside.

Honestly, there is great help available and your situation is very understandable. Please go.
If you're given medication, no one other than you has to know about it. That being said, they will really want you to try counselling again. That may be a condition to get medication, considering it's not the clearest issue. Speak to your GP, your family cannot be told anyway, and if they want to refer you then agree. Explain that you've had a bad experience with counselling before and that's it's put you off. If you don't mesh very well with your therapist then you'll have a harder time, but give it a second chance. It took me three attempts until I actually found that it can help and that it can be very useful to me. Good luck
Of course it bloody is!

If someone told me that they wanted to smash my face in and they I heard them call a friend I would be petrified too.

Your mum doesn't have to know, you can go alone and of course the doctor would keep all information private.

You're not weak, it is anxiety, it's the way your body is reacting to a difficult situation. It's not weakness, weakness would be hiding away from help while it eats you up inside.

Honestly, there is great help available and your situation is very understandable. Please go.

It is definitely weakness because I am definitely hiding. I have turned down a lot of events because of my fear I seem to always be looking over my shoulder in certain places.
If you're given medication, no one other than you has to know about it. That being said, they will really want you to try counselling again. That may be a condition to get medication, considering it's not the clearest issue and your GP may want you to talk more in-depth with someone to get an accurate diagnosis (if necessary). Speak to your GP. Your family cannot be told anyway because that would be a breach of confidence. If they want to refer you then agree. Explain that you've had a bad experience with counselling before and that's it's put you off. If you don't mesh very well with your therapist then you'll have a harder time, but give it a second chance. It took me three attempts until I actually found that it can help and that it can be very useful to me. Good luck!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
If you're given medication, no one other than you has to know about it. That being said, they will really want you to try counselling again. That may be a condition to get medication, considering it's not the clearest issue. Speak to your GP, your family cannot be told anyway, and if they want to refer you then agree. Explain that you've had a bad experience with counselling before and that's it's put you off. If you don't mesh very well with your therapist then you'll have a harder time, but give it a second chance. It took me three attempts until I actually found that it can help and that it can be very useful to me. Good luck

I don't know if I want to go through that rigmarole though because then I'd have to admit I was really that mentally ill and I don't know if I am prepared for that :frown:
I don't know if I want to go through that rigmarole though because then I'd have to admit I was really that mentally ill and I don't know if I am prepared for that :frown:

If you're feeling like that, then honestly I think counselling is your best bet. With medication comes side effects, trial and error on what will work, regular reviews etc. It isn't as simple as popping a pill. Counselling isn't just for the mentally ill. Many, many people receive counselling. Some use it to relieve stress, some use it just to talk through things to help them understand things better. It'll also help you in the future in dealing with tough situations as you'll have learned how to deal with certain feelings etc from the counselling
Original post by chelseadagg3r
If you're feeling like that, then honestly I think counselling is your best bet. With medication comes side effects, trial and error on what will work, regular reviews etc. It isn't as simple as popping a pill. Counselling isn't just for the mentally ill. Many, many people receive counselling. Some use it to relieve stress, some use it just to talk through things to help them understand things better. It'll also help you in the future in dealing with tough situations as you'll have learned how to deal with certain feelings etc from the counselling

I don't even know where to start to get counselling. My sixth form certainly doesn't offer it!

Quick Reply