The Student Room Group

French water park bans "non-Muslim attire" for a day

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3723423/Outrage-France-waterpark-booked-Muslim-women-burkini-day.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36973212

Tl;dr
A pool booked out a day for women and males under the age of 10 to be covered completely from chest to knee to meet Islamic dress requirements, calling it a "community event". Attracts criticism from the "far right".

I have to say, I agree with the critics - I think it's in poor taste. A better event imho would be to promote the new range of burkinis without impacting on people who don't have to dress this way. I don't think it should be acceptable to promote this fear of a woman's body being seen by others, as though it devalues her - though I completely accept if people willingly want to cover themselves up. But don't try and force it on other people...

What are your opinions on this? A threat to Western values and freedoms or a celebration of the spread of the Islamic faith? Is this the only way to encourage more Muslims to go swimming - if you're a Muslim, would you refuse to go to your local pool if you knew that others would be dressed in a traditional one piece swimming costume?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's one specifically organised day, the 'outrage' over this is pointless and absurd, if the water park decided to make this a permanent rule, then you'd have a story and something to justifiably criticise, but so long as it's just one day, then I don't see the problem.
Reply 2
Original post by Olie
It's one specifically organised day, the 'outrage' over this is pointless and absurd, if the water park decided to make this a permanent rule, then you'd have a story and something to justifiably criticise, but so long as it's just one day, then I don't see the problem.

I presume the concern is that if the day is a success it may become a regular event.

Plus, as is so often the case, I doubt the converse would be allowed. A day banning Muslim attire would hardly go down very well...
If someone does a private and exclusive booking - there's not a lot you can do - or indeed you should do.

There's a swimming pool near me that had naked swimming once a week as a closed event for a particular group. You probably wouldn't want that at all swimming pools nationally, all the time - but if someone's legit booked it out - their party, their rules.
How progressive. Still, this is an insignificant "problem".
It's bit cheeky, like a mosque at ground zero, Why did they do that? I think these things send clear signals of who is boss.
Lol@ outrage. Its a single event and looks like a private booking. they are paying so as long as its not illegal none of anyones business.
One of the gyms I used to go to had womens afternoons and the men werent allowed int. It was annoying, but hey ho and its not hard to see some women prefer a women only session.
If it was hired out for a day by a private group they should have the right to specify a dress code before allowing people to be admitted.
Tbh I don't think it matters if others are wearing one pieces or two piece swimming costumes, as long as you yourself are covered. I mean to each their own, let them wear what they want to wear, and if you want to be covered, go for it.
I agree with everyone else, it's just one event, but if it became a regular thing I'd understand the 'outrage'
If I bought a piece of land and said you can only come on my land if you come in fancy dress as either a pimp or a ho that would be ok and it's the same here.
Original post by JamaicanMeKrazy
If it was hired out for a day by a private group they should have the right to specify a dress code before allowing people to be admitted.

You could say the same if they wanted them all to come dressed as jedi knights.
Really is ridiculous outrage over nothing.
Original post by 999tigger
You could say the same if they wanted them all to come dressed as jedi knights.
Really is ridiculous outrage over nothing.

Exactly right, this is thread, this whole story is a cheap shot at Muslims.
If I bought a piece of land and said you can only come on my land if you come in fancy dress as either a pimp or a ho that would be ok and it's the same here.

Cool name man. Nearly as good as mine.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Cool name man. Nearly as good as mine.

If I get banned I might come back as Sec(C1)

Which is the obvious intention of the OP. Its a complete non story that they have failed to comprehend becayse they were keen to hit the outrage button.

Well unless progressives actually start visibly condemning this kind of thing people are going to turn to the far right...

Edit: Didn't realise it was a private booking.

It's still stupid though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well unless progressives actually start visibly condemning this kind of thing people are going to turn to the far right...

Edit: Didn't realise it was a private booking.

It's still stupid though.

If they've hired out the entire park for one day, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to set their own rules provided those rules are within the bounds of French law?

They're not violating anyone else's rights whatsoever.
If I get banned I might come back as Sec(C1)

Don't suppose you make Jerk Chicken/Pork do you?

Looking for tips to improve mine.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Don't suppose you make Jerk Chicken? Looking for tips to improve mine......

I often find the sauce ends up all over my fingers...
I often find the sauce ends up all over my fingers...

Damn. I don't make the sauce, just the rub. I have to bbq it, but haven't done it the right way over wood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending