The Student Room Group

What to do after failing University?

So i basically had severe depression through 2nd and 3rd year in Uni which made it hard for me to leave my room and missed out on a lot of opportunities.

I've messed up and graduated with aHigher Education Diploma. I've tried appealing and explaining my circumstances however my appeal has been rejected.

I'm wondering what can I do now that I have a Higher Education Diploma?

Literally any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by justdateriguy
So i basically had severe depression through 2nd and 3rd year in Uni which made it hard for me to leave my room and missed out on a lot of opportunities.

I've messed up and graduated with aHigher Education Diploma. I've tried appealing and explaining my circumstances however my appeal has been rejected.

I'm wondering what can I do now that I have a Higher Education Diploma?

Literally any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Are you asking for advice about applying for other courses or jobs/careers or life in general, so I can move this to the right forum for you to get useful replies?
[QUOTE=Carnationlilyrose;66752954]Are you asking for advice about applying for other courses or jobs/careers or life in general, so I can move this to the right forum for you to get useful replies?

If I can use the credits to carry on with a course related to finance to improve my chance working at an investment bank
If I can use the credits to carry on with a course related to finance to improve my chance working at an investment bank

You might also like to post in the banking and finance forums, but you should be aware that you have no further entitlement to student finance now. You might like to check that in the student finance forum, but you aren't given anything for a second degree, and although you didn't graduate with a degree, you followed the degree course for the whole of it and left with a qualification. I don't want to discourage you, but you need to set out from a position of knowledge.These two are very knowledgeable about student finance:@Klix88 @Tiger Rag

There is a chance (not a big chance, but a chance) that other universities will let you transfer into the last year of a degree, but you need to email admission tutors individually to ask 1) do they accept transfers and 2) if they do, whether your modules match their degree programme. If you can't find anywhere then consider the Open University, they definitely accept transfers.

If you can prove that you have severe depression (with a doctor's note or similar) then you can apply to Student Finance and ask to be awarded an additional year of funding because of your 'compelling personal reasons'. To apply for funding due to compelling personal reasons (CPR), you must send a cover letter to Student Finance explaining how your CPR affected your ability to study at the time. Aberystwyth University has put together a good guide for how to write your cover letter, see here: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-finance/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/
Original post by Snufkin
There is a chance (not a big chance, but a chance) that other universities will let you transfer into the last year of a degree, but you need to email admission tutors individually to ask 1) do they accept transfers and 2) if they do, whether your modules match their degree programme. If you can't find anywhere then consider the Open University, they definitely accept transfers.

If you can prove that you have severe depression (with a doctor's note or similar) then you can apply to Student Finance and ask to be awarded an additional year of funding because of your 'compelling personal reasons'. To apply for funding due to compelling personal reasons (CPR), you must send a cover letter to Student Finance explaining how your CPR affected your ability to study at the time. Aberystwyth University has put together a good guide for how to write your cover letter, see here: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-finance/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/

The thing is i've completed the 3rd year of the degree and left with a Higher eduction diploma. Would there still be a chance for me to be able to transfer into another uni? Also would the OU still be available if not?

That link also is great! thank you so much!
Reply 6
The thing is i've completed the 3rd year of the degree and left with a Higher eduction diploma. Would there still be a chance for me to be able to transfer into another uni? Also would the OU still be available if not?

Firstly, were you on a four year degree or at uni in Scotland?*On a standard English three year degree course, you would get a DipHE after successfully completing the second year. Leaving with a DipHE after your third year, would indicate that you failed your third year. The lowest final year degree pass woukd be a non-honours Ordinary degree.*

I believe you can still get a CPR year of funding and transfer even if you've completed 3 years of uni, yes. But contact Student Finance to be sure.
Original post by Klix88
Firstly, were you on a four year degree or at uni in Scotland?*On a standard English three year degree course, you would get a DipHE after successfully completing the second year. Leaving with a DipHE after your third year, would indicate that you failed your third year. The lowest final year degree pass woukd be a non-honours Ordinary degree.*

I was on a English 3 year degree so u failed my third year. Would it be possible to transfer into another uni or would I be able to transfer into a open university?
I was on a English 3 year degree so u failed my third year. Would it be possible to transfer into another uni or would I be able to transfer into a open university?

You are going to struggle to find a university that will allow you to transfer into the third year, especially with a fail behind you. Snufkin knows more about the OU and could perhaps advise there.
Reply 10
So i basically had severe depression through 2nd and 3rd year in Uni which made it hard for me to leave my room and missed out on a lot of opportunities. I've messed up and graduated with aHigher Education Diploma. I've tried appealing and explaining my circumstances however my appeal has been rejected. I'm wondering what can I do now that I have a Higher Education Diploma?

Another option might be a one year degree top-up. (@Snufkin do you agree?)

e.g. http://www.coventry.ac.uk/cuc/study/courses-designed-to-suit-you/top-up-degrees/
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/information-about-courses/types-study/top-degrees?utm_source=shortcuts-cw&utm_medium=shortcuts-cw&utm_campaign=topup-degrees

Although I don't know if you will get SFE unless you can establish compelling reasons for your problems in your 3rd year.

What course was your original degree/DipHE?
(edited 7 years ago)

It doesn't matter that you failed your third year, you can still transfer your first and second year credits into the OU. See here for more information: http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/

Original post by jneill

Yes, I do. :biggrin:
Original post by jneill

e.g. http://www.coventry.ac.uk/cuc/study/courses-designed-to-suit-you/top-up-degrees/
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/information-about-courses/types-study/top-degrees?utm_source=shortcuts-cw&utm_medium=shortcuts-cw&utm_campaign=topup-degrees

Although I don't know if you will get SFE unless you can establish compelling reasons for your problems in your 3rd year.

What course was your original degree/DipHE?

Yeah I hope SFE accept my CPR.

Also my course was chemical engineering. I can't see chemical engineering in the list for the 2 links you sent me on a degree top-up :/

Does that mean its out of the question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending