The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Oct 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joanna04
Hello,

Is anyone starting a course at the Open University this year?
I'm starting in October 2016, studying Bsc Law and Psychology.
Be cool to see what other people are studying :smile:

I'm enrolled for BSC(Hons) Psychology in October. I've decided to go full time in my first year and start with DE100 - Investigating Psychology and E102 - Childhood Studies.

I've recently completed the Y032 Access Course as it had been a while since I studied and wanted to gauge my skill level (Passed with 80%).

Glad there's a thread for October starters! Has anyone joined the facebook groups for their module yet?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Computing IT & Design starting in Oct! TU100 :biggrin: EEEK excited.
Yup! Signed up for the first module of Education Studies in Oct (assuming loan is approved!). I cant decide whether to stick to the one subject or make it an open degree and combine it with something else (maybe computing) though...
I'm taking a BA in Arts & Humanities, and studying psychology for one of the first year modules. I cannot wait! :smile:
It's exciting isn't it?! I know this is mean but a couple of people I work with are about to head out to brick uni's and they're worrying about housing/halls/expenses and loans and I'm feeling so relieved that the only thing I need to worry about is study timing and the one loan!
Hello all 🙋 I'm starting in October too. BA honours in Law and Criminology. Very excited to get stuck in but feeling nervous too. Xxx
Reply 26
doing BSc mathematics :smile:
Original post by Beth2907
Yes! I am starting BA (Hons) Criminology and Law. Scared but determined!

Hi Beth just thought id say hi... im starting the same course in October like you im scared but excited to start. Xxx
Reply 28
I'm enrolled in an open degree starting with SDK100 science: and evidence based approach. Just put my finance application in and once that's sorted I'll be starting in October!
Reply 29
Hello everyone - I'm starting BA honours in Business Management [Marketing] in October. I can't wait to get started but feel a little bit nervous at the same time.
Bsc (Honors) Natural Sciences, although I've bottled it and pulled out twice before so watch this space -_-
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello all,
I am starting in October too. Open degree in Physics..

Starting with MU123, MST124 and S111.

Was going to do MST124 MST125 but I can't remember how to do much at all of AS level maths so decided on the easier two.
Original post by Stinktank
Bsc (Honors) Natural Sciences, although I've bottled it and pulled out twice before so watch this space -_-

What made you bottle it @Stinktank? I'm sure a few of us here could help if nerves are the cause!
Reply 33
Hi, I'm doing B Eng (Hons) Engineering. I did a year at uni 2010/2011 so picked up 120 credits there. Due to bullying by one of the lecturers, I had to leave and I transferred my credits over in 2014. I'm starting T207 in October and looking forward to it. I'll be finished by 2020, so a long degree! I have done a few MOOCs on edX to keep myself busy and prepare me for the course.
Original post by Alison4689
What made you bottle it @Stinktank? I'm sure a few of us here could help if nerves are the cause!
I just have anxiety in general, and a very skittish, erratic personality. One week I want to write a book/screenplay, make a short film, the next I want to go into politics, study a degree etc etc. On top of that I have a new born baby, a sickly parent, and no qualifications or experience writing essays beyond secondary education, although I'm aware of online resources such as openlearn and The Khan Academy, and have read a fair amount of science books in the past, so I'm not entirely clueless.

Sorry if the punctuation is a little rough, I'm suffering from an intense migraine in bed 👎
Well anxiety is a b*tch at the best of times! Though, with a new born (congratulations!) and an ill parent it already sounds like a mountain, but I like that you know you want to do it at all.

I'm the same with experience at least, I failed abysmally in school so the access course was a gentle ease back into study and helped me realise I'm not quite as dumb as I've always been led to believe.

Whether you do it or not, it'd be nice to hear how you get on :smile: You always have the option of banking credits don't you?

Sympathy for the migraine!
Well anxiety is a terror at the best of times! Though, with a new born (congratulations!) and an ill parent it already sounds like a mountain, but I like that you know you want to do it at all.

I'm the same with experience at least, I failed abysmally in school so the access course was a gentle ease back into study and helped me realise I'm not quite as dumb as I've always been led to believe.

Whether you do it or not, it'd be nice to hear how you get on :smile: You always have the option of banking credits don't you?

Well anxiety is a terror at the best of times! Though, with a new born (congratulations!) and an ill parent it already sounds like a mountain, but I like that you know you want to do it at all.

I should really have started an access course in the past, but the idea of taking longer than the 4-6 years I'd expect to finish a degree, at my age, isn't too appealing at the moment 👎

What are you planning to study?

Edit: Oh, Psychology 🌝🖖🏻
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, the time it takes was a big factor for me too but I'm (maybe hastily) deciding to do level 1 and 2 full time... we'll see how that goes though. But that would mean 4 years instead of 5-6 if it goes to plan.

Saying that, I have at least half on my plate than you do! I'm sure once you begin, you'll really enjoy it and that would carry you through.
Yeah, the time it takes was a big factor for me too but I'm (maybe hastily) deciding to do level 1 and 2 full time... we'll see how that goes though. But that would mean 4 years instead of 5-6 if it goes to plan.

Saying that, I have at least half on my plate than you do! I'm sure once you begin, you'll really enjoy it and that would carry you through.

Only time will tell I suppose, but thanks for the encouragement, and good luck on your degree regardless 🖖🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending