The Student Room Group

Graduated with a higher diploma, have I fxcked my chances having a career in IB?

So i basically had severe depression throughout my 2nd and 3rd year in Uni which made it hard for me to leave my room and missed out on a lot of opportunities.

I've messed up and graduated with a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering.

I've tried appealing and explaining my circumstances however my appeal has been rejected. I'm wondering what can I do now that I have a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering?

I would like to pursue a career in Investment banking, stock trading, etc...

Is Open university out of the question? or is there any other ways I can go through to get into IB?

Literally any help is much appreciated, thanks!
without a degree i don't believe it to be possible
You can convert your diploma into a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the diploma will cut it.
Have you considered doing a second degree?

You could possibly do a distance level degree via Uol...I think it would only take you two years instead of three because of your previous University attendance but I am not sure. It would additionally cost you significantly less than a traditional degree and you could moreover work in the meantime.
Original post by justdateriguy
So i basically had severe depression throughout my 2nd and 3rd year in Uni which made it hard for me to leave my room and missed out on a lot of opportunities.

I've messed up and graduated with a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering.

I've tried appealing and explaining my circumstances however my appeal has been rejected. I'm wondering what can I do now that I have a Higher Education Diploma in Chemical Engineering?

I would like to pursue a career in Investment banking, stock trading, etc...

Is Open university out of the question? or is there any other ways I can go through to get into IB?

Literally any help is much appreciated, thanks!

For the moment - yes. Get your head sorted, and part of that will be to get some realistic and achievable professional goals. You don't have a degree, so you can't get a graduate role in the first instance (unless you have contacts).

Do a skills review of yourself and work out what skills and experience you do have and where that might fit. You may be able to get some help from your Uni careers service, even though you didn't graduate.

You need to do something, and I'd suggest something that has prospects for progress, so not basic retail, or volunteering - unless it's with an organisation you have an interest in and would want to leverage a paid role out of it.

Don't think in cliches about jobs, ie generic ' I want to work in finance', you need to narrow things down more than that. Look at the jobs people do, look around organisation websites and places like Linkedin looking at how people got to the jobs they currently do.

Plan the long game, without a degree it will take years to get a job that traditionally requires a degree, if you are lucky 2 years, but in many cases more like 6 or so. Have a think what the steps might be.

But first of all, get your health sorted. Employers aren't nearly as sympathetic as Uni about MH problems - they are paying you to leave your room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending