The Student Room Group

18 year old at Eton College. Anything to ask?

I'm a 18 year old at Eton College. If you have any questions, post them below and I will try and answer them the best I can!

Scroll to see replies

Did you do Dave's pig initiation ceremony?

But seriously, how do you feel the quality of your education has been?
Reply 2
Did you earn your place through a high IQ and constant hard work or through a rich and influential family?
Reply 3
Original post by 1010marina
Did you do Dave's pig initiation ceremony?

But seriously, how do you feel the quality of your education has been?

Haha, I think that's more Oxford style! On a serious note, it is hard not having anything to compare it to. It might have been good to spend a week or so at state school to see the difference. But I feel the quality of education is excellent, not just academically but physically and emotionally too. Living with your peers helps you grow into a good person.
Reply 4
Original post by JohnGreek
What uni/course did you end up attending?

About what percentage of your class ended up at Oxbridge? Was there an inclination to apply for certain courses over others?

We shall wait and see when the results are released. I am in final year but I have applied for Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and University Of Birmingham. It's more of a natural thing when you get to this age to apply for Oxbridge because our beaks (teachers) slowly push you toward it and so do your parents!
Do you wish it was co-ed?
Reply 6
Are you by any chance a man called Harry, with a surname beginning with D, who was born in 1997?
Original post by HarryD97
We shall wait and see when the results are released. I am in final year but I have applied for Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and University Of Birmingham. It's more of a natural thing when you get to this age to apply for Oxbridge because our beaks (teachers) slowly push you toward it and so do your parents!

You can't apply for Oxford and Cambridge in the same cycle...
Reply 8
Original post by BobSausage
Did you earn your place through a high IQ and constant hard work or through a rich and influential family?

I'm not going to lie, a bit of both!
Reply 9
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Are you by any chance a man called Harry, with a surname beginning with D, who was born in 1997?

No actually, 1998! I believe HarryD98 was taken.
Reply 10
Original post by Serine Soul

...sounds like he let an Eton secret out. :tongue:
Original post by JohnGreek
About what percentage of your class ended up at Oxbridge? Was there an inclination to apply for certain courses over others?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Education/documents/2007/09/20/100topoxbridge.pdf

Around a third of Eton students go the Oxbridge.
Reply 12
Do you wish it was co-ed?

I am a traditional guy, so for the institutions's sake, no. However it can get hard talking to girls sometimes because we're not used to it. I guess it's something I will have to get used to.

oops we have rumbled the troll

So that's how they all get to Oxbridge? Huh. One rule for them, another for us commoners.

:tongue:
What age did you go there and were you homesick?
Reply 16
So that's how they all get to Oxbridge? Huh. One rule for them, another for us commoners.

:tongue:

And still only a third of them. :colonhash:
Reply 17

No you cannot. However there are special circumstances, which are personal so I won't reveal.
Reply 18
Original post by markova21
What age did you go there and were you homesick?

At 13 years old I started. At first I felt extremely bad, I hated it because I was so homesick. But then you make friends and settle in. After a few months, all is good.
Original post by HarryD97
No you cannot. However there are special circumstances, which are personal so I won't reveal.

Were you a choral/organ scholar?

Quick Reply

Latest