The Student Room Group

18 year old at Eton College. Anything to ask?

Scroll to see replies

What do you think state schools are like?
Actually my son, who is now 19 was given the opportunity to go to a boarding school in Dublin, The King's Hospital, when he was 12. His aunt and uncle were going to pay the fees. I really wanted him to go. It would have changed his life. I was a single mum on benefits at the time with severe depression and struggling to cope. But he absolutely refused to go. Said it would ruin his life. So he stayed at his local crappy High School [not even a Grammar School ] instead. He is still convinced it would have ruined his life. But I often wonder how he might have turned out. [Sorry for hijacking your thread OP ].
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
And still only a third of them. :colonhash:

Smh smh
Reply 23
Original post by Serine Soul
You can't apply for Oxford and Cambridge in the same cycle...

Sorry, I should of been more clear, all universities I mentioned I applied for internally. A sort of mock selection is the best way to explain it. And with the help of my beaks, I narrowed it down. All those universities were my original options, but there are only two on my official UCAS form- Oxford and UoB
Original post by HarryD97
Sorry, I should of been more clear, all universities I mentioned I applied for internally. A sort of mock selection is the best way to explain it. And with the help of my beaks, I narrowed it down. All those universities were my original options, but there are only two on my official UCAS form- Oxford and UoB

Did you get an offer from oxford? What course?

Ahhh I see.

What's a beak?
Reply 26
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
What do you think state schools are like?

I have no idea to be honest! I imagine that some are good.
Reply 27
Original post by Serine Soul
Ahhh I see.

What's a beak?

Oh sorry, a beak is a teacher!
Reply 28
Original post by markova21
Actually my son, who is now 19 was given the opportunity to go to a boarding school in Dublin, The King's Hospital, when he was 12. His aunt and uncle were going to pay the fees. I really wanted him to go. It would have changed his life. I was a single mum on benefits at the time with severe depression and struggling to cope. But he absolutely refused to go. Said it would ruin his life. So he stayed at his local crappy High School [not even a Grammar School ] instead. He is still convinced it would have ruined his life. But I often wonder how he might have turned out. [Sorry for hijacking your thread OP ].

I'm so sorry to hear that! I have known former state school pupils who didn't like the idea of boarding school, but they grew to like it! But at least he made the decision, and boarding school can be scary and for some it just doesn't feel right!
I have no idea to be honest! I imagine that some are good.

Yes, some are okay and some are beyond dreadful...:redface:

I'm afraid I experienced the latter when taking my GCSE's ( :colonhash: ) but then moved to a better one, so it all turned out okay I suppose.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Trapz99
Did you get an offer from oxford? What course?

Yes, PPE!
How did you do in your GCSEs and what are you predictions (a rough guess) going to be for A2
Reply 32
Do you feel people judge/put you into a certain stereotype because of your educational background? I.e. Because you went to Eton?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Have you ever watched The Inbetweeners and/or Bad Education? If so, how does Eton compare to those representations of your average UK state school?Also, how many children of famous Kings or CEO's do you know?
Reply 34
Yes, PPE!

Oh god, a future PM.
Are you a regular at the McDonald's in Windsor XD?
No you cannot. However there are special circumstances, which are personal so I won't reveal.

wowowowowowow.
Oh sorry, a beak is a teacher!

Blimey, you have your own name for teachers?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Edminzodo
Were you a choral/organ scholar?

I am in the choir! Favourite is 'I was Glad' by Parry.
How much is the fee?

Quick Reply

Latest