The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gladiatorsword
Sorry but tsr wont let me pm you but its very impressive how you've already applied. You must be on a 4 year course for engineering? I'm

Indeed I am :smile:
Original post by inspiringtop123
x

Original post by Princepieman
Please don't be that guy

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a completely fair question. The uni you go to, specially if it's target/non-target, is not only very relevant to the admissions process but also a way for people to discuss with people from their same/similar uni how campus events and so on may be used to their advantage. He isn't asking anyone directly and you can ignore the question if you want. You really need to calm your tone with people in this thread.

I go to UCL, inspiringtop.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
It's a completely fair question. The uni you go to, specially if it's target/non-target, is not only very relevant to the admissions process but also a way for people to discuss with people from their same/similar uni how campus events and so on may be used to their advantage. He isn't asking anyone directly and you can ignore the question if you want. You really need to calm your tone with people in this thread.

I go to UCL, inspiringtop.

It's not, because as in other threads before it just makes for a distasteful atmosphere for people who don't quite go to a 'top 6 target' school.

I'd just rather the thread be used for information and any fun anecdotes - free of negativity, if you want to discuss about universities and exchange any personal information that is better done in the PM realm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not, because as in other threads before it just makes for a distasteful atmosphere for people who don't quite go to a 'top 6 target' school.

I'd just rather the thread be used for information and any fun anecdotes - free of negativity, if you want to discuss about universities and exchange any personal information that is better done in the PM realm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see your point but, unfortunately, applying to work at banks is not meant to be a sunshine and butterflies experience and knowing how qualified the competition is is a good way of motivating oneself. It certainly helps me.
I see your point but, unfortunately, applying to work at banks is not meant to be a sunshine and butterflies experience and knowing how qualified the competition is is a good way of motivating oneself. It certainly helps me.

That's fair.*

And to be honest, if you want to state your university you can, I can definitely see the benefit of doing so. But, I'd just rather people be mindful of looking down at others in the process of sharing this info.

And of course it's not going to be sunshine and rainbows ahaha.
That's fair.*

And to be honest, if you want to state your university you can, I can definitely see the benefit of doing so. But, I'd just rather people be mindful of looking down at others in the process of sharing this info.

And of course it's not going to be sunshine and rainbows ahaha.

Yeah I get that.
I assume you're applying for Spring this year? I'm quite nervous, ngl. Also did you read my post about the CS screw up :/ Hopefully that'll get solved.
Reply 106
Does Blackstone offer spring week. I just saw someone on linkedin with it?!
Yeah I get that.
I assume you're applying for Spring this year? I'm quite nervous, ngl. Also did you read my post about the CS screw up :/ Hopefully that'll get solved.

Oh yeah, I read it. There's not much you can do bar waiting for them to get back to you - maybe try calling?

And indeed I am, hopefully they go as smoothly for me as it did for my friends last year. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll land somewhere awesome this time round.

(I apologize for coming across as 'brash', I feel typing on my phone (and the subsequent thumb tiredness) warps the way I'd prefer coming across more than I'd like to admit).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RWiz
Does Blackstone offer spring week. I just saw someone on linkedin with it?!

Girls only, it's a two day thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, I read it. There's not much you can do bar waiting for them to get back to you - maybe try calling?

And indeed I am, hopefully they go as smoothly for me as it did for my friends last year. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll land somewhere awesome this time round.

(I apologize for coming across as 'brash', I feel typing on my phone (and the subsequent thumb tiredness) warps the way I'd prefer coming across more than I'd like to admit).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might actually give them a ring tomorrow.
Best of luck to you too!
And no worries :smile:
Reply 110

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 111
Any other megafunds doing SW's?
What do you guys think my chances are of landing a job in IB with a humanities degree (theology) at a target uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't that sexist. As a male i feel discriminated against. *triggered*
Original post by RWiz
Any other megafunds doing SW's?

nah, most megafunds don't even recruit undergrads looooooool. I'm getting a sense that you want to skip right to the top here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sikhanddestroy
What do you guys think my chances are of landing a job in IB with a humanities degree (theology) at a target uni?

Dunno, you haven't told me any pertinent info. But if you're worried about your subject, don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
nah, most megafunds don't even recruit undergrads looooooool. I'm getting a sense that you want to skip right to the top here

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have seen plenty of undergrads from SSE work in blackstone! And no, I just thought some might have sine BX apparently had SW! I just want to get as much experience as possible, trying all fields I find interesting. So i wish to try IBD, PE and maybe S&T! To get a feel of What I want to pursue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RWiz
I have seen plenty of undergrads from SSE work in blackstone! And no, I just thought some might have sine BX apparently had SW! I just want to get as much experience as possible, trying all fields I find interesting. I work at a Big HF/AM firm and did SW in management Consulting last semester! So i wish to try IBD, PE and maybe S&T! To get a feel of What I want to pursue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean, (PE firms offering longer term intern positions to European students) but they pretty much never convert them into full time positions post uni. Blackstone and Silver Lake being the exception - I believe they headhunt people with GS/MS/JPM or elite boutique summer offers and they do take on maybe 1-2 undergrads after.

Nice! How did you get the AM gig?

Truthfully the only experience you can really get that's structured (around the UK uni system anyway) would be IBD/S&T/AM. PE/HF etc would have to be via cold calling, again there are exceptions (i.e. quant hedge funds).

Best route has always been put in 2-4 years at a bank then recruit for PE/HF.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 118
I know what you mean, (PE firms offering longer term intern positions to European students) but they pretty much never convert them into full time positions post uni. Blackstone and Silver Lake being the exception - I believe they headhunt people with GS/MS/JPM or elite boutique summer offers and they do take on maybe 1-2 undergrads after.

Nice! How did you get the AM gig?

Truthfully the only experience you can really get that's structured (around the UK uni system anyway) would be IBD/S&T/AM. PE/HF etc would have to be via cold calling, again there are exceptions (i.e. quant hedge funds).

Best route has always been put in 2-4 years at a bank then recruit for PE/HF.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see! I heard GS TMT and MS M&A are the go to groups for landing an offer from the megafunds (KKR/Carlyle/TPG/BX/Apollo). However, I heard that they often send people off to MBA after a few years in the megafunds, do you think it's also like that in Europe? My plan is Bsc --> IBD/PE --> MBA.

So my plan is to land hopefully 1-2 SW's and if possible a summer internship in some small gig of a sort!
(edited 7 years ago)
Dunno, you haven't told me any pertinent info. But if you're worried about your subject, don't

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was worried about the degree. Just seems like everyone doing into IB has a quantitative degree. So is it not preferred to humanities or is it just a matter of university (the better the university, the less degree matters)

Latest