The Student Room Group

I'm Black an hoping to go to Oxbridge AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duncan2012
Given that just over 3% of the UK population are 'black or black British' it's hardly surprising the number is small, is it?

yes your right, but out of that 3% of black people, how many of them make it to a prestigious uni or 6th form?
Original post by hellomynameisr
That is quite stupid on Cambridge's side tbh. Does he know why he didn't get an offer?

No lol. The thing is, he worked so hard that now he's put off by cambridge for good.
Reply 22
Original post by mercuryman
No lol. The thing is, he worked so hard that now he's put off by cambridge for good.

How were his social skills? Weird question I know lol
Original post by eden3
How were his social skills? Weird question I know lol

Very professional with teachers. Some teachers actually made him explain things in chem, because they couldn't.
He himself was in the 'popular' group in my sixth form, but we were still best mates.

Spoiler

I don't know if It's right to say this but I kinda think you're right.

A friend of mine, who is black applied for NatSci at cambridge.

Smart lad, very eloquent in the way he speaks, very bright, very social.
Got: 12A* at GCSE
4A at AS (90 %+ in all modules, which is standard of course)
predicted 4A*

Was known as a 'God' in my sixth form. My sixth form wasn't really the best in the borough either. He himself came from one of the worst schools in london.

Was rejected post interview. He couldn't have prepared any more. I'm still surprised about the fact that he wasn't accepted by cambridge. He excels at anything he does. He managed to teach himself alevel FM in year 13 along with Maths, chem and bio.

Anyways, this is a little anecdote, so I guess it really can't be generalised.

I know someone with *exactly* the same grades, later went on to get 4A*s and 1A at A level with 5As at AS. He was white, charismatic, a wonderful lad all round, but didn't get in.

Do you not think it's a bit of a victim complex that because you or someone you know is black, that if they don't get an opportunity for whatever reason, that reason MUST be the colour of their skin? Sure, there's going to be some a-holes that don't want black people working for them. But you'll probably find that most of the time it's daft to assume it's racism...

Best of luck to you OP for your application, but don't use your skin as an excuse for not succeeding ;D it'll hold you back in life.

I did a shadowing scheme at Cambridge at AS, you should definitely apply if you get the chance ^^ CUSU it was called. It really opened my eyes to the fact that there are LITERALLY all sorts at Cambridge. All cultures, nationalities, people with crazy style. I always thought they were stuck up until I actually went. Sure, some of them are. But the majority no
Reply 25
Very professional with teachers. Some teachers actually made him explain things in chem, because they couldn't.
He himself was in the 'popular' group in my sixth form, but we were still best mates.

Spoiler

Haha that's weird he got rejected then. Because I knew people who were great academically, got interviews from top unis but ended up getting rejected because err... their 'people skills' were horrible.
Original post by 1010marina
I know someone with *exactly* the same grades, later went on to get 4A*s and 1A at A level with 5As at AS. He was white, charismatic, a wonderful lad all round, but didn't get in.

Do you not think it's a bit of a victim complex that because you or someone you know is black, that if they don't get an opportunity for whatever reason, that reason MUST be the colour of their skin? Sure, there's going to be some a-holes that don't want black people working for them. But you'll probably find that most of the time it's daft to assume it's racism...

Best of luck to you OP for your application, but don't use your skin as an excuse for not succeeding ;D it'll hold you back in life.

I did a shadowing scheme at Cambridge at AS, you should definitely apply if you get the chance ^^ CUSU it was called. It really opened my eyes to the fact that there are LITERALLY all sorts at Cambridge. All cultures, nationalities, people with crazy style. I always thought they were stuck up until I actually went. Sure, some of them are. But the majority no

Im not using it as an excuse, im just simply stating that it can hold me back
Original post by 1010marina

I didn't mention race being a sole factor, but deep down we all know it still somewhat plays a part in applying to prestigious institutions like cambridge or oxford. ;D

Just for the record around 7 people( none where white) applied for oxbridge in my sixth form, none of them got an offer (all got interviews). I think it's just oxbridge luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
I didn't mean to say race played a major factor. But his performance in his interview was sound. He doesn't know why he got rejected himself neither do all his teachers. But anyways, it could've factored in who knows. He's gone through the warwick route now (Basically like you).

Fair enough. Interesting. Maybe he didn't come across as well as he thought he did; loads of the time people think they had a horrible interview and it went great (in my case I was correct in thinking it was horrible I suppose), perhaps it works the other way round. I sometimes feel with all the excellent candidates for subjects like NatSci and Maths they must just be throwing names in a hat or something..
Mate why are you sending me a video about nottingham?
cambridge consider everything.
Original post by Hashtosh302
Well people, dont really think black people are smart or can go to a prestigious uni like oxbridge

If someone doesn't think a black person can go to Oxbridge or be smart, this thread ain't gonna change their mind
I didn't mean to say race played a major factor. But his performance in his interview was sound. He doesn't know why he got rejected himself neither do all his teachers. But anyways, it could've factored in who knows. He's gone through the warwick route now (Basically like you).

How does he know that?
OP I have heard that many black oxbridge students didn't like their uni experience. Does that put you off from going there?
I didn't mention race being a sole factor, but deep down we all know it still somewhat plays a part in applying to prestigious institutions like cambridge or oxford. ;D

Just for the record around 7 people( none where white) applied for oxbridge in my sixth form, none of them got an offer (all got interviews). I think it's just oxbridge luck

At that stage i dont think it 'luck' it must be some external factor

This is absolutely ludicrous.

There is only one way race affects the process, and that is in a positive way for the person of colour. I guarantee the interviewers were looking for any way they could accept your friend (so they can meet quoters/ show that they care about "access"). He obviously just wasn't good enough.

The grades you listed mean absolutely nothing, everyone has those grades (if not better) at oxbridge
Original post by loveleest
OP I have heard that many black oxbridge students didn't like their uni experience. Does that put you off from going there?

lol why would it put me off?
They obviously have reasons why they didn't enjoy it, which doesn't mean I will have the same reasons.

And also where did you hear this from?
Original post by Student403
If someone doesn't think a black person can go to Oxbridge or be smart, this thread ain't gonna change their mind

Thats not the purpose of the thread so it doesn't matter
Original post by ubiquitousking
As far as I'm aware, Oxford and Cambridge don't care about your personal statement that much. There was a talk from some Oxford tutor (or whatever he was) who basically confirmed this. I mean, you can't get away with a really sloppy PS but they mostly look at your academic performance.

thats not true, theres this person(I cant remeber his name) that got 7A*'s and didn't get into oxbridge, but got a scholarship from stanford
I don't know if It's right to say this but I kinda think you're right.

A friend of mine, who is black applied for NatSci at cambridge.

Smart lad, very eloquent in the way he speaks, very bright, very social.
Got: 12A* at GCSE
4A at AS (90 %+ in all modules, which is standard of course but is 98% in maths and bio standard?)
predicted A*A*A*A*

Was known as a 'God' in my sixth form, being a prefect himself. My sixth form wasn't really the best in the borough either. He himself came from one of the worst schools in london. (there's actually a documentary on them)

Was rejected post interview. He couldn't have prepared any more. I'm still surprised about the fact that he wasn't accepted by cambridge. He excels at anything he does. He managed to teach himself alevel FM in year 13 along with Maths, chem and bio.

Anyways, this is a little anecdote, so I guess it really can't be generalised.

My heart actually hurts reading this. Looking at this list, I'm shocked he wasn't accepted too. Where did he end up going to?
Original post by Hashtosh302
However, your only saying this because your white. You

You're* x 2

Oxbridge would not be impressed!

Quick Reply

Latest