The Student Room Group

I'm Black an hoping to go to Oxbridge AMA

My future aspiration is to get A*'s at A levels and go to Oxbridge to Study CompSci or Economics.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hashtosh302
My future aspiration is to get A*'s at A levels and go to Oxbridge to Study CompSci or Economics.

Why is your skin colour relevant?
Reply 2
Original post by Platopus
Why is your skin colour relevant?

Well people, dont really think black people are smart or can go to a prestigious uni like oxbridge
Well people, dont really think black people are smart or can go to a prestigious uni like oxbridge

Which people? People from the dark ages?
Reply 4
Don't worry we're not all Victorian on TSR. 😂
Skin colour won't make a blind bit of difference. They will take the brightest, most determined students who get the best grades and will represent the university in the best light.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Platopus
Which people? People from the dark ages?

C'mon, look anywhere theres a group of smart people, eg a private school or oxbridge? How many black people do you see?
Reply 6
Original post by tg1998
Skin colour won't make a blind bit of difference. They will take the brightest, most determined students who get the best grades and will represent the university in the best light.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From you view/perspective it doesn't make a difference, but from my one it does make a difference
Why compsci?
Why economics?
Do you support the Rhodes must fall movement?

How much do you know about what is involved at uni level CS/Econ? Thats not meant to be patronising, so dont read it that way :lol:
Reply 10
correlation does not imply causation.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Why compsci?
Why economics?

I'm interested in computers and I enjoy programming. Plus I might have a future career in compSci eg software engineering

I don't really know about economics, I'm just enjoy learning about business and the economy
From you view/perspective it doesn't make a difference, but from my one it does make a difference

I don't know if It's right to say this but I kinda think you're right.

A friend of mine, who is black applied for NatSci at cambridge.

Smart lad, very eloquent in the way he speaks, very bright, very social.
Got: 12A* at GCSE
4A at AS (90 %+ in all modules, which is standard of course but is 98% in maths and bio standard?)
predicted A*A*A*A*

Was known as a 'God' in my sixth form, being a prefect himself. My sixth form wasn't really the best in the borough either. He himself came from one of the worst schools in london. (there's actually a documentary on them)

Was rejected post interview. He couldn't have prepared any more. I'm still surprised about the fact that he wasn't accepted by cambridge. He excels at anything he does. He managed to teach himself alevel FM in year 13 along with Maths, chem and bio.

Anyways, this is a little anecdote, so I guess it really can't be generalised.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
How much do you know about what is involved at uni level CS/Econ? Thats not meant to be patronising, so dont read it that way :lol:

No much at the moment, but I'll be doing some research so I get a better idea of it to see if I'll enjoy it.

At most I know I will be studying programming and algorthims at uni for CompSci
No much at the moment, but I'll be doing some research so I get a better idea of it to see if I'll enjoy it.

At most I know I will be studying programming and algorthims at uni for CompSci

Good shout, that is a good idea.

One thing that surprised me, as i only found out whilst i was at uni studying that maths, is that a lot of both econ and CS is actually uni level maths, and it can get quite icky at times so just be warned 👪 but if its your passion then go for it.
C'mon, look anywhere theres a group of smart people, eg a private school or oxbridge? How many black people do you see?

Given that just over 3% of the UK population are 'black or black British' it's hardly surprising the number is small, is it?
Reply 16
Original post by mercuryman

4A at AS (90 %+ in all modules, which is standard of course)
predicted 4A*

Was known as a 'God' in my sixth form.

Was rejected post interview. He couldn't have prepared any more. I'm still surprised about the fact that he wasn't accepted by cambridge. He excels at anything he does. He managed to teach himself alevel FM in year 13 along with Maths, chem and bio.

Lol why should this be about race though. I got 4As at AS in Year 12, 93% average UMS or something like that, with A*A*A*A*A prediction (took up full Further Maths in Year 13, eventually dropped one of the A* predicted subjects), and was also rejected post interview. Probably because it was a bad interview. Are you sure that isn't what happened with him?

predicted 4A*

Was known as a 'God' in my sixth form.

Sometimes I wonder if this would happen to me, and if it does then so be it,there isn't much I can do about it. And if I do make it into oxbridge, how would it feel like being the only black person there?

Original post by tg1998

Posted from TSR Mobile

White people will say your skin doesn't make a difference. However, your only saying this because your white. You would't know what difference your skin colour makes when it comes to things like education.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Lol why should this be about race though. I got 4As at AS in Year 12, 93% average UMS or something like that, with A*A*A*A*A prediction (took up full Further Maths in Year 13, eventually dropped one of the A* predicted subjects), and was also rejected post interview. Probably because it was a bad interview. Are you sure that isn't what happened with him?

I didn't mean to say race played a major factor. But his performance in his interview was sound. He doesn't know why he got rejected himself neither do all his teachers. But anyways, it could've factored in who knows. He's gone through the warwick route now (Basically like you).

predicted 4A*

Was known as a 'God' in my sixth form. My sixth form wasn't really the best in the borough either. He himself came from one of the worst schools in london.

That is quite stupid on Cambridge's side tbh. Does he know why he didn't get an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest