The Student Room Group

Why is queston sent for review if correct answer but wrong working?

I sat the Edexcel Maths GCSE Papers in May and June. For one question, I did not know how to do the question and guessed and answer of 19. I put some random working on the paper in the hope of picking up marks. It turns out that my answer was right (judging from my friends)! However, one of my friends said that I would not get any marks for this question because I got the right answer from the wrong working. He said to check the Edexcel mark schemes as proof. The mark scheme said that 0 marks should be awarded and the response "should be sent to review". Why should the response be sent to review? I am really worrying, so can someone tell me what happens!?!?
The assumption is that if you got the right answer with no working out or incorrect working out, you are either very lucky or somehow got hold of the answers before the test. Don't worry about it. If you put working out for the rest of the questions they won't care (though it is true that you may not get the marks or the question - depends on the year)
Original post by 1010marina
The assumption is that if you got the right answer with no working out or incorrect working out, you are either very lucky or somehow got hold of the answers before the test. Don't worry about it. If you put working out for the rest of the questions they won't care (though it is true that you may not get the marks or the question - depends on the year)

Thank you so much!! Im much more relaxed now!!
Original post by dp00
I sat the Edexcel Maths GCSE Papers in May and June. For one question, I did not know how to do the question and guessed and answer of 19. I put some random working on the paper in the hope of picking up marks. It turns out that my answer was right (judging from my friends)! However, one of my friends said that I would not get any marks for this question because I got the right answer from the wrong working. He said to check the Edexcel mark schemes as proof. The mark scheme said that 0 marks should be awarded and the response "should be sent to review". Why should the response be sent to review? I am really worrying, so can someone tell me what happens!?!?

How do you know your working out was wrong? If it's just some obvious scribbles, then you should get full marks. Honestly, I'm not sure about Edexcel specifically, but OCR and AQA all give full marks to any question with the correct answer, even if there's no working out. But they do penalise if the working out is wrong. In retrospect, perhaps you should've just written 19 without any working out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
How can you do the wrong working but get the correct answer? Was it purely a fluke that your working lead you to the correct answer?
Original post by dp00

To be honest, an examiner is going to be marking hundreds, if not thousands, of the same question and I doubt they're going to read your working. I think they'll see a correct answer on the line and award the marks.
Original post by danielwinstanley
To be honest, an examiner is going to be marking hundreds, if not thousands, of the same question and I doubt they're going to read your working. I think they'll see a correct answer on the line and award the marks.
literally we just had to work out a certain point on a histogram! I looked at the histogram and had no clue how to work it out! So I just looked roughly at where the point was and it was 19. I am always unlucky so this was a complete fluke... i knew that if i got it right, i would only get 1 mark, because i had the answer but no working. So i just wrote 11+8=19 which was my final answer.
Original post by dp00
literally we just had to work out a certain point on a histogram! I looked at the histogram and had no clue how to work it out! So I just looked roughly at where the point was and it was 19. I am always unlucky so this was a complete fluke... i knew that if i got it right, i would only get 1 mark, because i had the answer but no working. So i just wrote 11+8=19 which was my final answer.

If I'm honest, if it's the question I'm thinking of, you would've have to draw a line on a histogram. You'll get at a minimum the A1 mark , if not all the marks.
Original post by danielwinstanley
If I'm honest, if it's the question I'm thinking of, you would've have to draw a line on a histogram. You'll get at a minimum the A1 mark , if not all the marks.
lets hope so! Thanks for all your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest