The Student Room Group

I'm Black an hoping to go to Oxbridge AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1010marina
I know someone with *exactly* the same grades, later went on to get 4A*s and 1A at A level with 5As at AS. He was white, charismatic, a wonderful lad all round, but didn't get in.

Do you not think it's a bit of a victim complex that because you or someone you know is black, that if they don't get an opportunity for whatever reason, that reason MUST be the colour of their skin? Sure, there's going to be some a-holes that don't want black people working for them. But you'll probably find that most of the time it's daft to assume it's racism...

Best of luck to you OP for your application, but don't use your skin as an excuse for not succeeding ;D it'll hold you back in life.

I did a shadowing scheme at Cambridge at AS, you should definitely apply if you get the chance ^^ CUSU it was called. It really opened my eyes to the fact that there are LITERALLY all sorts at Cambridge. All cultures, nationalities, people with crazy style. I always thought they were stuck up until I actually went. Sure, some of them are. But the majority no

Responses like this give me hope
Original post by Bright_Gift
My heart actually hurts reading this. Looking at this list, I'm shocked he wasn't accepted too. Where did he end up going to?

How can you possibly say that?

You know quite literally nothing about the recruitment process. He didn't meet the required standard at interview.

Everyone at Oxford has those AS/GCSE grades
Original post by 1010marina
I know someone with *exactly* the same grades, later went on to get 4A*s and 1A at A level with 5As at AS. He was white, charismatic, a wonderful lad all round, but didn't get in.

Do you not think it's a bit of a victim complex that because you or someone you know is black, that if they don't get an opportunity for whatever reason, that reason MUST be the colour of their skin? Sure, there's going to be some a-holes that don't want black people working for them. But you'll probably find that most of the time it's daft to assume it's racism...

Best of luck to you OP for your application, but don't use your skin as an excuse for not succeeding ;D it'll hold you back in life.

I did a shadowing scheme at Cambridge at AS, you should definitely apply if you get the chance ^^ CUSU it was called. It really opened my eyes to the fact that there are LITERALLY all sorts at Cambridge. All cultures, nationalities, people with crazy style. I always thought they were stuck up until I actually went. Sure, some of them are. But the majority no

Responses like this give me hope
Original post by ubiquitousking
What isn't true? They care about your academic performance. There's all the chance that he wasn't as good as other candidates when considering the admissions test and the interview.

Universities only really care about your top 3 A level results. Sometimes having more can be a hindrance because they increase your personal entry requirement. So 7A*s isn't contributing loads to their decision when compared with someone with only 3A*s (it still is impressive, though).

what im saying is they do care about your personal statement, otherwise anyone with 4a*'s will get it
Original post by Hashtosh302
lol why would it put me off?
They obviously have reasons why they didn't enjoy it, which doesn't mean I will have the same reasons.

And also where did you hear this from?

I thought it would matter because many of them felt discriminated.

And from social media (Ages ago when I used it) and...
https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/students-of-colour-share-their-experiences-of-life-at-oxf?utm_term=.jl50kV8qE#.xgmoZNMjp
Original post by TenthBelt1993
How can you possibly say that?

You know quite literally nothing about the recruitment process. He didn't meet the required standard at interview.

Everyone at Oxford has those AS/GCSE grades

Excuse me...What?
How do I know nothing about the recruitment process
Please elaborate to me where in "mercuryman's" post, it was indicated that this boy didn't meet the requirements at interview.

And yes mate, I can say that my heart hurts for a boy who was predicted straight A*s and achieved straight As didn't make it into Cambridge.
I know for sure that if I was in his shoes, It would suck. It's called empathy
Original post by loveleest
I thought it would matter because many of them felt discriminated.

And from social media (Ages ago when I used it) and...
https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/students-of-colour-share-their-experiences-of-life-at-oxf?utm_term=.jl50kV8qE#.xgmoZNMjp

Yeah I'm aware that I might get discrminated agaisnt? But what can I do?. Its not going to discourgae me tho
Yeah I'm aware that I might get discrminated agaisnt? But what can I do?. Its not going to discourgae me tho

cool OP :smile:
Wish you the best of luck if you get in :h:
Make sure you smash your admissions test and interview! They are most important assuming you have the grades etc to get an interview. Good luck bro!
Original post by Mathemagicien
Are you actually saying black people are stupid? That's pretty offensive, just so you know.

no, not really , your just making that assumputin
Reply 50
Original post by mercuryman
I don't know if It's right to say this but I kinda think you're right.

A friend of mine, who is black applied for NatSci at cambridge.

Smart lad, very eloquent in the way he speaks, very bright, very social.
Got: 12A* at GCSE
4A at AS (90 %+ in all modules, which is standard of course but is 98% in maths and bio standard?)
predicted A*A*A*A*

Was known as a 'God' in my sixth form, being a prefect himself. My sixth form wasn't really the best in the borough either. He himself came from one of the worst schools in london. (there's actually a documentary on them)

Was rejected post interview. He couldn't have prepared any more. I'm still surprised about the fact that he wasn't accepted by cambridge. He excels at anything he does. He managed to teach himself alevel FM in year 13 along with Maths, chem and bio.

Anyways, this is a little anecdote, so I guess it really can't be generalised.

Basically everyone at Oxbridge has these grades. Maybe he flopped the interview. You have to be quite lucky to get an offer it seems.
Original post by Mathemagicien
You are assuming that in a group of clever people, you won't see many black people. Please explain how that isn't racist...

what has intelligence go to do with racism lol?
(edited 7 years ago)
Same OP

Good luck x
I Know loads of black people at them unis, just theyre not on posters don't mean they aint therre
Reply 54
Well people, dont really think black people are smart or can go to a prestigious uni like oxbridge

'Oxbridge' isn't a uni. Oxford is and Cambridge is. Oxbridge is not a university.
Original post by Napp
'Oxbridge' isn't a uni. Oxford is and Cambridge is. Oxbridge is not a university.

Stop being pedantic. I think the poster knows that..
Reply 56
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Stop being pedantic. I think the poster knows that..

No.
chilll im black (somali) and i got an offer and i know personally two other black people with offers to cambridge and oxford. lool how can concentration of melanin in your body have any influence on intelligence looool
Best of luck OP. It can be done and one thing I'll always say is always go into the interview and assume they will judge you solely on merit and that's it (this is what I did in my interview and I gained an offer).
My future aspiration is to get A*'s at A levels and go to Oxbridge to Study CompSci or Economics.

believing in yourself is all that matters and having self discipline ( so this means waking up early, playing sports and not playing too much) yhh and do lots of questions and go over pastpapers even if you are going over them for the third time. (Actually doing questions is my number one advice)

Quick Reply

Latest