The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
Don't be daft. Did you sign a contract that Many signed, too? Did Mourinho publicly humiliate you?

Or are you going for the Dumb and Dumber kind of comedy with this post? You know, so stupid it's supposed to be funny...

I wrote to him but he still isn't calling. I sent two letters back in Autumn but he must not have got them. There was probably a problem at the post office or something.
Original post by sr90
I wrote to him but he still isn't calling. I sent two letters back in Autumn but he must not have got them. There was probably a problem at the post office or something.

Yea must be.

Reply 2082
I'm team Basti on this, Jose pissing me off before the season has started. Louis wouldn't do this :frown:
Original post by CSTF
I'm team Basti on this, Jose pissing me off before the season has started. Louis wouldn't do this :frown:

Team José all the way ffs.

He's going to put the club back on the map.

He was criticised when he dropped Casillsas, but when he left, fans were calling for him to be dropped again. He was criticised for dropping Mata, but won the title without him anyway.

Plus if he wants a 24 man squad he can rely on, Basti is too much of a luxury player because he can't be relied upon to be fit for the whole season.
Reply 2084
Original post by swirly
Team José all the way ffs.

He's going to put the club back on the map.

He was criticised when he dropped Casillsas, but when he left, fans were calling for him to be dropped again. He was criticised for dropping Mata, but won the title without him anyway.

Plus if he wants a 24 man squad he can rely on, Basti is too much of a luxury player because he can't be relied upon to be fit for the whole season.

Casillsas
Reply 2085
Mou thinks he's not good enough to regularly start, he did the same with Mata, if he feels he's good enough for his squad he'd play him.

Inb4 mind games. Either way it's too early to say and for all you know he could play his way back into the team.

Plus if Schweinsteiger were to go it's not like you're missing out on too much. He's more than replaceable.
Original post by CSTF
Casillsas

:colonhash:
Basti's still our best outfield player ffs
Reply 2088
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Is he?

He's a very good midfielder but if you were to get a DM alongside Pogba then really there is little point of having Schweinsteiger. Maybe his aim is to use Blind at CM too?
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Do you even know who Paul Pogba is:confused:
Original post by swirly
Do you even know who Paul Pogba is:confused:

Paul Pogba is just a fully fit Abou Diaby ffs

Does Pogba even defend? Cause I've never seen it
Kenan's the type of guy to criticise Ronaldo for not tracking back
Reply 2092
It's weird because Mourinho will make Pogba defend anyway which will probably waste his talents.
A b2b midfielder should be able to defend though

Pogba is basically a CAM
I'd imagine Jose has picked his midfield and has decided that Basti is not dependable enough to feature in it but is evidently too big to be left out.

I don't really feel the sentiment tbh, he's a Germany and Bayern legend. He was an LVG signing last year, pocket change signing, on some decent wages, if he's not going to play (and if Jose says he isn't, he isn't) then why are people so keen to keep him? He's just going to linger around, costing money and potentially causing problems. In many ways its kinder from Jose to let him know exactly where he stands in his final years than let him waste them watching from the stands.

If Pogba is inbound, and he's not playing as the advanced player in a 3 man, he's got no place. We've got Carrick and Morgan for the deep game, Pogba and probably Fellaini for the b2b, and the others for the 10 position. He's got Blind as the utlilty man to fill in if needed, he uses a small squad anyway so its not like he's going to be doing heavy rotation.
I don't get where the love for Schweinsteiger comes from, purely from a footballing perspective but it's generated because he's good with the fans, has a social media presence and probably is an all-round good bloke.

However, his behaviour (never mind his football) is questionable. He came in and had an opportunity to really cement himself within the fabric of the team with his leadership skills and role-model ability yet when he was injured and because of his cosy relationship with LVG, he was able to saunter off across Europe to support his girlfriend whilst supposed to be undergoing rehabilitation. Yes, he - alongside many others - was constrained in Van Gaal's football but if you're Mourinho hearing all this from the outside, and you don't see he will be fit enough to contribute as he could be injured for most of the season, you already have enough numbers in midfield then you can understand why he wants to let him go. But Schweinsteiger being banished to the reserves, again, it's down to training requirements. If he has 22 players, why should he include Schweinsteiger just for public relations or because of what he's done in the past? Anyway, is he supposed to carry the bibs as he can't be involved in the training?

Mourinho seems to have met all the players individually so I'm sure unlike LVG, he's given him the respect by telling him face-to-face rather than demoting him without an explanation. If Schweinsteiger doesn't go, then he's got a chance to prove Mourinho by working diligently and waiting for an opportunity in the first team which is unlikely as Jose's injury record is fairly good.
Jose is absolutely right, as always.

Schweinsteiger is past-it. He's a top bloke; I'd definitely go to his barbecue and have a pint with him, perhaps even some fishing, but he's not good enough or young enough to make it here. Carrick is the best passer of the ball in the team, and if we get Pogba then he obviously has to start. If we play a 2 man midfield (Rooney CAM, Schnei at DM) then he is 3rd in line at best - some could argue 4th if Blind is squeezed out of CB.

It's hard to be a leader when you're 4th choice in your position and you're not a club legend. Football is about the present, it doesn't matter what you did 7 years ago at München.

As for the reserve-team training, Jose is just making an example of somebody, Schweinsteiger is the perfect target.
(edited 7 years ago)
Quite a few of us called Schweinsteiger flopping when he arrived last season. There were a number of concerns he'd be good enough for the PL, and Jose is doing the right thing by trying to get rid of him now, as he has allayed none of those concerns really. Would be a good signing for an italian side where the pace of the league is that bit slower.

Will be interesting to see what Zlatan is like in the PL. Definitely an excellent signing, but at 35 in a few months, he's going to decline soon. He'll have a strong start, but will wear off as the season progresses are my thoughts.

When was the last top striker firing at the age of 35? Is a genuine question as I'm intrigued to hear comparisons.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth

Will be interesting to see what Zlatan is like in the PL. Definitely an excellent signing, but at 35 in a few months, he's going to decline soon. He'll have a strong start, but will wear off as the season progresses are my thoughts.

Reply 2099
He wasn't a striker and his goal record is pretty average.

Latest