The Student Room Group

[Help] A-level choices (Economics, computing or biology)

Okay so I'm definitely picking:
Maths
Further maths

In doing 4 a-levels so I need 2 more out of:
Biology
Computing
Economics

Reasons
I do computing and biology at gcse
Not economics

Expected GCSE grades:
Computing: A
Biology: A*

But I'm interested in all 3 of them but want to do 4 subjects + EPQ

I want to study maths or stats and finance at LSE

Which do you think is generally easier and am I more likely to get A* in

I don't know :/ but it's really out of economics or biology because I like the coursework aspect of computing and the programming, I haven't done economics before but I'm interested in both economics and biology.

What do you guys think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Maths
Further maths

Biology
Computing
Economics

Reasons
Not economics

Expected GCSE grades:

I don't know :/ but it's really out of economics or biology because I like the coursework aspect of computing and the programming, I haven't done economics before but I'm interested in both economics and biology.

What do you guys think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology doesn't go as well with maths as the other two.
Economics would be a great choice if you want to go into something with finance, and if you do Economics at uni, you'd have pretty much the perfect A Levels for the top RG ones.
Computing is also good as it is relatively mathsy etc but it seems as though you have a greater interest in Economics, so maybe go for that? :smile:
Honestly there's no course that requires computing that you wouldn't already be eligible for with maths/further maths - so I'd take biology as that opens up more doors for you IMO, plus having just finished it at A2 I really liked it, but that's just me. Economics is obviously a solid choice considering you're interested in going into finance.

There's also the point that many universities see computing as a 'soft' A level, especially compared to a pure science like Biology. There's nothing stopping you pursuing programming in your own time - hypothetically if you ended up wanting to go into computer science you'd: a) start from scratch so computing would give you an advantage but ultimately is irrelevant b) already be more than qualified
Reply 5
Original post by Bananapeeler
Honestly there's no course that requires computing that you wouldn't already be eligible for with maths/further maths - so I'd take biology as that opens up more doors for you IMO, plus having just finished it at A2 I really liked it, but that's just me. Economics is obviously a solid choice considering you're interested in going into finance.

There's also the point that many universities see computing as a 'soft' A level, especially compared to a pure science like Biology. There's nothing stopping you pursuing programming in your own time - hypothetically if you ended up wanting to go into computer science you'd: a) start from scratch so computing would give you an advantage but ultimately is irrelevant b) already be more than qualified

I'm thinking to drop computer science since I just found out there's no coursework and what you said is true so thanks👍🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by surina16
Biology doesn't go as well with maths as the other two.
Economics would be a great choice if you want to go into something with finance, and if you do Economics at uni, you'd have pretty much the perfect A Levels for the top RG ones.
Computing is also good as it is relatively mathsy etc but it seems as though you have a greater interest in Economics, so maybe go for that? :smile:

True but I find biology the easiest and the main reason I didn't wanna do economics is because it's an essay subject, but computing has no coursework so I think I'll choose biology and economics.. And yeah your right in saying economics is good for finance, and in LSE you can only do maths with economics but is that considered a join honour? I heard those are less respected or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Maths
Further maths

Biology
Computing
Economics

Reasons
Not economics

Expected GCSE grades:

What do you guys think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics A Level is easier than biology A Level. Plus, you want to do finance related courses, so I'd suggest economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also remember that you should be able to change one of your subjects within a month or so of the start of the year, so if biology isn't floating your boat you can just switch it up to computing if you have to - just some peace of mind, you'll be gucci :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies 👍🏾; so my final option is:
Maths
Further maths
Economics
Biology
EPQ

If I find biology boring I'll change to computing.

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
Thanks for the replies 👍🏾; so my final option is:
Maths
Further maths
Economics
Biology
EPQ

If I find biology boring I'll change to computing.

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you end up doing?
Reply 11
Original post by hannah tchibinda
What did you end up doing?

Maths, FM, Physics, Economics
Dropped physics after year 12 got an A in AS