The Student Room Group

What do you think of Makeup?

I wear some makeup on a daily basis, at my sixth form not many people wear makeup so it seems a lot, but a lot of girls at my high school wore excessive makeup so in comparison was less. So, I want to know everyone's views on makeup. What makeup people wear on a daily basis? And, What is too much makeup?Thank you x
Original post by Nimrahk123
I wear some makeup on a daily basis, at my sixth form not many people wear makeup so it seems a lot, but a lot of girls at my high school wore excessive makeup so in comparison was less. So, I want to know everyone's views on makeup. What makeup people wear on a daily basis? And, What is too much makeup?Thank you x

Personally, day to day I just wear eyeliner. I occasionally throw on mascara if there's some in reach, but I wear eyeliner on my top eyelids every day. I think what counts as 'too much' depends. Use as many products as you can be arsed to use, but too much is when it gets really uncomfortable to wear, and when it just looks silly (see 'slug' brows and orange faces'. That's definitely OTT in my opinion. For some people, using looooads of products might feel too much, but for others it's something they really enjoy doing so it's kinda different, really
Reply 2
I think makeup is fine in moderation. As long as you don't wear like full contouring, fake eyelashes, smokey eyes and stuff like that for just lessons or popping into a store I think it's fine.

I had a classmate who spent about an hour on makeup every morning just to get ready for school. Like full on face with fake eyelashes, blush, bronzer, lipstick, light colour eyeshadow, even coloured contacts most of the time. That's just too much for a normal day.

Personally, if I'm really sleepy or just going to the store I won't wear any. If I am wearing something it's usually eyeliner, filled in brows and some lipstick. Maybe some primer and concealer if I look crap. Only time I wear full makeup is special occasions. Even if I go on a date, at most, I'll add some foundation and bronzer before doing my normal makeup. I'm 20 btw, just for reference.
Original post by Nimrahk123

My general 'everyday' makeup is foundation, mascara, very slight blush and very slight powder contour, occasionally a liquid lipstick if i'm in the mood for it.
I know for a lot of people this would seem like a lot but I love makeup and find it fun so I don't really care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ plus aside from the lipstick, i only ever use it to enhance rather than add to my look, so it doesn't seem like that much really

I wouldn't say there is such thing as 'too much makeup' opposed to 'badly executed makeup'. Of course you can have too much for the occasion (e.g. a full face just to walk your dog would be too much) but as a general rule of thumb, as long as something is natural looking you can have as much on as you want.

If you're the kind of person who wears fake lashes and does full eyeshadow everyday and all that kind of stuff, it can still look good and not 'too much' when done properly. The normal problem is people cake things on and try too hard and don't blend things properly and it all looks too obvious and not cute.

Keep doing you though, OP. Wear as much makeup as you want as long as it looks good :h:
Reply 4
I don't find make-up attractive at all.
I love makeup. I wear makeup nearly everyday :smile: my everyday makeup routine would be foundation, mascara, concealer and powder. Sometimes I wear eyeshadow and eyeliner.
Some of the girls in my class wear full on makeup every day with contour, highlight, eye shadow etc.

I personally only fill in my brows, wear mascara and either tinted lip balm or lipgloss. Every now and then I would wear foundation.
My makeup routine everyday:

MAC Prep + Prime
Rodial Airbrush Foundation
MAC Prolongwear Concealer
Laura Mercier Translucent Powder
Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit/Benefit Hoola
Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz and/or Dipbrow Pomade
MAC Oh Darling Highlighter
NYC Liquid Eyeliner
MAC Fix Plus

I wear glasses on a daily basis so dont wear mascara. How much makeup people wear is up to their preference I suppose.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
My makeup routine everyday:

MAC Prep + Prime
Rodial Airbrush Foundation
MAC Prolongwear Concealer
Laura Mercier Translucent Powder
Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit/Benefit Hoola
Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz and/or Dipbrow Pomade
MAC Oh Darling Highlighter
NYC Liquid Eyeliner
MAC Fix Plus

I wear glasses on a daily basis so dont wear mascara. How much makeup people wear is up to their preference I suppose.

My heart is crying with how jealous it is that you have all of this :s: I'd love if this was my daily routine omg
Reply 9
To make it clear, I'm male, I don't wear it. From an aesthetics point of view I think that girls who put too much on cover up their natural beauty! Some is nice, like mascara but not full on 'putting a mask on'.
Reply 10
makeup is fab!! but some girls in my college take it too far and wear makeup as if they're going on a night out wearing fake eyelashes and the lot every single day ??? how can they be arsed ???
It would be interesting to have a thread of before and after makeup pictures. Id do it, show the power of the MU.
It's a wonderful hobby and art. When you look up the origins and history of makeup throughout different times and cultures it becomes even more interesting. It's annoying when people see makeup as just a mask or the stereotypical TOWIE makeup look, it's so much more than that
My daily make up for work/uni would be this:
Face:
-Smashbox Photo Finish primer
-Either Bobbi Brown foundation in 00 Alabaster or Nars Matte Glow foundation in Siberia
-Nars Creamy Concealer in Chantilly
-some kind of powder, atm a MAC one
-Anastasia Beverly Hills highlighter, usually Glow Kit*
-Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade in Dark Brown

Eyes:
-MAC paint pot in Painterly as a base
-whatever liquid eyeliner pen I have on the go, currently L'Oreal Superliner
-Either YSL Baby Doll mascara or Benefit Rollerlash

Lips:
-for day to day/work it'll be either MAC Patisserie lipstick, Charlotte Tilbury Stoned Rose lipstick or NYX matte lip cream in Cannes

:smile: *
I don’t like to use wear makeup every day. If you regularly go on a work on university, it becomes difficult to wear makeup daily.
The only makeup I wear on a daily basis is using one eyebrow pencil.
I don't mind if girls wear makeup on a daily basis but it's when girls 16 and under do too much like wear fake eyelashes as a daily routine that make me annoyed that makeup tutorials are so readily available on the internet these days with all these makeup guru's making girls think excessive makeup on a daily basis should be normal - I've seen some of these supposed 'everyday makeup looks' and it's such excessive makeup I wonder how anybody would have the patience or time to do such.
I think any make-up is fine as long as it's done well, of course this needs practice, which is why in a sense I'm glad I made most of my mistakes when I was twelve or thirteen.
Because of my skin I tend to put on primer and then foundation and then concealer and a powder, but had I perfect skin, I would only do eyebrows and eyeliner. I know people in my class who, at fourteen, used to use the fact that they didn't wear make-up as a point of superiority, so now I try to never judge people based on how they look (:
Love it as a way to express creativity or individuality, but don't like to see it used as a 'mask' to hide behind. Don't feel it's a daily essential and as such don't really wear it myself much. However I've a pink lipstick I love to wear right now for a day/night out as I think it compliments my equally pink hair so well. :biggrin:

Quick Reply