The Student Room Group

What excites you the most about starting uni? [Golden Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Freedom and money

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love my family, but I'm looking forward to some space to call my own and being able to do my own thing/not be working to their schedule all the time. I'll still miss them, but I'm probably only going to be an hour away so hopefully homesickness won't be too bad!

...is it weird to say I'm also kinda looking forward to doing my own shopping/choosing my own meals? :banana: (I'm the only vegetarian in our house right now, it will be nice to be able to have complete veggie meals instead of mixing and matching with whatever they're eating as a side dish!)
Reply 23
alcohol
I'm going back for my second year and looking forward to having a better freshers week I think. we know all the good places to go to now and will make sure we can get hold of these tickets plus it should be better in second year as we are a good group and living together so stuff just feels more settled. of course I am looking forward to meeting new people as well XD
Original post by fefssdf
The optimism in this thread disturbs me. I will post when I actually get the grades for uni.

Trust me fam. These threads make me feel beyond uncomfortable.
Independence for sure!
Original post by PugDevil
In case you didn't know, university is just around the corner - as if the countdown on the home page for Results Day wasn't bad enough :colone:

Let's focus on what excites you about the thought of university. For myself it was definitely the thought of independence :excited: Although being away from my parents has made me appreciate them 100% more, I miss being away from them now!

But hold on a second, I may have forgot to mention a certain something...

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with a chance of winning an iPad air 2!

What excites you the most about starting uni?

Other golden threads:

Spoiler

All those *****es that'll be kissing my huge chin :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully I get into uni:biggrin:. But I think the most exciting thing will be studying a subject I actually enjoy. All throughout your student life you don't get to choose what you're going to study, I know at Alevels you choose the subject but not really the topics within the subject. I'm also looking forward to making new and lasting friendships and maybe even reconnecting with old friends I haven't really talked to in a while. And finally probably the independence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
University sport!! My mum (who captained her uni hockey team) says it was one of the best parts of uni for her.. so far my plan is the womens football team (non negotiable as I've been playing football for literally as long as I can remember), possibly athletics/cross country but as I like to run solitary I'm not sure whether I should actually join the society, and possibly a new sport just for fun (my firm, UCL, has an amateur boxing society which I like the look of.. yes, I've already looked at the union website)... which is a lot of stuff to do I know (especially as I also want to join at least one non sport society plus get a job), but honestly I don't really drink a lot and tbh the very little drinking/partying experience I've had so far I haven't really enjoyed so I'm planning on skipping out on that part of uni as much as possible, which will hopefully make time for all that sport :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by catrinana
I love my family, but I'm looking forward to some space to call my own and being able to do my own thing/not be working to their schedule all the time. I'll still miss them, but I'm probably only going to be an hour away so hopefully homesickness won't be too bad!

...is it weird to say I'm also kinda looking forward to doing my own shopping/choosing my own meals? :banana: (I'm the only vegetarian in our house right now, it will be nice to be able to have complete veggie meals instead of mixing and matching with whatever they're eating as a side dish!)

I used to be veggie and my family teased me endlessly about it (I stuck it out for 3 years though).. but yeah the frustration of being the only vegetarian in the house, I completely understand
Being able to cook what I want to eat, not being moaned at by my parents and hearing lots of different accents :smile:
independence.
Showing off with the free ipad I'll be winning from this thread
Just the independence. Yes, I appreciate living at home and I'm sure I will 3 weeks into university, but I need to have some sort of independence.
I'm independent already. I do the cooking, cleaning, ironing, and looking after the pets in my house. Without sounding cruel, I'm interested to know how my parents cope when I leave (my brother already is moved out at Naval College). I'll enjoy cleaning only when I have to, not because I've been told to. I'll enjoy eating what I want, when I want. I'l enjoy having my own schedule and not having to cook around everyone else's. I'll enjoy shopping for what I want to eat and not wasting money on eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes etc.
Not working 9-6 5 days a week, although my disposable income will drop considerably.

Having time to see family, friends and to myself is more valuable than money! (at 23 yo!).
Living with different people my own age.
That makes me excited but nervous at the same time cause I feel like I will be bad with living with other people ☺️
Reply 38
It's been interesting to see so far what you guys have been saying :biggrin: Seems independence, 'love family but need to get away', and studying something that you actually like is most prominent!
I'm looking forward to living on my own for the first time all the while been scared of that same situation :tongue:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending