The Student Room Group

Single-sex accommodation

I've been unfortunately placed in single-sex accommodation, even though I asked for mixed. I'm completely upset about this. I'll be with 7 other girls and it sounds like a nightmare from hell. I'll be living in the Endcliffe Student Village (Sheffield). I get on so much better with guys; I'm so uncomfortable around other girls and I'm reading horror stories of single-sex girl accommodation in these forums. Is it really as bad as it seems/sounds? :frown:
Original post by AshleyMig_
I've been unfortunately placed in single-sex accommodation, even though I asked for mixed. I'm completely upset about this. I'll be with 7 other girls and it sounds like a nightmare from hell. I'll be living in the Endcliffe Student Village (Sheffield). I get on so much better with guys; I'm so uncomfortable around other girls and I'm reading horror stories of single-sex girl accommodation in these forums. Is it really as bad as it seems/sounds? :frown:

I was in exactly the same position as you-wanted to be in mixed accommodation but got put in an all girls flat. Ended up really enjoying it! The flat next door to us was all guys so we still managed to get some guy friends, but we managed to avoid their insane messiness, which was a positive.

Had a really good time with it*
Reply 2
Original post by super_kawaii
I was in exactly the same position as you-wanted to be in mixed accommodation but got put in an all girls flat. Ended up really enjoying it! The flat next door to us was all guys so we still managed to get some guy friends, but we managed to avoid their insane messiness, which was a positive.

Had a really good time with it*

Thank you for your reply, it made me feel better!
if you don't mind me asking, what was your accommodation? I'm placed in Howden, can you tell me anything about it?
Original post by AshleyMig_
Thank you for your reply, it made me feel better!
if you don't mind me asking, what was your accommodation? I'm placed in Howden, can you tell me anything about it?

I was in Curbar. I know Howden's right by the Edge and the taxi rank, so it's convenient, but can get noisy at night*
I was in Curbar. I know Howden's right by the Edge and the taxi rank, so it's convenient, but can get noisy at night*

Oh no, now you've got me worried! I've just been allocated Curbar and am hoping you can help answer a couple of questions?

1. How bad does the noise get, I normally like the window open :frown: I thought it was on the edge of Endcliffe so it would be quieter than like Derwent?

2. I am top floor so maybe noise won't be as bad. Are there lifts (please tell me there is lifts haha)

3. Do you have any pics of your room (feel free to say no), I want to see what the room is like. Does the desk stretch across and to the side like some of the pics from the other blocks?
Original post by momanium
Oh no, now you've got me worried! I've just been allocated Curbar and am hoping you can help answer a couple of questions?

1. How bad does the noise get, I normally like the window open :frown: I thought it was on the edge of Endcliffe so it would be quieter than like Derwent?

2. I am top floor so maybe noise won't be as bad. Are there lifts (please tell me there is lifts haha)

3. Do you have any pics of your room (feel free to say no), I want to see what the room is like. Does the desk stretch across and to the side like some of the pics from the other blocks?

1. Curbar's quite a bit quieter than the other blocks as it is on the edge of the village, however it's not deathly silent fortunately-you will be able to hear other parties to an extent.

2. There are no lifts in Curbar

3. I don't have any pics of my room (I've upgraded my phone since first year) but the desks in my flat didn't wrap around like that-they were standard desks that stopped at the wall.

Which flat have you been allocated? I was in C4*
OP why is that bad? I think single sex accomodations are better. I actually have a same sex builsing and wish mines was single sex, but generally I don't think it matters.
whoever you live with it's a gamble as to whether you get on or not, I wouldn't worry too much... all girl flats tend to be *****ier and the mess goes one way (i.e. they're horribly messy and gross or always spick and span) but there's no guarantee of anything in halls, all it takes is one horrible person to make your year hell and I know plenty of all girl flats who were really happy and got on great
1. Curbar's quite a bit quieter than the other blocks as it is on the edge of the village, however it's not deathly silent fortunately-you will be able to hear other parties to an extent.

2. There are no lifts in Curbar

3. I don't have any pics of my room (I've upgraded my phone since first year) but the desks in my flat didn't wrap around like that-they were standard desks that stopped at the wall.

Which flat have you been allocated? I was in C4*

Cheers for the reply.

1. That's fine, as long as its not super loud then I'm not fussed.

2. Wait really?! I am in C5 which I believe is fifth floor, that sounds pretty annoying having to climb several sets of stairs everyday and particularly with shopping. How did you find 4th floor? I honestly presumed they'd all have lifts.

3. Damn :frown:

I was all excited about living in Curbar too, but seems like its the furthest away from uni too. Not sure what to do...
Original post by momanium
Cheers for the reply.

1. That's fine, as long as its not super loud then I'm not fussed.

2. Wait really?! I am in C5 which I believe is fifth floor, that sounds pretty annoying having to climb several sets of stairs everyday and particularly with shopping. How did you find 4th floor? I honestly presumed they'd all have lifts.

3. Damn :frown:

I was all excited about living in Curbar too, but seems like its the furthest away from uni too. Not sure what to do...

1. All blocks will have some level of noise

2. C5 is on the 4th floor. There is no C1 in Curbar, so C2 is on the ground floor, C3 on the second, C4 on the third floor and C5 on the fourth.

3. You'll only be moving all your stuff on move in weekend and when you move out over summer. People usually leave their things over Christmas and Easter holidays, so not having lifts isn't that big a deal.

It's only a couple of minutes further away from uni than other blocks in Endcliffe-not enough to make an iota of difference to your time at uni. If you get involved with things, you'll have a great time, regardless of accommodation. Also Ranmoor's further away so*
Don't worry about the distance. It's all so close together, it's basically the difference between living at the start of a road and living at the end of the road. It'll add all of 2 minutes to your walk to and from uni!
You'll get used to the noise, any uni accommodation you live in you're going to get noise.
And I don't know where this "all girls flats are *****y" thing has come from! From my experiences all girl flats have this really good vibe where everyone's like this cute little family. They also tend to put an all boys flat opposite or above. Plus you'll be with other girls who wanted to be in mixed accommodation but missed out, so it's unlikely to be quiet or highly religious people you're with. Also, even in most mixed flats, after first year it splits off into girls and boys houses anyway.
You have a big flat which is always a good thing. I've always found that the bigger flats tend to be the most fun
Hey, so I've been allocated Endcilffe Vale, and I have no idea how it is. I think mine is single-sex as well, and I'm really worried single-sex accommodation is going to be boring and very traditional. Although I'd rather have my privacy, I just really wanted to spend time in a good international accommodation. Not partying or anything, but just spending time talking in the kitchen or things like that. I'm so terrified single-sex accommodation will be detached and dull, just people walking in and out without interacting.

I also got allotted a ground floor and am TERRIFIED of break-ins. Anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending