The Student Room Group

Thinning hair

Anyone else suffering from thinning hair? the top of my hair has thinned so much in less than a year, I'm thinking it's to do with diet cos i started uni but im not sure

Scroll to see replies

Hm could be a change in normal diet, but sometimes it could also mean a health condition. I remember when my hair started thinning a few years ago it was actually Iron deficiency anemia, so if the hair shedding is worrying it could be something other than diet or stress. Just keep an eye on it for now, but it doesn't hurt to get a blood test too.
Original post by AceOfClubs
Anyone else suffering from thinning hair? the top of my hair has thinned so much in less than a year, I'm thinking it's to do with diet cos i started uni but im not sure

Are you male or female?
Reply 3

My hair has been thinning since I was around 14. I've receded so much, and the top is thin to the point where it feels a bit strange to touch. It's almost like what they call 'an island' where the hairline recedes into the crown leaving a patch of hair at the front faintly connected to the rest. My sides are fine though.

It's got to the point now that I'm not really that bothered anymore. I sort of want it to go even more so that I can shave it all off.
Reply 4
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Are you male or female?

male
Reply 5
Try getting a hair skin and nails supplement to cover any nutrient deficiencies you may have you can get them for a fiver on Amazon or in Holland and barrets just look for hair skin and nails and also ensure you get enough protein although unless you eat no meat or pulses this is unlikely to a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks, was thinking if supplements, will make an appointmet with gp as well

I had a similar problem, particularly with my diet change at the time... (better diet) my dad (who's a nutritionist but know lots about other stuff) told me to have vitamin tablets, he gave me a-z vitamin tablets (which is a general tablet with all necessary vitamins and minerals incase ur low on any/ buy from anywhere like boots, no more than £2 I always use the store branded one cuz they're cheap and simply do the job) and also keratin tablet (which were a little pricey, but i got boots' branded Keratin tablets which boost hair and nail growth for like £2)

I took these for roughly 4-5 months every morning after breakfast (but it does take time, sometimes I thought it was pointless, but then I realised that my hairs were growing, but at different stages, so it still felt thin for a while) and noticed a huge difference, my hair was growing a lot quicker and the areas of less hair were regained

I recommend vitamin supplements because it has worked for me and others, btw i'm a girl, so I srsly care loads about my hair, I did my research and everything, I found so many BS remedies on YouTube, it's ridiculous on the effort I put in. It became simple to me, your hair loss/growth does more or less depend on ur vitamin levels mainly keratin and other things which I guess the a-z tablets cover!
Also I recommend, don't use as many heat or heavy styling mechanisms or products during the 4-5 months , leave your hair naturally, sit in the sun, let it dry properly, waah it atleast once a week, but I usually did it twice, I don't really tend to get greasy hair. I really do not recommend showering every other day, that's just stupid because your just washing away the oils in ur hair that see produced to stay for atleast 3-4 days to help ur scalp and whatnot... also try not to use dry shampoo or leave in conditioners or hair gel...

Also remember to trim your hair regularly so that it supports the growth of ur hair towards the same length cus they'll be growing at diff stages

HOPE THAT HELPED WOO:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I'm exactly the same, I've been diagnosed with iron deficiency but I've been having the tablets for 6 months and not the slightest improvement. & It was also said to be caused by stress but the stress is more or less over so it's not that either. It gets a bit better then a lot worse and just repeats like this. I'm so insecure about it and I've lost more than 1/2 of my hair before. I use coconut oil but it hasn't improved. I am a 16 year old girl. 😑😞
Nothing is working at all and the doctor ain't bothered. I get it trimmed on a regular basis but it falls out like nobody's business and I've tried loads of supplements etc from Holland and Barrett's and nothing has worked at all.
Do you know the root cause of the hair thinning? 😁
(edited 7 years ago)

No, I am not. As a man I prefer thinning hair.

Why do you have problems to accept thinning hair, even as a man?*
Reply 10
Well, genetics. I'm using Minoxidil and finasteride plus vitamins. That's life for you.

Original post by Kallisto
No, I am not. As a man I prefer thinning hair.

Why do you have problems to accept thinning hair, even as a man?*

Lol wtf...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whenever my barber would thin my hair I'd internally get so pissed off.
male

Most likely male pattern baldness then. Diet 'can' cause thinning, but uni age 18-24 is often when hairloss starts with men. Mine was quite gradual initially, taking course over 3-4 years, but it was only in the last year it became extremely noticeable.

You could take Minoxidil but the results vary widely from person to person, with many people it doesn't work, you'll experience initial shedding and it's effects are also fairly temporary. After 2-5 years you will be as bald as if you never used it, in some cases even worse! It depends whether or not you want to pay for those extra 2-5 years of hair (albeit still not a full head of hair).

You then have Finasteride, which is much better and longer term, however it will still stop working eventually. However it has a potential side effect of causing permanent erectile dysfunction. The official rate is 2% of users, however having spoken to many individuals who have taken it I'd hazard a bet that the real number is closer to 30-50%. It's more expensive, more likely to work and works better, but has extremely series potential side affects.

The only permanent solution is a hair transplant, which uses the hairs from the side of your head and places them on the top.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
Well, genetics. I'm using Minoxidil and finasteride plus vitamins. That's life for you.

Lol wtf... *

You can be sure: I would look awfully with long hair. Like Tarzan in the city. I am not be made for long hair. *
Reply 14
You can be sure: I would look awfully with long hair. Like Tarzan in the city. I am not be made for long hair. *

Well, you can just shave it. Thinning hair is more visible when shaved (and oh does it look horrible) so looking for it makes no sense.
Well, you can just shave it. Thinning hair is more visible when shaved (and oh does it look horrible) so looking for it makes no sense.

Indeed. Can't imagine that shaved thinning hair looks good. Thinning hair is too short to be shaved. It is completely different, if someone - like me - has long hair. And I am used to have thinning hair. Not only because long hair does not fit to my appearance, but also thinning hair (in the sense of close-cropped) does not last to dry so long than long hair.
Reply 16

Indeed. Can't imagine that shaved thinning hair looks good. Thinning hair is too short to be shaved. It is completely different, if someone - like me - has long hair. And I am used to have thinning hair. Not only because long hair does not fit to my appearance, but also thinning hair (in the sense of close-cropped) does not last to dry so long than long hair.

Not quite sure I'm following - thinning hair means shedding, losing it. It doesn't matter if it's long or short.

If you don't like long hair, just shave it short - why keep it when you don't like it?
I just get that fresh trim from a salon.
(...) *

If you don't like long hair, just shave it short - why keep it when you don't like it?

Two reasons:

1.) My hair is growing fastly. So fastly, that I have to shave it daily to keep it short.
2.) I am used to go to a hairdresser where my hair is cutting. As I am not spending so much for hairdressers in a year, I am waiting till the hair is too long.
(edited 7 years ago)
Two reasons:

1.) My hair is growing fastly. So fastly, that I have to shave it daily to keep it short.
2.) I am used to go to a hairdresser where my hair is cutting. As I am not spending so much for hairdressers in a year, I am waiting till the hair is too long.

Hair growth speed has 0 bearing on whether you're thinning or not. Thiining is in reference to the spread of your hair, not it's length. Thinning is when hairs that fall out naturally don't grow back. Whether the hair is long or short, it will fall out after a similar amount of time.

In all honesty a shaved head will look better than thinning hair after a certain point. Many men try to keep their hair for 5-10 years and it looks horrific. My hair grows extremely fast, I can in theory put off shaving for a week and at the end it doesn't look great, but hardly horrific. Ideally though I would shave every 2-3 days, you'd be surprised how many bald men actually shave every day or two, with your own set of clippers it's remarkably easy.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending