The Student Room Group

Who thinks Corbyn will win 2020?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by paul514
Only the Conservative party can win in 2020 it's nailed on

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think May is a despicable character to be fairly honest, can not stand her. I would not vote for her or Corbyn, I certainly would not vote for the Liberal Democrats who want another EU referendum . So at the minute I'm voting UKIP in 2020, If Labour get a real leader I will vote Labour but the membership will put Corbyn back in. I do agree that May will win but she will not get as many votes as Cameron and will get more seats
Watching the leadership hustings at the moment they're both make me cringe.
I don't think he will. But, I'd like it if he did.
I think he can, ut he needs the MP's to get behind him. They are an absolute disgrace, they're acting like brats! If the MP's do not get behind him then Labour wont win, and the Tory's will continue their destruction of Britain.
Original post by RuWill2001
I think he can, ut he needs the MP's to get behind him. They are an absolute disgrace, they're acting like brats! If the MP's do not get behind him then Labour wont win, and the Tory's will continue their destruction of Britain.

You live in cloud cookoo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Every time I see someone say something along the lines of "Corbyn has no chance of winning a General Election" it always feels like they are saying it to reassure themselves. On what grounds does he have no chance? His overwhelming support?

Anyway, time will tell
Original post by Castro Saint
Every time I see someone say something along the lines of "Corbyn has no chance of winning a General Election" it always feels like they are saying it to reassure themselves. On what grounds does he have no chance? His overwhelming support?

Anyway, time will tell

When you say overwhelming support do you mean the worst poll ratings of any opposition leader ever?

Or maybe 29% of Labour voters polled who favoured Theresa May?

Support from a few hundred thousand people doesn't equate to overwhelming public support.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol he has no economic plan. Obviously £500bn is gonna come from printing lots of money and borrowing continuously. Just no economic plan. Just wants to make the gap narrower between the rich and poor by taxing the rich heavily. If you want to be rich don't moan and say the rich should be taxed heavily just for your satisfaction. If you want to be rich work hard.

500,000 council homes... I'm not gonna get started on that.
Not a hope in hell.
Reply 30
Nobody knows what the landscape will be like in four years time. The media evidently despise Corbyn, and do everything they can to smear him, but people are becoming more and more disillusioned in that regard, I feel. I think he can be naive and I am concerned about his multiculturalism position (he seems quite accepting even of misogynistic elements of other cultures) and correspondingly his position on immigration and refugees. These probably won't win him any brownie points in working class areas that have traditionally voted labour. Nor will his position on trident (this is a very complicated and sometimes Kafkaesque issue, I feel, but most buy the simple "we need insurance" argument). Perhaps most importantly, the party won't rally behind him. A party needs simple, identifiable goals; it needs an agenda, a common purpose. Conservatives have that for the most part, labour doesn't. People like to feel they are in a safe pair of hands. Quite what is safe about slashing funding, moving towards privatisation, affording massive bonuses to certain people and looking the other way at massive tax dodging while disallowing relatively cheap benefits for others, I have no idea, but people buy it.
I think that Corbyn can win in 2020. He has won all his by-election and Mayorial elections since he became leader. Yet, people are going on about how he is "trailing" in the polls.

If people can shut up for one minute and allow the man to lead then we can see how he progresses. Some people are blaming him for everything. They said that the UK leaving the EU is Corbyn's fault, Anti-semitism in the Labour Party is Corbyn's fault, Slowing economy is because of Corbyn. Every bad thing is Corbyn's fault. However, when Labour wins by-elections or overturn Tory polices like the Academies Programme or whatever, then Corbyn was not responsible. Even the high rise in membership of the Party is not because of Corbyn. What rubbish!

I think that Owen Smith is an opportunist and when he talks he sounds like a whiner. He should be held for treason against his leader. Many of the Parliamentary Labout Party members are opportunists. This is the sad thing about the current mood in the Labour Party. The Tories rallied around their leader without even holding a proper leadership contest, but Owen Smith and others like him are chasing opportunism.

It is funny how Labour politicians rallied around Ed Miliband and when he lost, they railed against him. It is very sad to watch such a great party like Labour visibly show hypocrisy.

If Labour is disunited. The leadership thing to do by Owen Smith is to support Jeremy Corbyn and speak against opportunism and hypocrisy in the Party. That way, he shows what it means to be a true leader.

Jeremy Corbyn is one of the most honest Politicians in Parliament and many people are running scared because they want the good old days of Blair, Brown and Cameron where telling lies was centre stage.
He's trailing badly in all the polls, that's a fact. Winning a few by-elections in safe seats is hardly anything to shout about.
Original post by Wired_1800
I think that Corbyn can win in 2020. He has won all his by-election and Mayorial elections since he became leader. Yet, people are going on about how he is "trailing" in the polls.

Because he is trailing in the polls...

Those votes had nothing to with Corbyn - he's already been told off by Labour peers in the House of Lords for taking credit for things they've done when he's had no involvement. Khan won London without Corbyn's involvement.

Corbyn does not have the popular appeal to win the marginal seats. Without those seats - and without Scotland - Labour cannot win a General.

If people can shut up for one minute and allow the man to lead then we can see how he progresses. Some people are blaming him for everything. They said that the UK leaving the EU is Corbyn's fault, Anti-semitism in the Labour Party is Corbyn's fault, Slowing economy is because of Corbyn. Every bad thing is Corbyn's fault. However, when Labour wins by-elections or overturn Tory polices like the Academies Programme or whatever, then Corbyn was not responsible. Even the high rise in membership of the Party is not because of Corbyn. What rubbish!

It does not have to be quiet for someone to lead. If someone commands leadership then their voice is heard. His voice isn't because he doesn't. His MPs know they will not win an election with him in charge and then it doesn't matter what he'd like to do - if you're not in power you don't get a say.

I think that Owen Smith is an opportunist and when he talks he sounds like a whiner. He should be held for treason against his leader. Many of the Parliamentary Labout Party members are opportunists. This is the sad thing about the current mood in the Labour Party. The Tories rallied around their leader without even holding a proper leadership contest, but Owen Smith and others like him are chasing opportunism.

I think you need to look up what treason is. And then realise politics is about people with different ideas coming together and working out what's best, not one person blindly shooting off and setting up a personality cult.

They're not opportunists. They're people who understand that the way to change the system is by being in charge of the system.

Something that won't happen while Corbyn is leader.

If Labour is disunited. The leadership thing to do by Owen Smith is to support Jeremy Corbyn and speak against opportunism and hypocrisy in the Party. That way, he shows what it means to be a true leader.

Jeremy Corbyn is one of the most honest Politicians in Parliament and many people are running scared because they want the good old days of Blair, Brown and Cameron where telling lies was centre stage.

"If" it's disunited?! And no, you don't support someone who you believe has no credibility.

And most honest politician on parliament isn't quite the accolade you think...
Reply 34
Original post by MrMackyTv
Lol he has no economic plan. Obviously £500bn is gonna come from printing lots of money and borrowing continuously. Just no economic plan. Just wants to make the gap narrower between the rich and poor by taxing the rich heavily. If you want to be rich don't moan and say the rich should be taxed heavily just for your satisfaction. If you want to be rich work hard.

500,000 council homes... I'm not gonna get started on that.

Printing Money - Absolutely ludicrous idea from Corbyn and his right hand man, McDonnell. Are they not aware that this will simply lead to higher inflation and that it wouldn't solve our economic problems?What I would personally like to see is a credible economic plan that actually works for all unlike the Tories who's "economic plan" is basically an austerity program that targets vital public services like the NHS. What Owen Smith offers is a credible economic plan that calls for pro-prosperity and he has personally stated in the leadership hustings that the proposed £200bn British Investment plan would be raised through taxes, although I don't agree entirely on the idea, Owen does have a credible economic plan that can work. Now on to that 500,000 new council homes ... This is really a unrealistic figure and I can't see how this can be achieved. I would like the government to work with local authorities and organisations to crack down on vacant properties/land and work with experienced people like James Murray (Deputy Mayor of Housing, London) who has a proven track record in dealing with the housing crisis head on. We should use Islington as an example, a local authority known for tackling the housing crisis heads on.
Original post by Drewski
Because he is trailing in the polls...

Those votes had nothing to with Corbyn - he's already been told off by Labour peers in the House of Lords for taking credit for things they've done when he's had no involvement. Khan won London without Corbyn's involvement.

Corbyn does not have the popular appeal to win the marginal seats. Without those seats - and without Scotland - Labour cannot win a General.

It does not have to be quiet for someone to lead. If someone commands leadership then their voice is heard. His voice isn't because he doesn't. His MPs know they will not win an election with him in charge and then it doesn't matter what he'd like to do - if you're not in power you don't get a say.

I think you need to look up what treason is. And then realise politics is about people with different ideas coming together and working out what's best, not one person blindly shooting off and setting up a personality cult.

They're not opportunists. They're people who understand that the way to change the system is by being in charge of the system.

Something that won't happen while Corbyn is leader.

"If" it's disunited?! And no, you don't support someone who you believe has no credibility.

And most honest politician on parliament isn't quite the accolade you think...

My point is this. Corbyn has a mandate to lead the Party that elected him. Since his victory, the party membership has at least doubled in size.

For polls. Many informed people know that polls are very subjective and change according to moods of voters. According to a commentator on the BBC the other day, some of the so-called polls against Corbyn is because of the troubles within the Labour Party and not about the man himself.

Corbyn is trying to appease whingers, who, in my opinion, don't appear to be very intelligent. This is a clear coup. Once the EU vote was annouced, they went for the kill. They thought that they could force him out, but have since failed.

It is incredibly difficult for anyone to try to control their Party and also act as an effective opposition to the Government. It was the stress of Party politics that forced Cameron to offer an EU vote, which we all know was a huge mess.

I think that Corbyn does have the appeal to win in those marginal seats and in Scotland. The reason for Labour losing seats in Scotland was down to them not offering a clear distinction to the Tories during the Miliband years. As it was mentioned, Ed Miliband was the Austerity-lite candidate against Cameron. We know that Scotland is anti-austerity and so is Corbyn.

The key issue is that Corbyn did not lose a General Election, Miliband did that. The fair thing for the MPs is to rally around their leader and move forward towards 2020. The Tories seem to be the only Party, who know how to play intelligent politics in this country.

I think that Corbyn is not one of a personality cult, but a true recognition of his vision and direction. We should acknowledge the fact that some of the MPs are Blarites or Brownites and would do whatever it takes to wreck Corbyn's chances.

I really hope Corbyn wins again and in the next GE. He must take a ruthless stance against those traitors and seek justice for true members of the Labour Party.

I believe that Corbyn can win in 2020. Once this leadership challenge is out of the way, we must seek to progress rather than remain fighting inside the Party.
I believe that Corbyn can win in 2020. Once this leadership challenge is out of the way, we must seek to progress rather than remain fighting inside the Party.

You might believe it. So might momentum.

Nobody else does.
Original post by Drewski
You might believe it. So might momentum.

Nobody else does.

If people can give Corbyn a chance, then more will see it. The media sadly hates Corbyn, so he already has a massive hill to climb.
If people can give Corbyn a chance, then more will see it. The media sadly hates Corbyn, so he already has a massive hill to climb.

People don't want to give him a chance because they don't agree with him.

This is identical to the Foot situation in the 80s. Look how well that worked out...
Original post by Drewski
People don't want to give him a chance because they don't agree with him.

This is identical to the Foot situation in the 80s. Look how well that worked out...

Corbyn is a breath of fresh air. Making real change is incredibly slow and difficult. We hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest