The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pato1
'The report also found that over half of English 18 year olds applying to university missed their A level predictions by two or more grades last year an increase of 34% on 2010.'

Evidence of harder exams?

Or referees bumping up predictions.
Original post by Pato1
Evidence of harder exams?

No, the percentage of entries receiving each grade generally stays the same from year to year.
Reply 2282
Original post by Anon_98
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHAAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHAAH.

Out of interest, what would happen if I didn't check my A level grades?

+ instead behaved like it was any regular day etc?

Ignorance is bliss.

So there is literally a conspiracy theory that I read that says that SAYS if you don't collect your results it will be then if you don't collect them then.

+ my finger hurts bc I was sewing earlier + I hurt myself.

DAMN THE NEEDLES.

Are you...are you alright?
It's going too fast! Slow down a bit, time.
Reply 2284
Original post by jamestg
It's going too fast! Slow down a bit, time.

*slow! Speed up a bit, time.
Original post by DarkEnergy
What course?

mathssssss
is anyone else thinking of taking a gap year if they don't get into their firm/insurance lmao
Original post by fefssdf
is anyone else thinking of taking a gap year if they don't get into their firm/insurance lmao

I'm going to retake year 13 if I don't get into my firm, as my parents won't let me take a year out and then go to uni 😞.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elle_w
I'm going to retake year 13 if I don't get into my firm, as my parents won't let me take a year out and then go to uni 😞.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh I will take a gap year and will be retaking a few exams and will apply to my firm again plus another uni with lower requirements as they will give me an unconditional offer probably and then i will study from home whilst doing more hours for my part time job ... sounds so depressing when i think about it but none of the unis in clearing for my subject excite me enough that i would wanna go there :frown:
Reply 2289
The stuff about missing grades by subject was the scariest!!! Considering that my subjects are Maths, F.Maths and Physics...
65% of physics students failed to meet their expected grade.
~52% of maths students did too.
~45% of students predicted AAA missed their predictions by 2+ grades (I'm predicted A*AB so it's the best analogy)

Which means (if we assume all events are random and independent (isn't the case but I don't have the data on me))

The probability that I'll miss one of my target grades is: 30.1%
Probably I miss none: 8%
Probably I miss all: 17.6%
Probably that I miss two: 44.3% :eek:
I can afford to miss 2 IF it's only 2 grades I drop by and only 1 grade drop if I miss one,

Yeah that's scary
Original post by Aph
The stuff about missing grades by subject was the scariest!!! Considering that my subjects are Maths, F.Maths and Physics...
~45% of students predicted AAA missed their predictions by 2+ grades (I'm predicted A*AB so it's the best analogy)

Which means (if we assume all events are random and independent (isn't the case but I don't have the data on me))

I can afford to miss 2 IF it's only 2 grades I drop by and only 1 grade drop if I miss one,

Yeah that's scary

That maths though 😦
Original post by Aph

Yeah that's scary

yh my prediction is also A*AB and I need AAA for my firm and A*AB for my insurance but judging by this people with such predictions are most likely to miss them lol and probably true cause I'm expecting AAB on the 18th lmao
Reply 2292
Original post by fefssdf
ive got a list of unis I'll be calling in clearing, if none of them say yes then I'll probably end up Resitting.

Original post by Altun63
That maths though 😦

I can't help but feel that F.maths students will be less likely to fall short in maths
Reply 2293
Original post by fefssdf
yh my prediction is also A*AB and I need AAA for my firm and A*AB for my insurance but judging by this people with such predictions are most likely to miss them lol and probably true cause I'm expecting AAB on the 18th lmao

There is also the fact that the higher your offer the less likely you are to fail :smile:
Original post by Aph
There is also the fact that the higher your offer the less likely you are to fail :smile:

hahaha true but I can't help but feel that I'm going to learn the hard way why putting a firm and insurance choice asking for the same grades is a bad idea ... just praying one of them lets me in with lower grades or I'm gonna be picking some random course come results day
Reply 2295
Original post by fefssdf
hahaha true but I can't help but feel that I'm going to learn the hard way why putting a firm and insurance choice asking for the same grades is a bad idea ... just praying one of them lets me in with lower grades or I'm gonna be picking some random course come results day

40% of people who got into their firm missed by 2 grades, a majority missed by at least 1 (one would assume close to 70%) so you shouldn't be worried!!!
Original post by Aph
40% of people who got into their firm missed by 2 grades, a majority missed by at least 1 (one would assume close to 70%) so you shouldn't be worried!!!

hmmmm well if you're reading this nottingham uni then accept me with lower grades plz
Original post by fefssdf

Yep deffo :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WaywardWriter

im gonna retake stuff or might even change my course entirely lmao
13 days now.....
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest