The Student Room Group

Article: Five things to expect from second year at university

Although it is a while away for most of you, it doesn't hurt to learn about what is coming up.

This article tells you about five things you ought to know when you're going into second year from a student perspective.

Read more by clicking on the link right HERE.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
What do you mean you have to pay utility bills in 2nd yr ??
Original post by PugDevil
Article: Five things to expect from second year at university

Remember that girl you never gathered the courage to approach even though she kept giving you hints all through first year? Yah, that one. She's completely lost interest in you now
Reply 3
Original post by catholicgirl
What do you mean you have to pay utility bills in 2nd yr ??

It depends if you move out of halls; gas, electricity and water etc :smile:

Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Remember that girl you never gathered the courage to approach even though she kept giving you hints all through first year? Yah, that one. She's completely lost interest in you now

Huh? :redface:

Edit: Sorry, took me a while to get what you meant - thought you were talking about me for some reason :lol: Apologies!
(edited 7 years ago)
100% agreed with these points :lol: it is so crazy how second year, and indeed uni seems to go by.

Some things I would add: I think you have to sort out your council tax exemption, not that it's suggested otherwise in the article but it's something to keep in mind.

If you don't get what you wanted in your first year, don't be disheartened. It may slightly affect you depending on what you want to do (or applying for stuff at the start of Year 2 before January exams) but if you use it as a learning curve (and if your first year doesn't count towards your overall grade) then it's nothing that you can't recover from in some way. An example is a mate who got a 2:2 in his first year and while most year-long placements want you to get a 2:1 or above, he had enough experience and interview technique to secure a year with Lloyds Bank.

And also, ideally you want to do as well as you can in the second year but if you fall slightly below expectations, that's not the end of the world either - chances are the last year is weighted a lot more and that's when you really have to be on maximum overdrive in terms of brain gear. Doesn't mean that you have to absolutely sacrifice all kinds of fun - if you're doing that, then you're not using your time wisely enough when studying and that's something you can work on.
Reply 5
Thankfully I'm still living in halls for 2nd year.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
100% agreed with these points :lol: it is so crazy how second year, and indeed uni seems to go by.

Some things I would add: I think you have to sort out your council tax exemption, not that it's suggested otherwise in the article but it's something to keep in mind.

If you don't get what you wanted in your first year, don't be disheartened. It may slightly affect you depending on what you want to do (or applying for stuff at the start of Year 2 before January exams) but if you use it as a learning curve (and if your first year doesn't count towards your overall grade) then it's nothing that you can't recover from in some way. An example is a mate who got a 2:2 in his first year and while most year-long placements want you to get a 2:1 or above, he had enough experience and interview technique to secure a year with Lloyds Bank.

And also, ideally you want to do as well as you can in the second year but if you fall slightly below expectations, that's not the end of the world either - chances are the last year is weighted a lot more and that's when you really have to be on maximum overdrive in terms of brain gear. Doesn't mean that you have to absolutely sacrifice all kinds of fun - if you're doing that, then you're not using your time wisely enough when studying and that's something you can work on.

Really good advice!

I completely agree about using first year as a learning curve. When I first started I thought 'what is the point in first year if it's not worth anything' but I'm so glad it wasn't! It gave me the opportunity to learn how to write an essay to university standard and now I feel I'm comfortable with writing them, as I'm getting Firsts in them :excited:

About the council tax, I also believe that is the case. I'll just have a quick look as to whether I can indicate that in the article a bit better :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest