The Student Room Group

Why are people underrating Leicester again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If Leicester finish 5th Diego Costa may have problems passing through doors next June:smile:
Reply 21
it was lucky. every other team flopped which is rare
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Because they ran insanely hot last year with injuries..

I notice your king pep has spent over £100m this summer and will obviously spend more. City must be NAILED ON to walk the league by +5 points due to Peps brilliance.. right?

Original post by shawn_o1
He's a hammer last I checked :rofl: whoever that pep dicksucker is, i'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet

Literally spat my drink out reading this.
Original post by Diego Costa
Literally spat my drink out reading this.

lol why? What margin are u expecting city to walk the league by given they had the best squad on paper before MAGIC KING PEP signed AND splurged £100-£200m in one window..

They must be nailed on to win the league at a canter?
lol why? What margin are u expecting city to walk the league by given they had the best squad on paper before MAGIC KING PEP signed AND splurged £100-£200m in one window..

They must be nailed on to win the league at a canter?

Why? You were acting like I was a Pep fan boy when I don't like Citeh.

Idc if they win or not and never said they were nailed on to win. I said I expected them to win by 5+ points before Man Utd went after Pogba. I was expecting Man City to get around 90 points, but now I wouldn't be surprised to see Man Utd get around that mark.

I like the way you talk as though Pep is the only manager to spend money when Man Utd will spend nearly £200m and Chelsea and Liverpool have spent £60m+.
Why? You were acting like I was a Pep fan boy when I don't like Citeh.

Idc if they win or not and never said they were nailed on to win. I said I expected them to win by 5+ points before Man Utd went after Pogba. I was expecting Man City to get around 90 points, but now I wouldn't be surprised to see Man Utd get around that mark.

I like the way you talk as though Pep is the only manager to spend money when Man Utd will spend nearly £200m and Chelsea and Liverpool have spent £60m+.

I'm sorry, i thought you were the poster who was lauding over what an amazing manager Pep is..

Whilst i was arguing its all about the quality of players and money a team has.
I'm sorry, i thought you were the poster who was lauding over what an amazing manager Pep is..

Whilst i was arguing its all about the quality of players and money a team has.

I do think Pep is a great manager, yes. I certainly wasn't lauding him and accepted that his career wasn't all outstanding given his lack of a CL at Bayern.

I've no idea what relevance he or Man City have when nobody (including myself) predicted Leicester to place above them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Won't finish top 6 and will be lucky to make top 8. Quote me in May when i'm right.

It's like Liverpool a couple of years ago. They benefitted from a good combination of players in form, no injuries, a good team spirit/winning mentality, no Europe and everyone else being ****.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
It'll be interesting to see how well they do (both in defending their league title and in Europe). They will be disappointed to lose Kanté and their head scout for sure but they've crucially managed to keep hold of Mahrez, Vardy, and Drinkwater (so far).
Chelsea don't have a hope of finishing in top 4, they failed to sign any defenders and as a result their aged, creaking defense will be swiss cheese once again this season.
Original post by Nichrome
Chelsea don't have a hope of finishing in top 4, they failed to sign any defenders and as a result their aged, creaking defense will be swiss cheese once again this season.

Not so sure about that.. im quite up on Chelsea this year.. I would take Chelseas defence on paper over Lpool, Arsenal, Leicester, Citys .. ....
Original post by sr90
Won't finish top 6 and will be lucky to make top 8. Quote me in May when i'm right.

It's like Liverpool a couple of years ago. They benefitted from a good combination of players in form, no injuries, a good team spirit/winning mentality, no Europe and everyone else being ****.

You were saying they wouldn't make the top six last season, while I was the first to credit them as probable winners, so I wouldn't be making bold statements like that.

It isn't at all like Liverpool in 13/14 either as Arsenal, Man City and Everton had their best season in years. It was only Man Utd who flopped. The reason the Scousers ended up dying is because they failed to strengthen their squad or even replace their only world class player who carried them to 84 points. Remember, that season Liverpool had to rely on outscoring teams, as they conceded 50 goals (just three fewer than Hull who finished in 16th).

I don't know for definite as I haven't checked, but I reckon you'll have Spurs to finish above Leicester and all of the factors for why Leicester won't finish in the top eight could be applicable to them.
Reply 32
Watching a lot of their run in games, felt they got fortunate in a number of the 1-0 victories, albeit the did run away with the league.

With less fortune + an injury to mahrez or vardy + other top teams bringing in potentially strong managers you can see why they are not being touted again for likely top 4.

But teams never do as well as billed and if they keep their team fit and get some fortune, maybe the dream is on again :smile:
Reply 33
Half the issue on Chelsea's defence was the terrible midfield combinations. With a 3 of Kante, Matic and Fabregas we have good protection of the defence rather than the snail Matic/Mikel duo we played last season.

Anyway one CB is needed. Not two.
They won the league because the "better teams" all had a bad season-look at United, Spurs, Arsenal, (the latter two who pushed most of the way), and Chelsea and Man City in particular. They can't repeat the trick of winning the league I think we all know that-as to where they'll finish 14-10th imo. Their defence was solid last season, but Ibrahimovic is in town :ahee:-and their defence doesn't have any particular quality it's just well-organised and sturdy-they haven't invested in it since last season-what if they one or two get injured? Judging by the way Lingard waltzed through them last weekend they need bodies there.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
They won the league because the "better teams" all had a bad season-look at United, Spurs, Arsenal, (the latter two who pushed most of the way), and Chelsea and Man City in particular. They can't repeat the trick of winning the league I think we all know that-as to where they'll finish 14-10th imo. Their defence was solid last season, but Ibrahimovic is in town :ahee:-and their defence doesn't have any particular quality it's just well-organised and sturdy-they haven't invested in it since last season-what if they one or two get injured? Judging by the way Lingard waltzed through them last weekend they need bodies there.

Spurs didn't have a bad season by their standards, 70 points is the norm for them. Even supposing they did, they haven't bought anyone better and have the same manager. Arsenal certainly didn't push Leicester all the way, they scrambled into 2nd when Leicester had already won to finish ten points behind. Leicester's "pinball" defence doesn't need that much quality, just to be able to row Z the ball or hit it up field.

Original post by duncan_h
Watching a lot of their run in games, felt they got fortunate in a number of the 1-0 victories, albeit the did run away with the league.

With less fortune + an injury to mahrez or vardy + other top teams bringing in potentially strong managers you can see why they are not being touted again for likely top 4.

But teams never do as well as billed and if they keep their team fit and get some fortune, maybe the dream is on again :smile:

I can see why they're not touted for top four, I'm half expecting them to get there though, People saying they'll finish outside the top eight below the likes of Everton and Southampton who haven't really strengthened seems a bit of an exaggeration.

I don't think Vardy will be as important this year since they have Musa tbf.
Spurs didn't have a bad season by their standards, 70 points is the norm for them. Even supposing they did, they haven't bought anyone better and have the same manager. Arsenal certainly didn't push Leicester all the way, they scrambled into 2nd when Leicester had already won to finish ten points behind. Leicester's "pinball" defence doesn't need that much quality, just to be able to row Z the ball or hit it up field.

I can see why they're not touted for top four, I'm half expecting them to get there though, People saying they'll finish outside the top eight below the likes of Everton and Southampton who haven't really strengthened seems a bit of an exaggeration.

City, Man U, Chelsea, even Liverpool have spent somewhere in the region of £50-150m on players with proven pedigree, Leicester don't have the budget, fan base and calibre to attract top names, yes Ranieri is an alchemist he turns brass to gold but I don't know if he can always do that. They are a commited bunch of players yes, but look at overachievers from previous years: Everton in their 4th place finish, barely scraped the top 12 last season and have pretty much ever since they got into the CL (or at least have performed underwhelmingly). Southampton, Swansea... finishing well above expectation one year mediocre the next three or four. In this world of money and fickleness shown towards managers a clubs fortune can change for the better or worse dramatically. And what's the long term prognosis? Ranieri is mid 60s, Vardy is 29, Wes Morgan, Danny Simpson, Huth, all touching/above 30.
So umm... Yeh... What were you saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is one of those threads that's going to be bumped for the next 9 months isn't it. :tongue:
Original post by sr90
So umm... Yeh... What were you saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I ageee. One game determines an entire season. Even then, Arsenal and Spurs both lost on the opening day and finished second and third.

You haven't countered what I wrote in the above post either.

Quick Reply

Latest