The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KatieAlicexxx
I did it too- f334&5 were the devil. No way I'm getting an A now, keeping my fingers crossed for a B!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've probably done better than what you think you have. Last year I thought I totally messed up f331 but I ended up with a B 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BB8
I was the opposite...I somehow convinced myself the highest I'd get in anything was a B, probably BBCC, and I ended up with four As

This year my guess is AAB, which is one grade below my firm offer... (@ ucl please let me in anyway?) But considering how much my mental health has improved, I probably won't be as far off as last year aha

ah thats good to hear .. it seems you tend to underestimate yourself so I'm sure you'll get AAB or perhaps even AAA ! and yh my estimate is also one below my firm offer so @notts take me plz
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I don't suppose anyone else here is on the WJEC spec ^.^

I am! I did English Literature.
Am I the only one that thinks their specification/marking has gotten a lot harder? I remember during GCSEs WJEC was known for being the "east exam board" and I feel like they're being overly harsh now.
Original post by Elle_w
You've probably done better than what you think you have. Last year I thought I totally messed up f331 but I ended up with a B 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the same with f331. Was so annoyed though as I got high As in f332 and f333 but a low C in F331 got me a British overall
Let's hope and pray I get a B😂
Reply 2324
Original post by fefssdf
ah thats good to hear .. it seems you tend to underestimate yourself so I'm sure you'll get AAB or perhaps even AAA ! and yh my estimate is also one below my firm offer so @notts take me plz

Hopefully yeah.. unfortunately I completely screwed up my history exam, so hopefully UCL look at modules and realise my coursework grade is in line with my offer aha (if they have room to take me), I'll be pretty upset if I miss out on UCL based on one exam tbh

And I hope you get the grades you need! What course are you doing?
Original post by BB8
Hopefully yeah.. unfortunately I completely screwed up my history exam, so hopefully UCL look at modules and realise my coursework grade is in line with my offer aha (if they have room to take me), I'll be pretty upset if I miss out on UCL based on one exam tbh

And I hope you get the grades you need! What course are you doing?

maths... my firm ( notts) want AAA and my insurance ( manc) want A*AB but will accept AAA lmao I'm so screwed cause I'm gonna most likely get a B in english offs
Original post by MessyEffy
I am! I did English Literature.
Am I the only one that thinks their specification/marking has gotten a lot harder? I remember during GCSEs WJEC was known for being the "east exam board" and I feel like they're being overly harsh now.

I didn't do English lit, but the WJEC are so shifty, they purposefully try to catch you out, it's ridiculous :frown:
Original post by fefssdf
hahaha true but I can't help but feel that I'm going to learn the hard way why putting a firm and insurance choice asking for the same grades is a bad idea ... just praying one of them lets me in with lower grades or I'm gonna be picking some random course come results day

Waheey, a Notts buddy. Don't worry, my insurance is higher than my firm. Don't have a clue what I was thinking.
Original post by retardis
Waheey, a Notts buddy. Don't worry, my insurance is higher than my firm. Don't have a clue what I was thinking.

my insurance wants A*AB and my firm wants AAA so it is kinda higher given my insurance wants an A* lmao but someone in my year put their firm as AAB as their insurance as AAA so you're not the only one and oh so you put notts as your firm as well ? what halls do you have cause i have sherwood as my offer and i really can't wait to hopefully move in
Reply 2329
Original post by fefssdf
maths... my firm ( notts) want AAA and my insurance ( manc) want A*AB but will accept AAA lmao I'm so screwed cause I'm gonna most likely get a B in english offs

Aah see I didn't take fm at a level otherwise I might have gone for maths at uni.. I hated maths at GCSE and only took it to A level because I knew I'd find it stupidly easy, but by the end of this year it was pretty much my favourite subject (and I did consider taking a year out and doing fm at one point), and tbh I think I might have a chance at an A*

I'm doing anthropology which looks super interesting but there weren't many courses which taught both social and bio anth (most seem to just do social) - I think once I found them all I had a list of 9 and I chose 5 by ruling out Cambridge (HSPS) and any uni with a standard offer below BBB

UCL (firm) want AAA and insurance (Kent) want ABB (the lowest grades I could honestly see myself getting, so if I end up in clearing I'll be surprised tbh)
Original post by BB8
Aah see I didn't take fm at a level otherwise I might have gone for maths at uni.. I hated maths at GCSE and only took it to A level because I knew I'd find it stupidly easy, but by the end of this year it was pretty much my favourite subject (and I did consider taking a year out and doing fm at one point), and tbh I think I might have a chance at an A*

I'm doing anthropology which looks super interesting but there weren't many courses which taught both social and bio anth (most seem to just do social) - I think once I found them all I had a list of 9 and I chose 5 by ruling out Cambridge (HSPS) and any uni with a standard offer below BBB

UCL (firm) want AAA and insurance (Kent) want ABB (the lowest grades I could honestly see myself getting, so if I end up in clearing I'll be surprised tbh)

I only did further maths AS and got an A by getting exactly 240ums so i was actually ON the boundary and cause my school didn't teach FM I dropped it after AS.... I messed up C3 BIG time but C4 was great so i will get an A but ill be like 6-9 marks off an A* fgs, but I am planning on retaking C3 next year to finally get the A* lmao even though i will be doing a maths degree.... ahhh i really hope you get your A* oh right i see anthropology seems interesting but dont really know much about it... and dont worry kent are very lenient with grades and i doubt you would get lower than AAB... i really hope you get into UCL cause UCL is so much better than kent like no offence ! ah i see yh with maths every uni offers it but lots of them have all these physics modules so it was hard to find a course that looked interesting enough which now means I'm struggling when it comes to finding a suitable clearing backup given I'm certain I'm not getting an A in english and thus will miss my offer yet i have two unis so hopefully one will be nice and let me in anyways
Original post by fefssdf
I'd convinced myself I was getting AAAA but got AAAB and was in a pretty bad mood for the rest of that day ....

Now I've convinced myself I'm getting AAA so anything less I'll be gutted :/

Omg same , that B at AS still hurts me today , really hope I dont get any such disappointment this year
Original post by Serine Soul
Haha I laughed when I saw a D in Unit 1 English Lit
But I was actually in tears of happiness when I saw my Bio, Chem and Maths UMS...

Then I felt depressed for the rest of the day because my mum kept shouting at me for getting good enough grades to apply to Cambridge.

oh god yh my parents are quite chilled like my mum was just like oh a B is still good like NO it isn't like so i think i care more about grades than my parents do tbh but will be very interested to see how they react this time around if i dont get AAA
Original post by future doctor x
Omg same , that B at AS still hurts me today , really hope I dont get any such disappointment this year

yeh and what makes it worse is that I had to carry on the subject I got a B in as further maths was self taught and I NEED AAA for uni so i fear ill get a B overall in that same subject and so it'll screw me over 2 years running ffs. it just seems too perfect if i were to have moved up a grade from AS to A2 as it seems people always get the same grade or worse

I retook the AS exam but it was an absolute disaster in all respects so I'm not expecting to have gained any more ums than last year like maybe 1-3 at best but even that is optimistic meaning unless i got like 6 marks over an A in the A2 paper then bye bye uni
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2334
Original post by fefssdf
I only did further maths AS and got an A by getting exactly 240ums so i was actually ON the boundary and cause my school didn't teach FM I dropped it after AS.... I messed up C3 BIG time but C4 was great so i will get an A but ill be like 6-9 marks off an A* fgs, but I am planning on retaking C3 next year to finally get the A* lmao even though i will be doing a maths degree.... ahhh i really hope you get your A* oh right i see anthropology seems interesting but dont really know much about it... and dont worry kent are very lenient with grades and i doubt you would get lower than AAB... i really hope you get into UCL cause UCL is so much better than kent like no offence ! ah i see yh with maths every uni offers it but lots of them have all these physics modules so it was hard to find a course that looked interesting enough which now means I'm struggling when it comes to finding a suitable clearing backup given I'm certain I'm not getting an A in english and thus will miss my offer yet i have two unis so hopefully one will be nice and let me in anyways

Yeah I'm aware Kent is nowhere near as good! But of the 5 courses I applied to the only 3 I actually really liked were Kent, UCL and Durham.. and of course UCL and Durham both wanted AAA so it was between those two for firm, and Kent was insurance by default

C4 went better than C3 for me as well tbh, although that seems to be a common experience so I'd guess the C4 boundaries will be high (edexcel)

Ah right, I hope you get in then! If you don't you could always take a gap year and reapply, if there's nothing you like in clearing?
Original post by fefssdf
yeh and what makes it worse is that I had to carry on the subject I got a B in as further maths was self taught and I NEED AAA for uni so i fear ill get a B overall in that same subject and so it'll screw me over 2 years running ffs. it just seems too perfect if i were to have moved up a grade from AS to A2 as it seems people always get the same grade or worse

I retook the AS exam but it was an absolute disaster in all respects so I'm not expecting to have gained any more ums than last year like maybe 1-3 at best but even that is optimistic meaning unless i got like 6 marks over an A in the A2 paper then bye bye uni

I completely feel you , I had to carry the subject I got a B in as well , as chemistry is the no1 subject needed for medicine , and after those awful chemistry exams this year thanks to aqa I feel I will get a B overall .. but dont worry u never know , you could move up a grade . Ive seen people move from C's to A's ( but they resat exams from AS to pull that up ) but I was only 2 ums off an A last year in chemistry so my teacher adviced not to resit anything . It hurts as it was only 2 ums that equals one raw mark on one paper on the day of which I was ill :/
Last year I got a U in my biology coursework (8 out of 50 odd marks) so just have a laugh at that if you ever feel down...I certainly did last year!:tongue: so glad I dropped it
Original post by BB8
Yeah I'm aware Kent is nowhere near as good! But of the 5 courses I applied to the only 3 I actually really liked were Kent, UCL and Durham.. and of course UCL and Durham both wanted AAA so it was between those two for firm, and Kent was insurance by default

C4 went better than C3 for me as well tbh, although that seems to be a common experience so I'd guess the C4 boundaries will be high (edexcel)

Ah right, I hope you get in then! If you don't you could always take a gap year and reapply, if there's nothing you like in clearing?

yep that is what I'm going to do cause i look at unis at clearing and nothing really interests me like the only place i could go is york but the course itself in terms of modules looks awful like tonnes of physics and even though the uni is great i can't pick the uni if the course is totally not what i want... i will have to take a gap year and tbh i am considering changing subjects cause i want to go into teaching so it doesnt matter that much like i just need a degree at the end of the day so idk really
Original post by smegsxo
Last year I got a U in my biology coursework (8 out of 50 odd marks) so just have a laugh at that if you ever feel down...I certainly did last year!:tongue: so glad I dropped it

hahah biology is such a joke of an A-level i got a U in the Jan mocks and dropped it and i know of at least 5 people who got an E in AS last year lmao
Original post by fefssdf
hahah biology is such a joke of an A-level i got a U in the Jan mocks and dropped it and i know of at least 5 people who got an E in AS last year lmao

I got a C overall so not bad :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest