The Student Room Group

Black Lives Matter movement 'needed in UK'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36982748

:facepalm:

Activists have voiced hopes that a strong Black Lives Matter movement can be built in Britain following the growth of the campaign in the US.Organiser Joshua Virasami said black people should come together "to achieve justice and equality in Britain".The movement has grown over the past three years in protest at police killings of black people in America.Small-scale protests have been held near Heathrow and in Nottingham on Friday, resulting in some arrests.Protesters purporting to be part of the Black Lives Matter movement obstructed traffic en route to Heathrow Airport, meanwhile in Nottingham some protesters have laid down on tracks in the city centre causing delays to the tram network.
Kindly **** off.

Scroll to see replies

BlackLivesMatter as a movement is a cancer which is only making things worse.
Why don't they just move to one of the many fantastic black majority countries out there? :rolleyes:
I tell you what wasn't needed tho - this thread
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
I tell you what wasn't needed tho - this thread

Yeah I realised quite quickly that there had already been a post concerning this. My apologies.
If that's what people want to get involved with it's their choice and good luck to them. However I do wonder what the point of it will be, other than to highlight the group? For instance if legislation needs changing then shouldn't people just be lobbying the Government/MP's to change any legislation? If it is more about bringing the issues affecting black people in to the forefront of everyday debate should they not have specific policies, like a political party has, identifying areas where the lives of black people can and should be improved?
Reply 6
I mean, we could try and make police officers more accountable for their actions and protest laws such as it being illegal to film police officers, that has come into several countries, and also make it something that everyone can have a bit of a light in especially since there are other ethnic groups that have had a hard time with authority but are really not given press to talk about those issues. But, nah, I feel like I have ready-made fun slogans to shout for this one.
Deport them all to America, then they'll really know what oppression is. This is the UK, black people aren't killed by police officers here. We don't need BLM.
Reply 8
In my opinion the UK isn't racist at all (apart from a very small minority which will sadly always exist.) The recent protests will just do damage to the support for BLM.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Deport them all to America, then they'll really know what oppression is. This is the UK, black people aren't killed by police officers here. We don't need BLM.

The black lives matter movement isn't just about protesting about police brutality, it's a lot more than that, and trust me, the movement is needed here too. We may be a lot more accepting as a country than the US are, but that doesn't mean racism against the black race isn't still happening here. Just read up at some of the ignorant comments made on this post already, for example yours.

I've witnessed my best friend experience racism first hand, and I saw it at my school and college, which is totally inappropriate, and wrong. There are issues that exist here too.

You might not need BLM, because I assume you're white (Due to the fact you seem blind to the issues many people face). But how dare you speak on behalf of all the black people in our country who may have experienced prejudice, and state that "We" don't need the movement. You are not a part of that We.
I can comprehend black people living in the UK or elsewhere showing solidarity with the ones in the United States because police violence in the USA is absolutely appalling, but the protests that occurred this morning are not aiding the cause in my view.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Why cant majority of black youths study and go to Unviersity like: chinese, indians, pakistanis etc instead of joining gangs and comitting crime.
Original post by Gman786
Why cant majority of black youths study and go to Unviersity like: chinese, indians, pakistanis etc instead of joining gangs and comitting crime.

Hahahahahah a lot of black youths do probably go to Uni, you're stereotyping, and it's so pathetic.
Reply 13
Original post by emi.hopkins
Hahahahahah a lot of black youths do probably go to Uni, you're stereotyping, and it's so pathetic.

Well im at UCL studying mechanical engineering. In my course out of 150 people there are 3 black ppl. Rest are white, chinese, indian etc.
Original post by Gman786
Well im at UCL studying mechanical engineering. In my course out of 150 people there are 3 black ppl. Rest are white, chinese, indian etc.

My secondary school had about 7 black people attending out of just over 1000, doesn't mean black children don't go to secondary school, just meant I lived in an area of white majority at the time.

There are plenty of white people that commit crimes and don't go to Uni too, just because your course alone at your uni only has 3 black people, doesn't mean the rest are in gangs ahaha.
Reply 15
Original post by Gman786

That's one isolated example. That's hardly enough to make a generalisation. You should know that. Aren't you supposed to be from UCL?
Greater equality is needed but BLM is not.

They are an absurd bunch of people looking to cause mayhem and disrupt lives.
Why is there a UK branch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Why don't they just move to one of the many fantastic black majority countries out there? :rolleyes:

We don't want them
Reply 19
Original post by drandy76
Why is there a UK branch?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because its summer, people have nothing to do so they start drama.

Who remembers the 2011 London riots?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending