The Student Room Group

When did you realise what career you wanted to pursue?

Personally, I only found out about my career during Year 11 and found it very interesting as it enabled me to play to my strengths and do something quite rewarding.
Decided I wanted to be a research scientist during my first year of university. Only realised what I wanted to research during my second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Decided I wanted to be a research scientist during my first year of university. Only realised what I wanted to research during my second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! What did you want to research?
Original post by hoping4thebest
When did you realise what career you wanted to pursue?

Any day now...
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Any day now...

You haven't decided?
Reply 5
A year ago, when I was in year 11. But I'm not completely sure I want to career that exact career yet. I'm also considering something else.
I was 13-14 when I started aggressively learning about finance/consulting/law/tech

Said I wanted to be a businessperson and inventor when I was 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hoping4thebest
Personally, I only found out about my career during Year 11 and found it very interesting as it enabled me to play to my strengths and do something quite rewarding.

When I was mid-20 I decided I wanted to do Medicine after I graduated. I'm now 22 and still working on it
At the beginning of sixth form (Chem eng).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Summer before starting university. Starting to have doubts about it now though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty much one year ago exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just finished year 12 and still no idea. All I know is that I dont want to be a slave to the system, I am going to get the career that I enjoy doing.
Original post by Princepieman
I was 13-14 when I started aggressively learning about finance/consulting/law/tech

Said I wanted to be a businessperson and inventor when I was 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I didn't even know what finance and consulting were at that age... I knew a bit about accounting, medicine, engineering and law (the typical Asian aspirations) but nothing else
Once I was diagnosed with a chronic illness.
when i was 19 and working as a classroom assistant. a pupil asked me why i was doing the crappy paid job when i was young enough and bright enough to go ahead and be the teacher. he was only 12, and suggested i stopped off at the local college on my way home to get a prospectus. which i did, and went on to complete an access to HE course and a foundation degree. ten years and two children later, education had been paused but i still want to be a teacher and have been accepted for uni next month. i am nervous about being a mature student though and starting all over again. with lots of weird and wonderful thoughts going on in my head. the words from that boy; who i believe went on to do very well, changed my life!!
I'm in my mid 20s and I'm still not settled into a lifetime career. I left school wanting to be an IT worker but the older I've gotten I've lost interest in the heavy going techy stuff. All the money I make now is based around working on computers but I wouldn't call it an IT career. I'm now looking at getting into Personal Training instead and still doing a bit of writing and investing on the side.
year 9
Beginning of year 11 I did work experience in a nursery and I really enjoyed it so I wanted to become an early years teacher. Then this year I did 2 other placements in a nursery and a pre school but realized it wasn't challenging enough so I decided being a primary school teacher would be better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending