The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

He wasn't a striker and his goal record is pretty average.
I think Zlatan is clearly going to be heavily reliant upon the movement around him. His physical decline is going to be inevitable however he hasn't had any serious injuries and he's of the Ronaldo mould when it comes to his lifestyle. Jose seems to be pretty good at managing his player injuries, managed to get a broken Costa to limp through a season, had Terry playing every minute. He'll need managing but hopefully he'll tide us over with a level of quality we can't find elsewhere.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Quite a few of us called Schweinsteiger flopping when he arrived last season. There were a number of concerns he'd be good enough for the PL, and Jose is doing the right thing by trying to get rid of him now, as he has allayed none of those concerns really. Would be a good signing for an italian side where the pace of the league is that bit slower.

Will be interesting to see what Zlatan is like in the PL. Definitely an excellent signing, but at 35 in a few months, he's going to decline soon. He'll have a strong start, but will wear off as the season progresses are my thoughts.

When was the last top striker firing at the age of 35? Is a genuine question as I'm intrigued to hear comparisons.

Totti, Del Piero?

Drogba beasted the Champions League in 2012 aged 34.
Eto'o, who's game is a lot more pace dependent than Zlatan, was still playing for Chelsea up front aged 32.

As stated, in terms of fitness he's akin to Ronaldo, who's still lightning at 31, so I wouldn't be too worried.
Did say Bastian would never be first choice for our Midfield after last year being on holiday every week. The guy is essentially a tourist getting a fat wage for posting instagram pictures saying happy birthday etc.
Reply 2104
Original post by That Bearded Man
Totti, Del Piero?

Drogba beasted the Champions League in 2012 aged 34.
Eto'o, who's game is a lot more pace dependent than Zlatan, was still playing for Chelsea up front aged 32.

As stated, in terms of fitness he's akin to Ronaldo, who's still lightning at 31, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Different leagues. I guess you can also use Di Natale and Klose too.

Drogba was great in the CL and important games but over the course of that season it was completely clear he was not reliable enough to depend on.

Eto'o is a pretty poor excuse, most Chelsea fans consider him unremarkable and we were asking for a striker very badly that season. I think the real question he meant was in the premier league who is firing at that age?

Either way Ibra is free and is on a 1 year contract.
(edited 7 years ago)
Drop Rooney ffs and play Pogba in that 3 man midfield. Ibra Rooney won't work together. Both play too deep.
Will be jokes if we spend 100mill on a guy and don't even bother to utilise him effectively.
Also, quick question for the mandem?

Thoughts on Carrick (as a player overall)?
Frustrating how people don't realise how good he actually was/is.
Original post by Rk2k14

If we did not have Rooney to put up with, I would say Carrick is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Our best midfield is a 3-man: Schneiderlin, Carrick and Pogba. That has everything.

However, we often look slow when Rooney and Carrick play together as Rooney tries to drop deep and be Carrick 2.0.

But yeah, Carrick is the best passer of the ball we've had in the last 20 years, excluding Scholes.
Original post by Rk2k14

Prime Carrick would get into any team in the world right now.

Right now he's as finished as Bastian and needs to get binned though.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Different leagues. I guess you can also use Di Natale and Klose too.

Drogba was great in the CL and important games but over the course of that season it was completely clear he was not reliable enough to depend on.

Eto'o is a pretty poor excuse, most Chelsea fans consider him unremarkable and we were asking for a striker very badly that season. I think the real question he meant was in the premier league who is firing at that age?

Either way Ibra is free and is on a 1 year contract.

Agree with this yeah.

Drogba was also the same age when he was great in the CL as Zlatan was last season for the CL I believe?

I'm genuinely interesed to see how he'll do, but I think he's score 14 league goals, and if he does that and more he'll probably be a successful signing really. Do get the feeling he would be like Drogba in that he'd perform awesome in the CL, but he hasn't even got that opportunity.
@Manchester United@Dirtybit

Actually heard the people try to justify Carrick being **** by saying "He doesn't score goals or assist a lot". Also, apparently he can't tackle.
Not like he was one of the best Volante's in the last 10yrs.
Original post by Rk2k14
@Manchester United@Dirtybit

Actually heard the people try to justify Carrick being **** by saying "He doesn't score goals or assist a lot". Also, apparently he can't tackle.
Not like he was one of the best Volante's in the last 10yrs.

His interceptions and tackles >>>>

Was in some disgusting form this year:

Original post by Dirtybit
His interceptions and tackles >>>>

Was in some disgusting form this year:

DDG, Carrick and RVP destroyed that season.
Original post by Manchester United
If we did not have Rooney to put up with, I would say Carrick is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Our best midfield is a 3-man: Schneiderlin, Carrick and Pogba. That has everything.

However, we often look slow when Rooney and Carrick play together as Rooney tries to drop deep and be Carrick 2.0.

But yeah, Carrick is the best passer of the ball we've had in the last 20 years, excluding Scholes.

Those old Vodafone kits :love:
Original post by Kenan and Kel

That's cute

****ing love Carrick. He's been one of my favourite players since he arrived here. Just a shame he never had a real partner when Scholes got too old/left. It's annoying to read opposition fans say he's not good, due to lack of goals and assists. He's been consistently one of our best performing players since he arrived.
Not been helped as a player by our unwillingness to play him in variant of a midfield 3, post Ronaldo mainly. Its also pretty clear he would have benefited from that even more today than he did at the time.

Carrick doesn't score a load of goals but all made up for by opening the scoring on the 7-1 against Roma. One of the greatest European nights for United imo.
Original post by Fizzel
Not been helped as a player by our unwillingness to play him in variant of a midfield 3, post Ronaldo mainly. Its also pretty clear he would have benefited from that even more today than he did at the time.

Carrick doesn't score a load of goals but all made up for by opening the scoring on the 7-1 against Roma. One of the greatest European nights for United imo.

One of the best games I've ever seen us play. Will never forget that game. Carrick scoring two and Evra scoring with his right foot ffs. Everything was perfect.

Too bad we had so many injuries against Milan. We could have won it that year if we had better luck at the end of the season.
Original post by NathanW18
****ing love Carrick. He's been one of my favourite players since he arrived here. Just a shame he never had a real partner when Scholes got too old/left. It's annoying to read opposition fans say he's not good, due to lack of goals and assists. He's been consistently one of our best performing players since he arrived.

Our own fans critics him for that reason.

Don't see how people can judge a player like Carrick on his goals/assists.

Carrick's the architect of most off our attack but sad truth is no one rates that.

Latest