The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Anniversary scholarships and LMA's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MoRa123
yeah, you're right, So the status doesn't change on LSE4you?

If you meant financial awards, I think no. I haven't checked back in LSE4U
If you meant your student status, I don't know yet. I guess it would change comes the next academic year.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 81
Original post by Blue.neddicky
Me too. I was very disappointed when I received their email, mostly because I feel I was kept in the dark the whole process, and I have waited for almost 5 months, only to receive this piece of bad news. But as Smurf above said, we can defer entry and reapply to financial aid next year.
Perhaps this happens by way of giving us another year to live and learn so as to better prepare ourselves before we dive into the LSE universe.

blue.neddicky

Well said!

I had the exaxt same feeling last year as well. I was gutted once July 31st had passed and I received the enail telling ne that I hadn't been successful at acquiring any funding. Like you guys, I had waited the whole period hoping I'd make the cut in the end.

But its not a one chance saloon.For me it was an opportunity to go and get more extra-curricular experiences outside of uni, grow as a person and then send in a new funding app when the time came. I referred to the fact that I had been unable to take up my offer last year due to lack of funding but had used the year productively.
Hi everyone, I've just found out this group today. Am in the same boat here: waiting to hear back from LSE (which seems extremely unlikely), and won't be able to attend without fin aid.
All I can say is congrats to everyone who had been awarded a scholarship (although your stories make me paranoid), and for all of us who haven't got anything: stay calm and hopeful on this white-knuckle ride.
(Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go burry my head in the sand while I weep.)
Does anyone know when they start awarding the scholarships for undergraduate students?
Original post by reflektor
Does anyone know when they start awarding the scholarships for undergraduate students?

Should be this week! Have you heard of anyone getting any awards yet?
Original post by prepdream
Should be this week! Have you heard of anyone getting any awards yet?

Thanks. I thought it was early August, but couldn't find anything on the website. No, I haven't heard about anyone hearing back. There haven't been any posts about it on the LSE freshers' facebook group.
Thanks. I thought it was early August, but couldn't find anything on the website. No, I haven't heard about anyone hearing back. There haven't been any posts about it on the LSE freshers' facebook group.

Yes, they said that we should have heard by the end of July but there is nothing yet :frown: I hate how they make us wait for a post instead of just sending an email
Yes, they said that we should have heard by the end of July but there is nothing yet :frown: I hate how they make us wait for a post instead of just sending an email

Do we get a letter in the post whatever the outcome?
Reply 88
Do we get a letter in the post whatever the outcome?

Yes, but later on in the month. When I called they said successful applicants should know roughly mid-this week.
Original post by muhreeah
Yes, but later on in the month. When I called they said successful applicants should know roughly mid-this week.

Seems like I didn't get the USS. Did you hear anything?
Reply 90
Seems like I didn't get the USS. Did you hear anything?

Haven't heard anything either. I'm giving it until tomorrow at least. Do you know if anyone on Facebook got anything?
Haven't heard anything either. I'm giving it until tomorrow at least. Do you know if anyone on Facebook got anything?

Nah haven't heard anything. Tried to ask though, no one replied
Has everyone else given up hope?
Has everyone else given up hope?

^Yeah
Reply 94
I just got my rejection letter. Best of luck to the rest of you.

To those among us who are going to try again after a year, what do you intend to do in the interim?
(edited 7 years ago)
I just got my rejection letter. Best of luck to the rest of you.

To those among us who are going to try again after a year, what do you intend to do in the interim?

Ah man so sorry to hear. At least you know the final decision though :/
I don't know, maybe a gap year, or maybe try to apply another uni next year. You?
Reply 96
Ah man so sorry to hear. At least you know the final decision though :/
I don't know, maybe a gap year, or maybe try to apply another uni next year. You?

Thanks friend. Yeah, I'm going to get a job and quit being a pussy and write an SAT and apply for some American schools. It's terrible though, because I've been tailoring myself and my experience to the British specialization system for years. There's no way I'll make enough money working high school graduate salary jobs, but hopefully between that and my parents' work we'll accumulate enough money that LSE will be less tightfisted, and I'll have some reasonable backup schools if not.

I'm not devastated, this was essentially expected, but regardless of how I feel about it it's wrong that it happened. It's wrong that I'm good enough as a rich person but not good enough as a poor person, you know? Gaddafi, Erdogan, and Tymoshenko money is all good and well, but there's no room for the likes of us. LSE started as a night school for the working class. This is the way the world works, and I have already won dozens of lotteries to even have the resources to become LSE-worthy in the first place, but it's unfortunate.
Post and let us know what response you get. There's still hope it's positive for you!

I'm not devastated, this was essentially expected, but regardless of how I feel about it it's wrong that it happened. It's wrong that I'm good enough as a rich person but not good enough as a poor person, you know? Gaddafi, Erdogan, and Tymoshenko money is all good and well, but there's no room for the likes of us. LSE started as a night school for the working class. This is the way the world works, and I have already won dozens of lotteries to even have the resources to become LSE-worthy in the first place, but it's unfortunate.
Post and let us know what response you get. There's still hope it's positive for you!

It's basic supply and demand. LSE is a top school, so competition is naturally high. In order to maintain their world-class status, it's fair for the LSE to charge high fees in order to attract the best professors, resources, relationships etc. I'm sorry, but the LSE brand will not be sustainable if they charged £10k per year for MSc's. It's just the way it is.
Reply 98
Original post by prospective_grad
It's basic supply and demand. LSE is a top school, so competition is naturally high. In order to maintain their world-class status, it's fair for the LSE to charge high fees in order to attract the best professors, resources, relationships etc. I'm sorry, but the LSE brand will not be sustainable if they charged £10k per year for MSc's. It's just the way it is.

For what it's worth, Harvard expects $0 from all students whose parents make less than $65,000, and I think that a lot of Ivy Leagues operate the same way. I've heard LSE master's programs being derided essentially as cash grabs (though I don't know how informed that view was.) I don't know enough about the differences of how UK and US universities are funded to argue thoroughly on the subject, nor am I indignant and demanding that they change the system--it's just unfortunate that they aren't or can't be elevating students beyond their lot in life according to their merit. It's just unfortunate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 99
For what it's worth, Harvard expects $0 from all students whose parents make less than $65,000, and I think that a lot of Ivy Leagues operate the same way. I've heard LSE master's programs being derided essentially as cash grabs (though I don't know how informed that view was.) I don't know enough about the differences of how UK and US universities are funded to argue thoroughly on the subject, nor am I indignant and demanding that they change the system--it's just unfortunate that they aren't or can't be elevating students beyond their lot in life according to their merit. It's just unfortunate.

Well LSE has done this for me on my second try, so it does happen...I am from a low income background (very low income).

I do understand what you are saying and how you feel. I was the same last year, cynical about the whole process of applying to competitive universities, being told I'm good enough to get in but being held back by my lack of resources.

But don't throw the towel in. Come back with an even better funding application for the next courses you choose to apply for. Best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest