The Student Room Group

I don't understand these new qualifications. Help please? :)

Hi there,

So I've decided to go back to school and study in another field but the system has changed since I did my qualifications. *

Structurally, I know the route I need to take and I've managed to get an interview for NQ Applied Sciences (Level 6) but... I have no clue what this is lol or what I will walk away with at the end of it (other than the obvious of being able to take a HNC). The SQA website and Google just feel like they are leading me in circles. Will I get Highers out of taking this course?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sinfonietta
Hi there,

So I've decided to go back to school and study in another field but the system has changed since I did my qualifications. *

Structurally, I know the route I need to take and I've managed to get an interview for NQ Applied Sciences (Level 6) but... I have no clue what this is lol or what I will walk away with at the end of it (other than the obvious of being able to take a HNC). The SQA website and Google just feel like they are leading me in circles. Will I get Highers out of taking this course?

level 6 basically means higher so yes you should gain highers in the sciences you study during your course. I also believe you would be sitting the 2017 SQA exams for those sciences
Thank you for the quick response! Very helpful. :smile:
Hello. I think that the other poster may not be entirely correct with their explanation... It is correct that the level 6 NC applied science course and Scottish highers are both SCQF 6(i.e. they are of the same difficulty/need the same hours of study- this is explained better in the document I have mentioned below.), but you would not be sitting any highers as part of the course. According to http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/38696.htmlassessment for your chosen course 'is a combination of end of Unit tests, end of Unit assessments and practical assignments. Assessment guidance is provided for each Unit. The Assessment Support Packs contain sample assessment materials.' There is more information about the course in the document 'NC Applied Sciences at SCQF level 6' under the heading 'Course Overview and Skills Development Summary' at http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/38696.html I would recommend you also contact the institution that has offered you an interview and ask them about the specifics of how they offer the course. If you don't think that this course is what you are looking for, I know that some colleges offer highers, either individually, or you sign up to study like 4 highers in a year and that is your course. If any of this doesn't make sense, let me know. Hope this helps and good luck with your studies. :smile:
Hi there,So I've decided to go back to school and study in another field but the system has changed since I did my qualifications. *Structurally, I know the route I need to take and I've managed to get an interview for NQ Applied Sciences (Level 6) but... I have no clue what this is lol or what I will walk away with at the end of it (other than the obvious of being able to take a HNC). The SQA website and Google just feel like they are leading me in circles. Will I get Highers out of taking this course?
Original post by Labrador99
Hello. I think that the other poster may not be entirely correct with their explanation... It is correct that the level 6 NC applied science course and Scottish highers are both SCQF 6(i.e. they are of the same difficulty/need the same hours of study- this is explained better in the document I have mentioned below.), but you would not be sitting any highers as part of the course. According to http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/38696.htmlassessment for your chosen course 'is a combination of end of Unit tests, end of Unit assessments and practical assignments. Assessment guidance is provided for each Unit. The Assessment Support Packs contain sample assessment materials.' There is more information about the course in the document 'NC Applied Sciences at SCQF level 6' under the heading 'Course Overview and Skills Development Summary' at http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/38696.html I would recommend you also contact the institution that has offered you an interview and ask them about the specifics of how they offer the course. If you don't think that this course is what you are looking for, I know that some colleges offer highers, either individually, or you sign up to study like 4 highers in a year and that is your course. If any of this doesn't make sense, let me know. Hope this helps and good luck with your studies. :smile:

i went in for this course last year to earn highers to get to uni but instead opted for a pathway level 6 course to study other subjects at higher which the science one doesn't cover. a level 6 applied science course simply means 3 or 4 (usually 3) highers which the person studies over the year. there is end of unit tests and assessments but to gain a level 6 in any science that's listed on that first link you provided you do have to sit an exam.
the course works in the same way my course last year worked ( pathway to HNC/D + degree level 6) where i chose 3 subjects and studied them at higher level. done all end of unit tests and the final exams in may/june.

ill also add that while my local college doesnt provide the level 6 applied science course it does provide the level 5 and these are taught at national 5 level and assesed by interal units and an extral exam

maybe its changed since then but i cant see how someone can gain level 6 in science subjects withough having to do the external exam, if that was the case i wouldnt have needed to sit those exams this year and would be uncondionaly accepted to uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello. Perhaps it depends on what exactly what the college offers...For example, Glasgow Clyde College offer NC Applied Science(level 6) and although you do units from higher chemistry and biology(alongside other units), you do not sit a final examination. They also offer the study of three highers/national 5s as a full time and entirely separate course-I think ChloeBarnes30 may be referring to this. The OP should contact the college that has offered an interview(if they can't get any more information from the website) and ask them to confirm what is involved in the course to ensure that it is what they are looking for. Hopefully this clarifies matters. :smile:
Original post by ChloeBarnes30
i went in for this course last year to earn highers to get to uni but instead opted for a pathway level 6 course to study other subjects at higher which the science one doesn't cover. a level 6 applied science course simply means 3 or 4 (usually 3) highers which the person studies over the year. there is end of unit tests and assessments but to gain a level 6 in any science that's listed on that first link you provided you do have to sit an exam.the course works in the same way my course last year worked ( pathway to HNC/D + degree level 6) where i chose 3 subjects and studied them at higher level. done all end of unit tests and the final exams in may/june. ill also add that while my local college doesnt provide the level 6 applied science course it does provide the level 5 and these are taught at national 5 level and assesed by interal units and an extral exammaybe its changed since then but i cant see how someone can gain level 6 in science subjects withough having to do the external exam, if that was the case i wouldnt have needed to sit those exams this year and would be uncondionaly accepted to uni.
Thank you for the information. :smile:

I was more just trying to get ahead on the idea to try to work out my plans. e.g. if I get in this year and can earn Highers doing this then I won't need to take a night class in a science next year. :tongue:
Well, I went in today and ended up being interviewed for the HNC instead! Plus I now have an interview for the same course at another college next week. Fingers crossed. :smile:**
Well, I went in today and ended up being interviewed for the HNC instead! Plus I now have an interview for the same course at another college next week. Fingers crossed. :smile:**
That's great news- congratulations! Good luck with your other interview next week and let us know how it goes! :smile:
It took applying to four different colleges but I'm officially starting college next week at HNC level. :biggrin:*
It took applying to four different colleges but I'm officially starting college next week at HNC level. :biggrin:*
Well done! Glad it all worked out for you in the end :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
Well done! Glad it all worked out for you in the end :smile:

Thank you! I'm so happy. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending