The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
And I thought DNA earrings were bad...

Sock monkeys will soon be added to the list too hopefully. Wearing that t-shirt it'd really be something
Original post by Student403
you'd be surprised

zac is quite the punk

I bet he's got more piercings than me. One on his belly button too

Original post by Zacken

That's epic. :lol:

*winces* the worst are at Indian weddings when the girls have those massive dangly earrings, I dunno how you deal

I had to wear one quite recently and they're so big and shiny they attract my baby brother who tries to pull them off my ears...

Original post by EnglishMuon
Sock monkeys will soon be added to the list too hopefully. Wearing that t-shirt it'd really be something

That'd be quite cool! I could actually print that on some fabric and make a little T shirt for the monkey...additional cost of a £1 thanks

That'd be quite cool! I could actually print that on some fabric and make a little T shirt for the monkey...additional cost of a £1 thanks

Original post by jneill
The number of applicants isn't controlled by Cambridge. Cambridge controls acceptances not applications. It's up to the comprehensives to encourage their pupils to apply. And the Outreach program has seen improvements in application rates over time.

But yes, there's still quite a way to go.

Edit: just to add, and I don't know how many comprehensives have 6th Forms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, I completely agree with you and yet you disagree with my point, no idea what's going on. My point was that one has a very low chance of getting into Cambridge if they are from a comprehensive school. What you are saying doesn't dispute this fact, and yet you are arguing against it.
Original post by EnglishMuon

I'll see how I feel after results day :tongue:
Original post by Insight314
Again, I completely agree with you and yet you disagree with my point, no idea what's going on. My point was that one has a very low chance of getting into Cambridge if they are from a comprehensive school. What you are saying doesn't dispute this fact, and yet you are arguing against it.

We are agreeing, but my point is they definitely have a chance tending to zero if they don't apply in the first place... if comprehensive pupils applied they have as good chance as anyone else (and possibly a better chance due to contextual flags as you have noted).

In other words if they are from a comprehensive school and if they apply; they have a reasonable chance.
Original post by physicsmaths
No **** sherlock haha. They didnt give u the choice to apply cause ur like 12 years old.
Btw my earlier comment of 'I will let you figure the mystery out' was a joke lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but what I meant was that even if I was older and in sixth form, they would still not give me the choice since in my school no one in my school knows how Oxbridge admissions works, and students are not usually pushed to get into Oxbridge but enough to pass their A-levels. Heck, most sixth-form students are BTECs in my school lmao.
Original post by jneill
We are agreeing, but my point is they definitely have a chance tending to zero if they don't apply in the first place... if comprehensive pupils applied they have as good chance as anyone else (and possibly a better chance due to contextual flags as you have noted).

In other words if they are from a comprehensive school and if they apply; they have a reasonable chance.

Yes, but as you noted earlier (or at least, I pointed it out) it is quite unlikely for a person from a comprehensive school to apply to Oxbridge since they do not have the proper guidance by their school as to how Oxbridge admission works.

Now I understand what your point is, that is, comprehensive school students do not have a low chance of getting into Oxbridge as long as they apply in the first place (which, as you said before, is being reinforced by Outreach programs). However, even if by some way (TSR or whatever) get taught the admission process in the first place (without school help), are they not still significantly disadvantaged compared to applicants from selective schools where they receive significantly more help with personal statements, references so their application looks much better, and they are also given mock interviews?
Original post by Student403
Clearly an Oxford question

What do you mean by... clearly an Oxford question?!
Original post by BioOx

It doesn't make sense, like a lot of what comes out of Oxford
Original post by BioOx

They are easy and boring. QED

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, but as you noted earlier (or at least, I pointed it out) it is quite unlikely for a person from a comprehensive school to apply to Oxbridge since they do not have the proper guidance by their school as to how Oxbridge admission works.

Now I understand what your point is, that is, comprehensive school students do not have a low chance of getting into Oxbridge as long as they apply in the first place (which, as you said before, is being reinforced by Outreach programs). However, even if by some way (TSR or whatever) get taught the admission process in the first place (without school help), are they not still significantly disadvantaged compared to applicants from selective schools where they receive significantly more help with personal statements, references so their application looks much better, and they are also given mock interviews?

M8 **** comprehensive and share with us your holiday, prom , Bulgarian yoghurt story's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duke Glacia
M8 **** comprehensive and share with us your holiday, prom , Bulgarian yoghurt story's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Prom was good, what do you want to know? Don't know about any Bulgarian yogurt stories m8. As for a holiday, I've been doing maths and hanging out with my gf.
Prom was good, what do you want to know? Don't know about any Bulgarian yogurt stories m8. As for a holiday, I've been doing maths and hanging out with my gf.

Nothing just wanted to keep your heads cool, but I can say one thing. If the person is determined to get onto Oxbridge then there plenty of resources for him and there won't be much difference whether he goes to a comprehensive or grammar school. Altho teaching quality may matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Duke Glacia
Nothing just wanted to keep your heads cool, but I can say one thing. If the person is determined to get onto Oxbridge then there plenty of resources for him and there won't be much difference whether he goes to a comprehensive or grammar school. Altho teaching quality may matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess you are right but quite a few very bright students do not get to choose Oxbridge as their choice since they are too 'scared' of the admissions process.
Anyone else have an idea what they will do if they miss their Cambridge offer on 18th August? I am lost. No idea what I would do if that were to happen. Definitely not taking my insurance choice though (Warwick), gonna re-apply to Cambridge but no idea what I would do all year (continue self-studying part IA for sure).
Anyone else have an idea what they will do if they miss their Cambridge offer on 18th August? I am lost. No idea what I would do if that were to happen. Definitely not taking my insurance choice though (Warwick), gonna re-apply to Cambridge but no idea what I would do all year (continue self-studying part IA for sure).

Re read the advice I got after making this thread and start looking for bidders

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3727751

I'll have to lose quite a bit of weight first, as the photos I took today kindly reminded me
Re read the advice I got after making this thread and start looking for bidders

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3727751

I'll have to lose quite a bit of weight first, as the photos I took today kindly reminded me

Haha :rofl:

I am not a virgin though :K:

It's a valuable asset to keep (for a girl)

Just clocked, what are you gunna do for freshers, fake ID?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest