The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Heya, my end of year exam is coming up and I'm doing higher and I'm getting D's I'm currently in year 10 and I know I can do better if I revise. Is anyone else willing to help me with a few questions ?

In year 11 now.
Grade achieved end of year : C
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I will @z_o_e
Reply 3
Original post by z_o_e
Heya, my end of year exam is coming up and I'm doing higher and I'm getting D's I'm currently in year 10 and I know I can do better if I revise. Is anyone else willing to help me with a few questions ?

Best advice i could give DO PAST PAPERS its the best way to get better a maths. Any topics you dont get use sites like mathswatch.
Looks like that is 1/16p
Reply 5
Original post by z_o_e

What don't you understand? I will explain it to you and give you the answers.
Reply 6
Watch youtube videos on whatever topic it is and make notes on it (basically make sure you understand it) and do heaps of past papers - that's what I did :smile: Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I will @z_o_e

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's because 2p to the power of 4 is 16p but when there's a negative power, you do 1 over the value (1/x).
I have listed quite a lot, you don't have to do all. Hope this helps :smile: (these tips were based on Year 9 exam and what I did to get the grades I wanted):

Be persistent.

Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.

Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!

Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.

If you're struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...

Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.

Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.

I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.

On that note, get LOTS of sleep.

Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.

Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click here to do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are

BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it (like it did for me ).

Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
It's because 2p to the power of 4 is 16p but when there's a negative power, you do 1 over the value (1/x).

Yayoo.
How would I do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Can someone help me on this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will @z_o_e

Original post by z_o_e

The answer to your first question is 1/16 pto the power of 4. Yet again, Jamie Vardy is all talkl i would advise you to stay away from him as he clearly has no knowledge himself and treats c students and below with disdain.
Reply 14
Original post by 1jonam16
The answer to your first question is 1/16 pto the power of 4. Yet again, Jamie Vardy is all talkl i would advise you to stay away from him as he clearly has no knowledge himself and treats c students and below with disdain.

Sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Yayoo.
How would I do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

l'll try to teach you. If there's a negative you need to do the reciprocal. So if its (2p) to the power of -4 you need to do 1/(2p to the power of four). Note: the power applies to both the p and the 2 so you have to do 2 to the power of 4 and p to the power of 4. this gives you 1/(16p^4). Try and do the other questions yourself and i'll check.

I don't know if you know him well, but on these threads he constantly slates people who can't achieve above a C grade in subjects. Hence, I've developed somewhat of a hatred for his online persona, which clearly is desperate for attention. Now the answer is 1/16p^4. NOT 1/16p. Please ignore him.
Reply 17
l'll try to teach you. If there's a negative you need to do the reciprocal. So if its (2p) to the power of -4 you need to do 1/(2p to the power of four). Note: the power applies to both the p and the 2 so you have to do 2 to the power of 4 and p to the power of 4. this gives you 1/(16p^4). Try and do the other questions yourself and i'll check.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I don't know if you know him well, but on these threads he constantly slates people who can't achieve above a C grade in subjects. Hence, I've developed somewhat of a hatred for his online persona, which clearly is desperate for attention. Now the answer is 1/16p^4. NOT 1/16p. Please ignore him.

Can you help me on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Can you help me on this please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest