The Student Room Group

Failed a first year module 3 times and now I have been removed from my course.

Hi
I was an Aston university student studying Business management, I failed three modules in first year I was allowed to continue onto second year while trailing two modules out of three as I passed the one of the modules in summer l. I passed the second module but failed the third and achieved a 2:2 in second year. My university have decided to remove me from my course and I don't know what to do. I tried to appeal it but they still removed me and I've been told by three universites that I can't transfer as I didn't leave 1st year with a 2:1. I don't know what I am gonna do as I really need my degree. Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sparkle Brooke
Hi
I was an Aston university student studying Business management, I failed three modules in first year I was allowed to continue onto second year while trailing two modules out of three as I passed the one of the modules in summer l. I passed the second module but failed the third and achieved a 2:2 in second year. My university have decided to remove me from my course and I don't know what to do. I tried to appeal it but they still removed me and I've been told by three universites that I can't transfer as I didn't leave 1st year with a 2:1. I don't know what I am gonna do as I really need my degree. Can anyone help?

I understood 1st year marks didn't count towards the final degree? I can't advise you, but I'm sure someone will. Sorry it's gone wrong for you.
Reply 2
I think you still got to pass it. They don't let you outright fail modules easily(its not profitable) I wonder how OP got in this mess.
Original post by Seamus123
I understood 1st year marks didn't count towards the final degree? I can't advise you, but I'm sure someone will. Sorry it's gone wrong for you.

They don't but I need the full credits to gain the full degree, I left A levels with 3 As and also have really good GCSE, I dunno how I allowed myself to fail one module :frown:. But im going to appeal again.
Thanks for the kind words
The trailing modules are added to the progression requirements for the next stage and as you haven't passed them you haven't met the progression requirements.
Original post by INTit
I think you still got to pass it. They don't let you outright fail modules easily(its not profitable) I wonder how OP got in this mess.

A member of my immediate family went into hospital after having an asthma attack a month before my exams, I was really conserned. And didn't focus that hard on the module
I understand, it just sucks that it's all over one module, and I don't even know if I'll be able to get into another Uni
Original post by magratgarlick
The trailing modules are added to the progression requirements for the next stage and as you haven't passed them you haven't met the progression requirements.
OP I posted on your profile
A member of my immediate family went into hospital after having an asthma attack a month before my exams, I was really conserned. And didn't focus that hard on the module

Have you put in an appeal, talked to your tutor and the SU?
You could have put a mitigating circs claim in beforehand.

You have to get someone to look at the rules to see what the scope for appealing is. Not sure if an asthma attack is going to cut it. Go and see someone.
Hi
Thanks for the reply, you've honestly made me feel so much better, I've emailed Middlesex and I'm going to email DMU and NTU.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Hi

Why do you really need a degree?
Original post by 999tigger
Have you put in an appeal, talked to your tutor and the SU?
You could have put a mitigating circs claim in beforehand.

You have to get someone to look at the rules to see what the scope for appealing is. Not sure if an asthma attack is going to cut it. Go and see someone.

I've tried appealing before hand, and this will be my second appeal. The attack was quite server and she was in hospital for 2 weeks. But I don't know. Hopefully I can transfer or restart from the beginning.
I've tried appealing before hand, and this will be my second appeal. The attack was quite server and she was in hospital for 2 weeks. But I don't know. Hopefully I can transfer or restart from the beginning.

You need to speak to someone who knows your procedures and can represent your interests properly. You also need to know what you want or are prepared to accept? Maybe a complete retake rather than resit of the midle.

You then have a problem with funding.
You need to speak to someone who knows your procedures and can represent your interests properly. You also need to know what you want or are prepared to accept? Maybe a complete retake rather than resit of the midle.

You then have a problem with funding.

Yeah, I know I've suggested that in my second appeal. Student finance have accepted my exceptional circumstances and will be funding my full course, I just need a University to attend
Yeah, I know I've suggested that in my second appeal. Student finance have accepted my exceptional circumstances and will be funding my full course, I just need a University to attend

Do you know for ceratin from sfe that they have accepted it? Those claims are normally done through the uni. How have you managed to fail it 3 times? is it hard?
Reply 15
Oh please...I have been kicked out of two universities (kent and queen mary) for cheating in exams and plagarism. The course was dull and boring af. I was suicidal and felt like killing myself during the first few weeks. After a month or so I got my 6th form to write me a personal statement and i applied again on ucas. Everyone was like you wont get into an university ever again. I got all 5 offers. I got into imperial for geophysics after interview and UCL for mech engineering. Im now at UCL going into my second year.
Original post by Gman786
Oh please...I have been kicked out of two universities (kent and queen mary) for cheating in exams and plagarism. The course was dull and boring af. I was suicidal and felt like killing myself during the first few weeks. After a month or so I got my 6th form to write me a personal statement and i applied again on ucas. Everyone was like you wont get into an university ever again. I got all 5 offers. I got into imperial for geophysics after interview and UCL for mech engineering. Im now at UCL going into my second year.

Yo, that's amazing, I've paid for UCAS again, so I'm going through clearing again. I hope I am as lucky as you :smile:
Do you know for ceratin from sfe that they have accepted it? Those claims are normally done through the uni. How have you managed to fail it 3 times? is it hard?

I know it was accepted because I received an email from sfe on Monday confirming it, and yes it's quite difficult
Hi

How about reapplying for the 2016-2017 entry, I am sure you can pick up the same course in clearing?
Original post by TeddyBear86
How about reapplying for the 2016-2017 entry, I am sure you can pick up the same course in clearing?

Hey, I'm doing both I'm applying through clearing and trying to appeal. Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending