The Student Room Group

BLM protestors block entry to Heathrow and Birmingham airports

Scroll to see replies

Intelligence is overrated anyway.
Okay a lot of TSR users seem confused. The reason for the protests is against the constant stop and searches of black men in London, the dispropropriate number of deaths in custody of black people and unemployment. Also it was 5 years anniversary of Mark Duggan.
HOWEVER, I think the protest devalues the whole BLM movement and is just reducing it to an inconvenient protest and movement. This is what is wrong with our generation, a lot of our movements and protests are just stupid and meaningless. I swear if they do this when I go away I'm going to be irate. :angry:
Reply 142
What are they doing? England is like the most tolerant country in the world, they need to stop and I'm saying this a brown person
Original post by slaven
As a non-Brit who is relativnly familiar with UK history I can tell the contributions of black slaves, immigrants and minorities to British development is 0. Back than in the glorious revolution the black did do nothing, or in the world wars which was fought by indigenous ethnic Englisman.

And most blacks in UK are descendant of immigrants so they cannot play on the slavery card. If they do not like UK they can go back from which they came.

Wow. I'm very shocked by your statement. You do realise a lot of British wealth and other European countries came from the slave trade through the sugar cane/beet plantations etc.? Commonwealth countries including the West Indies such as Jamaica and Barbados and even African countries fought along with the allied troops during WW2.
Black Brits include Afro-Caribbean people who would have had ancestors in the slave trade. Hence why a lot of Black Britons have English or European sounding surnames. They're descendants were of the Windrush generation who came to the UK with skills needed in post-WW2 Britain.
It such a shame more people weren't aware of this.
Original post by 1010marina
Yes, black people were treated badly in the past. Get over yourself. I'm no more a slave owner than you are a slave.

Equality and racism are problems that need to be dealt with but this protest is ugly and disruptive. It's despicable, not admirable.

Stopping hardworking people (who might be white, black, Asian, whatever) going about their daily lives is stupid and disrespectful. How many people do you think were late to work, lost their jobs, missed their job interviews, missed a family holiday, were late to pick their kids up from school, etc. This "protest" achieved nothing except disruption and smearing the name of the BLM movement. I will never support an organisation that uses such ridiculous techniques. Lying down on roads and tram tracks to disrupt commuter traffic is selfish. Anybody affected is going to be annoyed, not wanting to spread the message and help the cause.

Honestly, if you go picket signing in a planned event that's non-disruptive them I'm happy to join you. But I can't take this farce seriously. I really support the aim, but I can't support the methods.

Its not "black people were treated badly in the past", black people are still being treated badly today.

According to society, we are apparently still slaves, thats ugly, thats despicable.

Still inequality exists and that fact is Yes, the protest was selfish to others wishing to go on their way, but if thats whats needed for people to listen, then so be it. Thats awareness for you. Its a response and the Black community have been waiting a very long time for it.

So yes, traffic was blocked to raise awareness for dead people and inequality.

However. It seems protests now days are getting dirty and its this generation
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kurosaki_Ichi
Its not "black people were treated badly in the past", black people are still being treated badly today.

According to society, we are apparently still slaves, thats ugly, thats despicable.

Still inequality exists and that fact is Yes, the protest was selfish to others wishing to go on their way, but if thats whats needed for people to listen, then so be it. Thats awareness for you. Its a response and the Black community have been waiting a very long time for it.

You are not a slave. And even saying so disrespects people who have genuinely suffered that kind of abuse.

Yes, inequality exists and needs to be tackled. This is a terrible way to do it. People are not listening to the message they're ridiculing and hating on the movement. BLM have lost my respect today.

Honestly, I support black rights and any human rights movements but I cannot support this.

If you really want change, go out and become a police officer, go into politics, hand out leaflets in the streets, set up a charity, get some more kids into education. There are better ways to earn respect than ruining people's day.
Reply 146
Do you know what I hate most? The so called reason for the UK riots of 2011 was because the police shot Mark Duggan, it was confirmed he had a gun on him making him a criminal but because of his death innocent people were killed, buildings and livelihood's ruined by hooligans and £millions of stolen stuff all fueled by the black gang culture of this country (although all races took part, it was organised by black gangs), they now have the nerve to call for a Black Lives Matter protest in his name, If the police were so unjust they wouldn't have wasted their time protecting them during their road blocks today, they would've let them get hit by cars and not charged the drivers.

The UK police are excellent, not perfect but they're not systematically flawed, same goes with our justice system and our education system. I understand this isn't the case in America which is why BLM in America serves a purpose but in the U.K. It has no cause, it has no roots, it serves no purpose. This is just another case of people bringing American issues here and playing the victim. Excuse me if I sound a little offensive I honestly haven't intended to, I'm angered that we have such great systems in the UK and instead of the black people going through these systems (we've seen VERY little of it) they've decided to bring a controversial campaign to the UK (Controversial not because of its cause but because of its actions during certain events)
Reply 147

If you really believe that you are opressed in the west or UK why not be proud and move from the society that discriminates? Go to Africa where you can finally be free and live as a real human. There is certainly better countries out there than the UK. I mean I hate deeply Saudi Arabia and I will never ever wanted to settle there regardless of their wealth.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 148
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Wow. I'm very shocked by your statement. You do realise a lot of British wealth and other European countries came from the slave trade through the sugar cane/beet plantations etc.? Commonwealth countries including the West Indies such as Jamaica and Barbados and even African countries fought along with the allied troops during WW2.
Black Brits include Afro-Caribbean people who would have had ancestors in the slave trade. Hence why a lot of Black Britons have English or European sounding surnames. They're descendants were of the Windrush generation who came to the UK with skills needed in post-WW2 Britain.
It such a shame more people weren't aware of this.

No, the european wealth comes from the inovations of Europe and good strategic investment from back than. Cheap Labour is not included there. Even without the slves or immigrants there would be plenty of labour that could easily replace them. Also, how many money did british tax payers invested in the development of Barbados and Jamaica, and in the education of their population (something that is rarely spoken)? There were number of Jamaican and Barbadian conscript in the British army and the vast weight was on the shoulders of indigenous ethnic english working class. Again, the Windrush generation not skills they were cheap labour and paid for that. So, no Britain owe them nothing. Quite the opposite they owe Britain a lot.
Morons. Complete and utter oxygen thieves.
Why do protest movements feel the need to be a pain in the arse to the general public? That sounds like a poor way to improve their standing in public opinion.
Original post by slaven
If you really believe that you are opressed in the west or UK why not be proud and move from the society that discriminates? Go to Africa where you can finally be free and live as a real human. There is certainly better countries out there than the UK. I mean I hate deeply Saudi Arabia and I will never ever wanted to settle there regardless of their wealth.

Because i was born here, as well as my family...and its 2016. Oh wow :

"Go to Africa where you can finally be free and live as a real human"

You really do need help and a history lesson...but more help. You are a stupid person and i do not argue with stupid people. So look up on Black history, Colonisation, Black skin characteristics, Ancient Egypt. Etc.

Oh, and just know that this Black person will live a better life than you in every way possible "in your country".

Good day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 152
Because i was born here, as well as my family...and its 2016. Oh wow :

"Go to Africa where you can finally be free and live as a real human"

You really do need help and a history lesson...but more help. You are a stupid person and i do not argue with stupid people. So look up on Black history, Colonisation, Black skin characteristics, Ancient Egypt. Etc.

Oh, and just know that this Black person will live a better life than you in every way possible. Good day.

And when your grandparents moved to the UK they were not born there but still did not prevented them to go there. Since there was no problem for them, I doubt you will have the same issue if you moved out from the "opressing" society. And you are a buthurt ******* with a victims complexation. Stop with this molesting people than you will not receive negative response. And Ancient Egypt????? Is this one of this WE WUZ KANGS crap??
Should just run them over...
Reply 154
Original post by Ladbants
This is pure racism. You're literally saying that blacks are not as clever as whites. You've said slightly offensive, right-wing things in the past but this is actual racist white-supremacist rhetoric.

Well some people believe it as a matter of fact unless there is evidence to the contrary.
Reply 155

The traffic was used to raise awareness for a criminal who's death led to an uprising fuelled and organised by black gang culture that led to innocent deaths as well as damages and destruction to buildings, cars and public services/property not to mention the amount of stuff that was looted and the amount of lives they ruined who still bare suffering today.

The black community has been waiting for what exactly? I've been waiting for them to voice their opinions through the systems of the UK that welcome them, this isn't America and this isn't 1945. This is Great Britain and it's 2016, we have the most honourable justice system in the world, we have the best police force in the world, we have a democracy where an MP can voice your opinion in parliament but we also have a government (along with the past few previous governments) committed to reducing ethnic inequality and it's working. The fact that this protest had no cause is pathetic and is why people find BLM controversial. Not becuase of its cause but because of its actions, please go through the system before supporting a controversial and a campaign that's unnecessary in our country, I'd rather see a protest for harambe than a criminal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nothing is weirder than a "**** the establishment" style protest from a bunch of people who were clearly manipulated by a selective, agenda driven media.
Original post by slaven
No, the european wealth comes from the inovations of Europe and good strategic investment from back than. Cheap Labour is not included there. Even without the slves or immigrants there would be plenty of labour that could easily replace them. Also, how many money did british tax payers invested in the development of Barbados and Jamaica, and in the education of their population (something that is rarely spoken)? There were number of Jamaican and Barbadian conscript in the British army and the vast weight was on the shoulders of indigenous ethnic english working class. Again, the Windrush generation not skills they were cheap labour and paid for that. So, no Britain owe them nothing. Quite the opposite they owe Britain a lot.

I never said they owe them anything. You reap what you sow. After the slave trade ended it was the slave masters and the British who received reparations in millions whilst the slaves received nothing in terms of money btw. I don't think Britain would be what it is without something as large as the transatlantic slave trade (as well as worldwide colonisation). I'm aware there were Irish indentured servants but the Africans were better adapted to the climate and guess would be better slaves. However, my point was that black generations have contributed to Britain and Europe including WW2. It's just not as documented.
Original post by Mathemagicien
To pressure the government, not people. The government listens to identity politics protests, even if they turn people against their causes.

The people certainly felt the pressure today. How many real people's lives were affected by this "protest"… it's a disgrace. I hope the people arrested get charged and locked up for a damn long time. You can't go around causing mayhem, whatever your justification. It's not fair. Just makes you a selfish jerk.

Should've used tear gas
Reply 159
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I never said they owe them anything. You reap what you sow. After the slave trade ended it was the slave masters and the British who received reparations in millions whilst the slaves received nothing in terms of money btw. I don't think Britain would be what it is without something as large as the transatlantic slave trade (as well as worldwide colonisation). I'm aware there were Irish indentured servants but the Africans were better adapted to the climate and guess would be better slaves. However, my point was that black generations have contributed to Britain and Europe including WW2. It's just not as documented.

Slave masters received reparation only? But what about all the money British tax payers send to the Carribean hellholes? That is not reparation? And they were not even paying taxes to the UK. And no, to Europe black contributed nothing. Some Mbeki from Ghana certainly did not contributed to Hungary, Poland or Croatia. Their contribution is 0 or minimal. Britain more owes to the Irish people especially they genocided them. The Irish had much worse than blacks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending