The Student Room Group

Get your personal statement reviewed by a TSR PS reviewer before you submit

Please read this first:

* To submit your personal statement for review, please fill in this form *

Once this is done, you should find a thread with your username on it in this private forum. There it will be picked up by one of our Personal Statement Reviewers.

Who runs this service?

The Personal statement helper team is made up of DBS-checked community members and TSR Volunteers who use their expertise in their subject areas to review personal statements. The service is led completely by TSR Volunteers, with the support of TSR Community Staff.

What does the personal statement review service offer to students?

This is a peer-run service managed by TSR Volunteers who have both considerable experience of reviewing personal statements and have been through the university application process themselves.

Previously the volunteers ran The Student Room's PS Help service between 2005 and 2012 completing over 10,000 personal statement reviews.

TSR members submit their final UCAS personal statement draft confidentially into a private forum where only PS reviewers can view the content.

All PS reviewers have undergone a DBS check and can be trusted to keep your information safe

Service users are provided with an overall review highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of their PS. Including feedback on the content and structure of their personal statement.

Your personal statement will not be rewritten for you and you are expected to have checked the spelling and grammar before submitting.

What can you expect from the service

1. What we do:
We are a UCAS targeted service. We therefore guarantee reviews for all UCAS undergraduate submissions. We may not be able to help with postgrad applications or applications to universities outside the UK. However, there may be a reviewer willing to read your PS and provide general feedback so get in touch if you need help with non-UCAS statements.

Please note: We are only able to do one review so please make sure you only submit your final draft. Additional drafts and questions may be responded to at the discretion of the reviewer.

We will not remove or delete your PS after it has been posted. PS Help is already a private forum, and the safest place for your statement to be. Not deleting threads allows us to maintain an audit trail of who has posted what, useful in ensuring that users do not cheat the system and get multiple reviews (e.g. through making multiple user accounts) and in case of any questions regarding plagiarism of a PS.

2. What we don't do:
We are not a PS writing service and will not rewrite your statement. We can only work with what you’ve given us.

Please remember that we are a free and impartial service with a very long history of giving people useful feedback. Teachers, parents, careers advisors may tell you different things - but at the end of the day this is your PS and you have control over what advice you listen to. All we ask is that you don't submit to us expecting to only hear positive feedback.

3. What you need to do before you submit a statement:
Have a go at our PS Builder tool https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/basic_information

Make sure your PS meets our character count requirement of between 3500-4250 characters.

Proof read your work and make sure you get other people like teachers and friends to read it as well. Please only submit your final draft to us for review.

Please do not post your statement anywhere else on TSR or the internet.

Please include all the information asked of you, including which course(s) you are applying to at which institution(s).

4. What will happen to your statement including turnaround times:
If your submission is missing any of the requested details then you will be asked to provide these before a review can be given. Our guarantee on reviewing your PS is dependent on you filling in the required information.

Outside of peak times, we aim to acknowledge your thread within 24 hours and review your statement within 10 working days. Please inform us if your deadline is less than 10 working days from your time of submission to the TSR PS review service. We will do our best to accommodate you but we will not guarantee that you will receive a review.

Please keep all comments or questions in your thread and do not attempt to bump your thread. We will get to you as soon as we can and attempts to get around our system may result in your statement not receiving a review.

5. What happens if there's a problem and who you should contact
Our reviewers are very experienced and are doing this in their own time so please bear with them. If you feel that a reviewer has behaved in an inappropriate manner please do not engage in an argument with them. Instead bring your thread to the attention of the TSR Community Staff by posting here and they will attempt to resolve the situation.

Rudeness and attempts to circumvent our system including the use of dupe accounts will be viewed very seriously and may result in you not receiving a review.

How to become a PS Reviewer
We’re always looking for enthusiastic volunteers and are glad that you’re interested! As reviewers we find this role both rewarding and informative.

You must be at least at university to become a PS reviewer. Please make a thread in ‘Ask a CT’ from your university network so that we can verify this. We may also ask you to email the office from a university email account. If you have graduated we may ask for another form of proof that you have been to university.
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Post any questions you have about the PS review service here :h:
Original post by She-Ra
Post any questions you have about the PS review service here :h:

Is it completely safe to upload it? I mean - it wouldn't mean that it's on the internet so when there are plagiarism checks it would not show up as copied? Does that make sense?
Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd
Is it completely safe to upload it? I mean - it wouldn't mean that it's on the internet so when there are plagiarism checks it would not show up as copied? Does that make sense?

You'd upload them on a private forum so it won't be flagged up.
Original post by usycool1
You'd upload them on a private forum so it won't be flagged up.

Ok, thank you. And roughly how many people would have access to it?
How long is this service available for? I'm applying to university this year so this would be really helpful for me :biggrin:

Only the PS helpers and staff. I don't know the number but all the PS helpers are at Uni or beyond (and have been checked to make sure they are).
Original post by usycool1
Only the PS helpers and staff. I don't know the number but all the PS helpers are at Uni or beyond (and have been checked to make sure they are).

Thanks. Will upload mine soon then if that is okay :smile:
Thanks. Will upload mine soon then if that is okay :smile:

That's fine, but endeavour to write something you're happy with as there is no guarantee that we'll be able to look at it more than once.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
How long is this service available for? I'm applying to university this year so this would be really helpful for me :biggrin:

It should be available in perpetuity. Obviously this is subject to the whims of the TSR admin team and the goodwill and continued participation of the volunteers.

Why is somebody who has not applied to university being touted as a "Clearing and Applications Advisor"? This isn't an attack - I have not paid much attention to TSR developments and am curious.
Original post by ByronicHero
It should be available in perpetuity. Obviously this is subject to the whims of the TSR admin team and the goodwill and continued participation of the volunteers.

Why is somebody who has not applied to university being touted as a "Clearing and Applications Advisor"? This isn't an attack - I have not paid much attention to TSR developments and am curious.

I have applied to university before, but had to resit a year in school instead due to personal circumstances. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I have applied to university before, but had to resit a year in school instead due to personal circumstances. :smile:

I see. Well best of luck with your application!
Oh nice, very pleased that this service is back! :borat:
Reply 13

i will have access to it and il use it
Reply 14
I have submitted my own personal statement. Hopefully can reviewed as soon as possible :biggrin:
How long do I have to upload it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
How long do I have to upload it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're applying in this current cycle, you have until probably around mid December to upload it. The service (in previous years anyway) was really busy close to the January deadline so if you really want a review you will need to factor in how busy the reviewers will be.
Original post by Charlotte49

If you're applying in this current cycle, you have until probably around mid December to upload it. The service (in previous years anyway) was really busy close to the January deadline so if you really want a review you will need to factor in how busy the reviewers will be.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I think somebody has listed me as "Less than 100 posts" by mistake my profile shows that I have made 124 posts
Please see the screenshot

Many Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by marion771

This has been rectified now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending