The Student Room Group

The better school for IB?

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable here so I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out here.

I'll keep it short. I have the opportunity to study at either University or Leeds or Coventry University.

Which one would give me a higher chance of landing an internship at an IB? I know both are non-targets but I hear Leeds still has some pretty decent amount of FO alumni in the City.

Thanks
Original post by Leviathas
Hey guys, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable here so I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out here.

I'll keep it short. I have the opportunity to study at either University or Leeds or Coventry University.

Which one would give me a higher chance of landing an internship at an IB? I know both are non-targets but I hear Leeds still has some pretty decent amount of FO alumni in the City.

Thanks

This is a no brainer....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
This is a no brainer....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it sounds silly bro but I'm really frightened that unless I graduate from a target (and maybe the top semi-targets) I won't really break in IBD.

Is it worth the hassle? Would transferring to Leeds from Coventry give me a higher chance?
I know it sounds silly bro but I'm really frightened that unless I graduate from a target (and maybe the top semi-targets) I won't really break in IBD.

Is it worth the hassle? Would transferring to Leeds from Coventry give me a higher chance?

Yes, yes it would

Posted from TSR Mobile
LSE hands down. Pick LSE over either of the two.
Reply 5
Original post by MDmcDeeezeNuts
LSE hands down. Pick LSE over either of the two.

I can only choose between Leeds, Coventry and Westminster
Reply 6
I can only choose between Leeds, Coventry and Westminster

Why didn't you mention Westminster in the first place so that we'd have the full picture?
Reply 7
Original post by KTS89
Why didn't you mention Westminster in the first place so that we'd have the full picture?

Because it's easily one of the few worst universities in the UK and it's at the bottom of every ranking
leeds > westminster > coventry
Reply 9
Original post by tanyapotter
leeds > westminster > coventry

Thank you

Is that ranking based on overall quality of the university or my chances of getting an internship from said uni?
Thank you

Is that ranking based on overall quality of the university or my chances of getting an internship from said uni?

Both, I really don't see the comparison between Leeds and Coventry here. If you have the opportunity to move to Leeds (I'm assuming you do, or is this speculative?), then take it with both hands.

One of my good buds goes to Leeds, he's off to JPMorgan in Markets next year. The people involved in the finance/trading soc are all heading to great places and the alumni network in the city seems very receptive to networking. It well and truly is, a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Princepieman
Both, I really don't see the comparison between Leeds and Coventry here. If you have the opportunity to move to Leeds (I'm assuming you do, or is this speculative?), then take it with both hands.

One of my good buds goes to Leeds, he's off to JPMorgan in Markets next year. The people involved in the finance/trading soc are all heading to great places and the alumni network in the city seems very receptive to networking. It well and truly is, a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I firmed the offer for their Applied Computer Science course (starting at year 2) but I still have time to change my mind if I want.

Very comforting to hear that, I also spoke with some of the guys at the trading society there and literally everyone I spoke to has a FO offer when they graduate. 3 guys are at Citi, 2 at Rotschild and a girl in HSBC.
I firmed the offer for their Applied Computer Science course (starting at year 2) but I still have time to change my mind if I want.

Very comforting to hear that, I also spoke with some of the guys at the trading society there and literally everyone I spoke to has a FO offer when they graduate. 3 guys are at Citi, 2 at Rotschild and a girl in HSBC.

Course means squat for FO, even then applied comp sci is a solid one at that.

Indeed, they've all smashed it. Hold on to your offer there dude, the bump up in reputation and access is well worth it. Best of luck with the future :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply